Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:25 PM   #1
Obechkinsbuddy
Minors (Single A)

Historical vs present day

I’ve played about 32 seasons of my OOTP save present day. I’ve never done a historical one. I understand the game remains similar in many ways maybe see less/more of certain stats (innings pitched etc) depending on the era. I’ll probably wait till OOTP 21 but do you all find doing a historical sim more or less fun than just doing regular what are some similarities differences. Just trying to decide if it’s worth doing because I can’t do two at once. Too much going on. Thanks!
Obechkinsbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:17 PM   #2
swoboda
All Star Starter

I've been playing historical for many years I highly recommend it.
Allows you to set up a league with great teams and near great teams from different eras.

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:59 PM   #3
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

I think it is different for everyone. I thought I would like historical, especially being able to play with my all time favorite baseball player Carl Yastrzemski. I've found though that I always get bored super quick because you know who to draft without needing to really scout them. I've also tried purely fictional and have a difficult time forming any kind of connection to the players and the league. So for me the "happy medium" has been to start at the current year or only a couple of years back so that I can start off with familiar players but as I sim there is a smooth transition into a fictional universe that is unpredictable. But that's just my experience and everyone here seems to have their own different ways in which to play this game. It is definitely worth trying at least once though. Some people here swear by historical sims and replays.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:31 PM   #4
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

I used-to always play historical, and can still enjoy that mode, but about 3 years ago I did a modern MLB Start for the first time, and now it is the mode I enjoy the most; around the same time, I also nixed the Stars, and set the trade AI to very difficult / favor prospects, and at this point, I would be hard pressed to want to play another way. I also add-in the ***, KBO, Mexican league, and the WBC, and that is my game.

For me, starting with current MLB and then working into a gradually more unknowable baseball universe I find more challenging and interesting. Dyzalot is right, it forces you to focus on things like the draft, scouting and player development. It also allows me to form connections with the fictional players a bit easier as they are introduced into the world more gradually, and I can focus on them as they begin to interact with the sim, and play with / against current players. I’ve also found that the game connects me even more to current baseball news, and the draft (at least early-on); as the sim progresses it is also interesting to see what the real-life counterparts are doing. Of course, then there is the OOTP challenge of building that team over the next 10 / 15+ years; there is a bit of a RPG element to it as well, because I am taking a real franchise, with all of its strength and issues, and seeing what I can do to improve it.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:05 PM   #5
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Historical with settings so players might not perform as in RL.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:30 AM   #6
zappa1
All Star Starter

I play historical. The modern game bores me. I tried. I started the season 2019 and played about 15 games into the season. Lost interest and back to my historical seasons I have going. Works for me.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:33 AM   #7
SkoCubs
Minors (Single A)

The thing that keeps me away from historical is that it’s not as precise and well done, or finished is a better way to put it. To provide an example, if you check the draft where Craig Biggio is available he won’t have infield or outfield range. Another example is Mark Prior, he put up like 8 WAR as a 22 year old and he can’t get an 80 POT? Really? Another example is Nomar Garciaparra, sure he was never Omar Vizquel but he’ll have defensive ratings that make you NEVER even consider putting him at SS.

Finally, it’s tough for me to get around the idea that you can import prime Troy Tulowitzki and the editor will say his projected OPS is .890.
SkoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:35 AM   #8
SkoCubs
Minors (Single A)

Forgot to add another great example, start a 90’s Braves dynasty and check Chipper Jones and Andruw Jones defense. You’ll be trading Jones to an AL team or enabling the DH in half a second. Hope you’re excited to have Jones be in a corner position by the time he’s 25.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:37 AM   #9
SkoCubs
Minors (Single A)

Forgot to add another great example. Start a mid 90’s Braves sim. You’ll see Chipper Jones defense and trading him to the AL or enabling the DH in the NL in half a second. Check Andruw Jones defense, you don’t have CF locked down for the next fifteen years like you expect you do.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:39 PM   #10
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

I use circa 1990-1991 modifiers even with current players. I find this keeps the strike out and home run totals from getting ridiculous.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:49 PM   #11
Argonaut
All Star Starter

I like modern MLB for online leagues, and historical for solo play. In previous versions of OOTP I just played modern, and always got bored after I won the World Series (usually in 3 years).

This is my first year playing historical and after some trial and error I've found settings that I like for my Rangers dynasty. I've played from 1972 to 1985 so far, and don't see myself stopping until I reach the present day. That's obviously kept me much more engaged than the usual 3 year save. Full re-history of Rangers baseball, lots of fun.

If I finish that save I have a couple more ideas on historical scenarios I wanna try.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:56 PM   #12
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkoCubs View Post
The thing that keeps me away from historical is that it’s not as precise and well done, or finished is a better way to put it. To provide an example, if you check the draft where Craig Biggio is available he won’t have infield or outfield range. Another example is Mark Prior, he put up like 8 WAR as a 22 year old and he can’t get an 80 POT? Really? Another example is Nomar Garciaparra, sure he was never Omar Vizquel but he’ll have defensive ratings that make you NEVER even consider putting him at SS.

Finally, it’s tough for me to get around the idea that you can import prime Troy Tulowitzki and the editor will say his projected OPS is .890.
I ran into this problem too. I started a 1986 replay of the Boston Red Sox to see if I could get them back to the WS and maybe win. But what I found was a team with defensive ratings that were horrible, especially in center field and shortstop. It made no sense to me.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:01 PM   #13
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
I ran into this problem too. I started a 1986 replay of the Boston Red Sox to see if I could get them back to the WS and maybe win. But what I found was a team with defensive ratings that were horrible, especially in center field and shortstop. It made no sense to me.
Defensive ratings are tricky to get right in historical. I found that 3-Year Re-Calc works the best for me.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:56 PM   #14
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

I started in 1871 and currently in 1946 and enjoying it very much.

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote