Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:57 PM   #1
Bluejays
Minors (Single A)

The Draft & Scouting

Hi, maybe i'm just doing it wrong but in I've played 3 seasons so far and each of the three drafts I've never seen a prospect with over 3.5 star rating, my scout is favour tools and has excellent scouting for minors and draft eligibles as well under settings my scouting accuracy is listed as high. I haven't seen this happen in my previous ootp games where the first few seasons the draft hasn't been good. Im playing as the Jays and i've had top 5 picks each of the seasons. I assign my scout to scout many of the draft eligible players when they get listed and my scouting budget is listed at 18million. Is this how i'm supposed to utilize the new scouting system, could someone explain it a bit and try to give me some feedback on my draft problem. thanks
Bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:53 PM   #2
thesmokeshow
Minors (Double A)

Kinda wondering the same thing. In the 2021 draft, I have the #1 pick with Baltimore. And there is seemingly zero blue chip prospects at my disposal.

Is it possible for some of these 2.5-3.5 star potential prospects to turn into superstars or is it just a weak draft? And will there be more 4 and 5 star prospects as seasons progress?

Just don’t remember there not being high end prospects available on every draft for the last few editions of OOTP.
thesmokeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:26 PM   #3
LooneyOne
Minors (Single A)

I have played 3 seasons to test things out, and each draft was more of the same .. 2.5 - 3.5 stars by my own scout, no 4 or 5 star potential prospects while OSA had more than a handful of players with 4 to 5 star potentials .. maybe we are suppose to request scouting reports for every player in the draft to get more accurate ratings? .. im confused by it too ..

LooneyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:20 AM   #4
Bluejays
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooneyOne View Post
maybe we are suppose to request scouting reports for every player in the draft to get more accurate ratings? .. im confused by it too ..
I did manually assign my scout the top like 65 prospects when the prospects list gets announced and nothing changed.
Bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:38 AM   #5
LooneyOne
Minors (Single A)

I havent simmed more than 3 seasons yet, but the few players that OSA had 5 star potential on, my scout only had a about 3 to 3.5 potential for them, even though i requested scouting reports for them .. those players were drafted with the first few picks in the draft .. i hope this isnt the same issue as ootp20 where OSA had accurate potential ratings for all prospects cuz that would render my own scout obsolete .. but like i said, maybe im just doing it wrong ..

LooneyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:39 AM   #6
El_Sid
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejays View Post
I did manually assign my scout the top like 65 prospects when the prospects list gets announced and nothing changed.
Same. I added a ton of players from the draft pool to my scouts task list. I simmed to the next day and they were all gone. Did the same with my AAA team and again, sim to the next day and the list is empty.
El_Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:47 AM   #7
thesmokeshow
Minors (Double A)

Hopefully someone that knows the answers to some this can shed some light. I was really excited for the revamped scouting and I’m just not seeing it so far. It seems very similar to past editions specifically when talking about amateurs and the draft.

Maybe the revamped scouting has more to do with the players around the MLB and prospects that are already on MLB teams. But it would be great to get more information on what to expect when it comes to scouting.

Because if OSA is reliable for the draft, then what would the point be of scouting manually or even paying much attention to your Head Scout?

Certainly not trying to bash the game as there are plenty of awesome things about it. However, it would be nice to have a better understanding on how some of the scouting stuff works under the hood.
thesmokeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:41 AM   #8
LegalEagle80
Minors (Double A)

It might just be an issue if you use stars as the judge, but I agree, they're too low. Many first round picks should have 5 star potential. I understand, and like how scout assessments vary but as it stands it seems like there's no such thing as a good prospect.
LegalEagle80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:10 AM   #9
Max Boyer
Minors (Double A)

Have you tested with a maximum budget and what is the scouting precision?
I’m curious! Thanks
Old 03-19-2020, 11:17 AM   #10
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle80 View Post
It might just be an issue if you use stars as the judge, but I agree, they're too low. Many first round picks should have 5 star potential. I understand, and like how scout assessments vary but as it stands it seems like there's no such thing as a good prospect.
There are something like 30 non relief pitchers in the entire MLB roster set, current players and prospects included, that have 5 star potential (using real ratings, not with scouting on). Probably around half of those are international players who didn't come through the draft.

As far as prospects specifically go, there are 7 of these.

So given the matrix we use, more than one or two of these guys in a given draft would not be realistic. It would be significant overkill.

That being said, we did just boost the potentials of a few of the top guys in the next 2-3 drafts, so the quality of the top players in the draft should be slightly improved in this patch.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 03-19-2020 at 04:33 PM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:26 AM   #11
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I don't use star ratings, and I've only done one draft, and I was kind of half-doing it, but I was the Yankees and with my pick in the first round I got a player with a 50 potential by my scout, which seems about right. I don't know how many drafts there are where there so many obvious studs right away. Fans/scouts love to dream on players, but how many first round picks become stars?

Even FanGraphs for this upcoming draft only has two players with a Future Value rating greater than 55, which for hitters means about above average regular and for pitchers is around a solid #3 starter. The point is to draft and develop past those ratings (or in OOTP, get lucky I guess). I don't think there's anything wrong with the draft classes, although I don't exactly know what a 3 star prospect is on the 20-80 overall scale in OOTP, but I'm going to guess probably around a 45-50.
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #12
LegalEagle80
Minors (Double A)

Interesting. With scouting on I would still imagine that scouts would overrate a player as much as underrating them though, thus there would still appear to be 5 star potential players in every draft.

Or is the reality that real-life scouts rarely consider any draft prospect anything more than a 2.5 to 3 star/50-55 rated player? I never considered that.
LegalEagle80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:40 PM   #13
Dad
Bat Boy

Stats for HS/College Players.

I noticed that the stats for HS/College players seem to add up to 110+ games in multiple 20 game sets. Is this a bug or are they playing that many games? For example, Luke Leto in my game played 116 games in HS with 16 HRS and 137 Rbi's.
Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:09 PM   #14
koolkerns101
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
I noticed that the stats for HS/College players seem to add up to 110+ games in multiple 20 game sets. Is this a bug or are they playing that many games? For example, Luke Leto in my game played 116 games in HS with 16 HRS and 137 Rbi's.
This seems like a bug. I'm having something similar happen but in 5 separate 40-60 game sets.
koolkerns101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:26 PM   #15
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Yes, it looks like draft players were getting the stats created multiple times accidentally. I believe this should be fixed in the version released just now.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote