Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:23 PM   #1
daysauce
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Issues with followers

When I have a follower in the rotation during simulations, the AI tend to utilize the follower as another bullpen arm. I've noticed this in both perfect team and offline play. Is there a way around it other than not setting the pitcher as a follower until prior to his "starting" spot comes up?
daysauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #2
x McLovin x
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysauce View Post
When I have a follower in the rotation during simulations, the AI tend to utilize the follower as another bullpen arm. I've noticed this in both perfect team and offline play. Is there a way around it other than not setting the pitcher as a follower until prior to his "starting" spot comes up?
I've had this same thing happen to me several times and actually asked about in another thread although I don't think the developers had a chance to see it. It is pretty frustrating when this happens because it basically burns 2 "starting pitchers" in one game. My workaround has been to manually bench the other follower for 1 game when a follower is schedule to play, but I would love a mechanized solution for this as it's very tedious.
x McLovin x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:07 PM   #3
daysauce
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x McLovin x View Post
I've had this same thing happen to me several times and actually asked about in another thread although I don't think the developers had a chance to see it. It is pretty frustrating when this happens because it basically burns 2 "starting pitchers" in one game. My workaround has been to manually bench the other follower for 1 game when a follower is schedule to play, but I would love a mechanized solution for this as it's very tedious.
You'd think it's not that hard to fix.. I'd guess that as of now, followers are regarded as bullpen arms by the game and thus would be pressed into service when needed.. all they gotta do is add a line of code that says followers are "not relievers" and therefore covered under the "allow SP in relief = no" check
Old 05-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #4
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

We only will use guys from the rotation (whether they have a follower tag set or not) as an extreme last resort case if nobody else in the bullpen is available. I know a patch or two back they were used in some cases otherwise, but that should have been fixed sometime in the last couple patches (I forget which one it was fixed in).
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:04 PM   #5
daysauce
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
We only will use guys from the rotation (whether they have a follower tag set or not) as an extreme last resort case if nobody else in the bullpen is available. I know a patch or two back they were used in some cases otherwise, but that should have been fixed sometime in the last couple patches (I forget which one it was fixed in).
Ok thank you.. I'll try some more sims with an eight-man bullpen.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:57 AM   #6
daysauce
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
I'm noticing some more issues with this... As seen in the first picture, my opener (Bridges) pitched the 1st inning as planned. Then, my intended follower (Kershaw) entered the game and was soundly knocked out recording only one out. At that point, I had more than enough rested arms in the bullpen. That's evident by their usage later on in the same game, in fact, there were other unused relievers with two days rest. However, the game decided to pitch my other follower (Corbin) on two days rest. In the second picture is the pitching settings I had (strange staff isn't it), although my primary long reliever was unavailable, I nonetheless had another somewhat rested reliever whose secondary role is long reliever (Bieber) available. There were many options available, yet the AI decided to pitch a guy who's meant to be in the rotation. Also seen in the second picture, I have allow SP in relief set to no and rotation mode set to strict order in effort to avoid something like this, but that's not helping. Honestly, if they end up using Corbin later in the game after my other bullpen options are depleted, I'd understand. But, using other pitchers in the rotation in the 2nd inning with many other relievers ready to go, I do not understand

TL,DR in a situation I wouldn't call "extreme last resort," a follower in my rotation was used
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 08-02-2019, 08:01 AM   #7
daysauce
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I just realized opponent's pitching line in the boxscore isn't so right. I wasn't able to replicate it, but here's the right version
Attached Images
Old 08-02-2019, 11:54 AM   #8
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that the best procedure is to put followers into the starting rotation with the "follower" strategy designation and openers in the bullpen with the secondary role of "opener". Then the followers won't be called on to relieve. There's a risk that no opener will be available when a follower's turn in the rotation comes around, but in that case the game will use him as a starter.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:39 PM   #9
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomVeal View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that the best procedure is to put followers into the starting rotation with the "follower" strategy designation and openers in the bullpen with the secondary role of "opener". Then the followers won't be called on to relieve. There's a risk that no opener will be available when a follower's turn in the rotation comes around, but in that case the game will use him as a starter.
Unless I've been missing something, there is no ability to set roles for pitchers placed in the rotation.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:23 PM   #10
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is the best way. You set the role to be follower in the individual player strategy section.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:56 PM   #11
daysauce
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
That is what I'm doing, but I'm still running into the problem above. Seems it's best if there isn't more than one follower in the rotation
Old 08-02-2019, 09:27 PM   #12
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysauce View Post
You'd think it's not that hard to fix.. k

There is a very simple fix. Don't use openers/followers.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:40 PM   #13
daysauce
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
There is a very simple fix. Don't use openers/followers.