Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2021, 10:26 PM   #1
nebben
Minors (Double A)

Deadball Names No Longer Working

I've successfully used the Deadball Names list in the past, but today when doing some testing for a new league, I noticed all the player names are Jim Unknown. When I replace the Deadball Names files with the original name files that came with the game, no more issues. All fictional players get unique names.

But when I swap the name files back to the Deadball Names files, all new players are Jim Unknown.

Not sure if this is related to the latest patch, or if it's something specific to my system. I did uninstall and reinstall a fresh OOTP 22, just to be safe, and still the Deadball Names files no longer work for me.
nebben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:09 AM   #2
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

You'll need to provide a lot more information. What deadball-era names file are you talking about? Are you trying to use it in version 22? When you say that it has worked in the past, has it only worked in past versions or has it worked in your current version of the game? Are you using your own names files or somebody else's? When you downloaded the latest patch, did it overwrite your names files?
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:56 AM   #3
nebben
Minors (Double A)

Gotcha. Here are the two name files I'm talking about: American (historical) first & last names

I started playing OOTP with 21 and this has worked with every version/update until this latest patch (22.9.76). The latest patch didn't overwrite the name files. I even downloaded them fresh and reinstalled in the DB, but still the game isn't recognizing these name files for some reason.

I'm on a Mac and use Steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
You'll need to provide a lot more information. What deadball-era names file are you talking about? Are you trying to use it in version 22? When you say that it has worked in the past, has it only worked in past versions or has it worked in your current version of the game? Are you using your own names files or somebody else's? When you downloaded the latest patch, did it overwrite your names files?
Old 09-30-2021, 10:48 AM   #4
nebben
Minors (Double A)

After more testing, this only happens in custom games. It is not happening in historical games, even in historical games in which I generate fictional players.

I can use/create fictional players in a historical game, and the game recognizes the name files in question, generating players using those names. But when I start a custom game, no luck. Instead, the game generates players using the GM player's name (mine).
Old 09-30-2021, 08:26 PM   #5
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebben View Post
After more testing, this only happens in custom games. It is not happening in historical games, even in historical games in which I generate fictional players.

I can use/create fictional players in a historical game, and the game recognizes the name files in question, generating players using those names. But when I start a custom game, no luck. Instead, the game generates players using the GM player's name (mine).
I honestly have no idea what's happening. It's probably a good idea for you to drop a note in the bugs forum.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:37 AM   #6
nebben
Minors (Double A)

Thanks, bug submitted. I wondered if that was the right thing to do, but wanted to check with others before submitting it. I appreciate your help.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:58 AM   #7
nebben
Minors (Double A)

UPDATE: One of the OOTP 22 developers suggested a fix that works.

Add "english" to the name files. For example, change the name of the files to names_english.txt and first_names_english.txt.

In the latest patch, the devs created localized versions of name files (i.e., english, Korean, etc.). So, I'm guessing all name mods going forward will need to have the language added for them to work.
Old 10-08-2021, 10:41 AM   #8
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebben View Post
UPDATE: One of the OOTP 22 developers suggested a fix that works.

Add "english" to the name files. For example, change the name of the files to names_english.txt and first_names_english.txt.

In the latest patch, the devs created localized versions of name files (i.e., english, Korean, etc.). So, I'm guessing all name mods going forward will need to have the language added for them to work.
That's good to know. I thought the "_english" was optional, but it looks like it's not.