Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
madball6
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Home Run Derby?

Hi, I'm new to the game with ootp15, and i was wondering if there was ever a home run derby incorporated into the game during the all-star break. Or has it been pretty much disregarded as meaningless fluff?

-Madball
madball6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

The second one.

It'd be nice to see at some point, though, even just as a news story about [random player A in the top 10% of HRs] winning the Home Run Derby.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
Hooray Saturday
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
The second one.

It'd be nice to see at some point, though, even just as a news story about [random player A in the top 10% of HRs] winning the Home Run Derby.
and maybe have the winner go into a long second half slump because he messed his swing up by winning the HR derby!
Hooray Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
OpeningDay85
Minors (Single A)

Below is something that I have done in the past.

Basically create a new league with 2 teams. Clone the top 9 HR hitters from each league and put their clone on the specific AL/NL team. Create a few average joe batting practice pitchers and put them on the teams as well. Edit the ballpark factors to allow for maximum HR's.

Schedule the series at the correct time (I think it has to be a series) but designate 1 of those games to be the HRD.

After you can edit the champions BIO to reflect that he won the HRD.

I think I did this a few seasons with OOTP11? Always backup your game before you do this just in case.

Welcome to the 1939 Home Run Derby!

The Derby will consist of nine players from each the United and Patriot League. The game will be played in "The Launching Pad" in sunny San Diego, California on Monday, July 17th.

Game Info: The batters will hit in order (1-9) based on how many home runs they have on the year. It is set up this way so that the league leaders have the possibility to have an extra at-bat during the game. The pitchers will act just like batting practice pitchers. They will only have a mediocre fastball, outstanding command, zero movement, a low GB% and outstanding stamina to boot. I have set the "team strategy" to have a very slow hook on the pitcher. Also, I have edited the stadium to allow for a lot of home runs during the game. The winner of the Home Run Derby will be the participant who hits the most home runs during the game. If there is a tie, the tie breaker will be season home run totals to date. If it is still tied after that, I will make a commissioners decision and award the winner the Home Run Derby Champion title. All players participating in the Home Run Derby receive a moral boost.

A day after the Home Run Derby, the All-Star Game will occur, and the players participating will also receive a moral boost.

The participants: Name, Team (# HR)

PATRIOT League

Jesus Alvarez, ALB (19)
Jose Guardado, BOISE (16)
Ollie Green, ALB (15)
William Hicks, BOISE (15)
Ernest Jones, TAC (15)
Lee Lachance, BOISE (15)
Randy Glover, TAC (13)
Grant Gray, TAC (11)
Gary Ward, ALB (11)

UNITED League

Jose Morales, FRES (17)
Garry Henry, DEN (15)
Hector Ortiz, LV (15)
Marvin Watson, LV (13)
Reginald Boone, DEN (10)
Josh Dillon, LV (10)
Peyton Parker, SF (10)
Brady Fisher, DEN (9)
Lorenzo Tellez, SF (9)

RESULTS *Randy Glover is our 1939 Home Run Derby Champion!

OpeningDay85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
boogeyboard1
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpeningDay85 View Post
Below is something that I have done in the past.

Basically create a new league with 2 teams. Clone the top 9 HR hitters from each league and put their clone on the specific AL/NL team. Create a few average joe batting practice pitchers and put them on the teams as well. Edit the ballpark factors to allow for maximum HR's.

Schedule the series at the correct time (I think it has to be a series) but designate 1 of those games to be the HRD.

After you can edit the champions BIO to reflect that he won the HRD.

I think I did this a few seasons with OOTP11? Always backup your game before you do this just in case.

Welcome to the 1939 Home Run Derby!

The Derby will consist of nine players from each the United and Patriot League. The game will be played in "The Launching Pad" in sunny San Diego, California on Monday, July 17th.

Game Info: The batters will hit in order (1-9) based on how many home runs they have on the year. It is set up this way so that the league leaders have the possibility to have an extra at-bat during the game. The pitchers will act just like batting practice pitchers. They will only have a mediocre fastball, outstanding command, zero movement, a low GB% and outstanding stamina to boot. I have set the "team strategy" to have a very slow hook on the pitcher. Also, I have edited the stadium to allow for a lot of home runs during the game. The winner of the Home Run Derby will be the participant who hits the most home runs during the game. If there is a tie, the tie breaker will be season home run totals to date. If it is still tied after that, I will make a commissioners decision and award the winner the Home Run Derby Champion title. All players participating in the Home Run Derby receive a moral boost.

A day after the Home Run Derby, the All-Star Game will occur, and the players participating will also receive a moral boost.

The participants: Name, Team (# HR)

PATRIOT League

Jesus Alvarez, ALB (19)
Jose Guardado, BOISE (16)
Ollie Green, ALB (15)
William Hicks, BOISE (15)
Ernest Jones, TAC (15)
Lee Lachance, BOISE (15)
Randy Glover, TAC (13)
Grant Gray, TAC (11)
Gary Ward, ALB (11)

UNITED League

Jose Morales, FRES (17)
Garry Henry, DEN (15)
Hector Ortiz, LV (15)
Marvin Watson, LV (13)
Reginald Boone, DEN (10)
Josh Dillon, LV (10)
Peyton Parker, SF (10)
Brady Fisher, DEN (9)
Lorenzo Tellez, SF (9)

RESULTS *Randy Glover is our 1939 Home Run Derby Champion!

That is a good idea. I think I'll give it a shot.
boogeyboard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
OpeningDay85
Minors (Single A)

It took a few tweaks here and there to get it right so I suggest you making a copy of your league and do all the trial runs in that one. Once you get it right. Use that info in your real league.

I usually gave a boost to the winner... I know in real life it seems like the opposite but I wanted to give the players incentive on participating and winning.

Let me know your results!
Old 05-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
OpeningDay85
Minors (Single A)

Here was another result of the HRD.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #8
boogeyboard1
All Star Starter

Quote:
Here was another result of the HRD.

What how long were your games?
Old 05-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
OpeningDay85
Minors (Single A)

It's a game that is simmed, not played out.All you are looking for are the HR totals at the end.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #10
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Someone, I think it was hfield007, developed a good out-of-game way of simulating a HR derby. I forget which version's forum it was in though.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #11
boogeyboard1
All Star Starter

Quote:
It's a game that is simmed, not played out.All you are looking for are the HR totals at the end.
Right, I understand.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #12
skalepp
Minors (Double A)

Could you insert a screenshot of the park factors you have for this?
skalepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #13
hfield007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheorem View Post
Someone, I think it was hfield007, developed a good out-of-game way of simulating a HR derby. I forget which version's forum it was in though.

I don't take credit for the Homerun derby idea as i got it from someone years ago on this forum.

I take the 4 top homerun hitters from each league that made the all-star game

On the 1-20 ratings scale i check each players power.

eg:
Player A - 16
Player B - 10
Player C - 20

I then double their power.

Player A - 32
Player B - 20
Player C - 40

Then i go to random.org and using their 1-100 integer generator on the main page I click.

when player A is up, anything 1-32 is a homerun. 33-100 is an out.

10 outs a round.

It works fairly well and realistic in my experience. I've seen 0 rounds and monster 18 homer rounds.
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #14
OpeningDay85
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalepp View Post
Could you insert a screenshot of the park factors you have for this?
I don't have the factors, this was from a old version of OOTP.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:43 PM   #15
boogeyboard1
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfield007 View Post
I don't take credit for the Homerun derby idea as i got it from someone years ago on this forum.

I take the 4 top homerun hitters from each league that made the all-star game

On the 1-20 ratings scale i check each players power.

eg:
Player A - 16
Player B - 10
Player C - 20

I then double their power.

Player A - 32
Player B - 20
Player C - 40

Then i go to random.org and using their 1-100 integer generator on the main page I click.

when player A is up, anything 1-32 is a homerun. 33-100 is an out.

10 outs a round.

It works fairly well and realistic in my experience. I've seen 0 rounds and monster 18 homer rounds.
Great method, a much easier alternative to setting up a whole new league for it.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:16 AM   #16
kq76
Global Moderator

I love both of these ideas! I like hfield's just a bit more though because it sounds easier and you can do a tournament that way. I think I'll do up a spreadsheet to do it though. Yeah, it won't be "truly random" like random.org says it is, but it'll be a lot faster and I might even be able to make it "play out" like a real derby.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:18 AM   #17
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfield007 View Post
Was it from Hammer here? I'm just curious for any other ideas.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:47 AM   #18
kq76
Global Moderator

So with how great a success this year's derby was with it's new format, if one were to do something like hfield did above, does anyone have any ideas on how you could simulate both the time clock into it and add the bonus time?

My only idea on how to simulate the clock is to give each player a set # of swings (i.e. random numbers). You'd have to do some testing to see how many chances to give them, but if the average participant has say a 1 in 3 chance of hitting a homer each attempt and if you want say an average of 12 homers per go (that's about how much they averaged this year and apparently it was quite exciting), then maybe allow for 12*3=36 chances. Or maybe 9*3=27 as that's a better baseball number with extra for bonus time.

We could probably use the power ratings and random numbers to give distances for each shot too, for calculating bonus time. The average home run is what, about 400 feet? The shortest, about 325? The longest, 475, with a very rare chance of up to 525? So a range of 325-525 on a bell curve sounds workable.