Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:23 PM   #1
jmknpk2
All Star Reserve

Reasons to use Spritze instead of the default?

I believe the OOTP 18 default game database has been being gradually increased and built up. I think it now has negro league players, etc.

I have not played much in historical mode.

Can someone list the main reasons I would want to use the Spritze database instead of the default that comes with OOTP 18?

Also, would there be any drawbacks?

I plan on playing in Challenge Mode, if that would make any difference.
jmknpk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:13 PM   #2
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmknpk2 View Post
I believe the OOTP 18 default game database has been being gradually increased and built up. I think it now has negro league players, etc.

I have not played much in historical mode.

Can someone list the main reasons I would want to use the Spritze database instead of the default that comes with OOTP 18?

Also, would there be any drawbacks?

I plan on playing in Challenge Mode, if that would make any difference.
If you are playing historical i would use the default. If you are playing random debut i would use Spritze as the Negro Leaguers, KBO, FED and *** players will not import. Drawback for historical with Spritze. i can only think of one. Not all players will debut with their actual 1st team. Some players will go to the team they were most famous for. So Bobby Bonilla played for the White Sox in 1986, traded to PIT in 1986
and probably would debut with them. The default should have Bonilla go to CWS. i could be wrong on this.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:02 PM   #3
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Because doing otherwise Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig are not Yankees and start as a free agents. Actually pretty much everyone starts as a free agent pre-1965. If you want that instead of the team a player is most associated with just turn on the draft. If you want them on their real teams activate historical transactions.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:52 AM   #4
sprague
All Star Starter

Because spritze gives you more set up options.
You can have any number of teams, I start in 1890 with 24 teams, as many minors as you want. The players come in around 19.

With the standard db to get minor league players you are stuck using the exact historical format. I like customizing my historical league as I want.

Small minor vs spritze is some minor league players get rated a bit too good at times, I have to edit a few to keep things even for mlb stars, and if I am playing no recalc I have to bump star pitchers gb rate by 10 or 15 % to assure they are the league stars.

Beyond that, the standard db that comes with the game should have the flexibility the old spritze db gave, to set up any league structure you want from 6 teams to to 56 teams and still get all the minor league players.
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

you can always change a few players you care a bit more about and make sure they go to certain team with a few edits, i assume. unless it's specifically prevented.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:55 PM   #6
jmknpk2
All Star Reserve

I will start out trying the Spritze database and go back to the default if things don't turn out to my liking.
I would like the team and league structure to match real life history, including minors whenever Branch Rickey comes along.
I'd like players to start their rookie season with the best real life career team (e.g. Ruth with Yankees), so that I don't need to worry about manually forcing trades, etc. Hopefully a "very low" setting for AI trades will keep my universe more or less that way.

Here are the settings I have starting in 1902 with the Cardinals:

Color Barrier un-checked.
I'd like to have negro players in the MLB in my universe.

AI Trading Frequency: Very Low
Hope to keep teams with their "Best" real life career team.I'd like Honus Wagner with the Pirates, Babe Ruth with the Yankees, etc. Not too concerned about lesser known players. Of course negro league players will now be in my MLB universe, so some things will necessarily deviate from real life history. And I may try to grab Honus Wagner for the Cardinals.

Not quite sure about the following settings:
Enable Amateur Draft: checked.
Disable Automatic Creation of Free Agents and Fictional Draft Class: checked.
Use pre-defined draft value for AI: un-checked.
Amateur Draft Number of Rounds: 15
Enable Advanced Draftee Signing (Signing Bonus Negotiations): un-checked.

Yearly Inflation: 0% - 0%
Enable Reserve-Clause Era Rules: checked

I'm thinking I probably should change the following. Should I change these later down the line when Free Agency starts? I think players like Babe Ruth did get longer deals before Free Agency. Don't really know how to set these because I've never played a universe with the Reserve Clause:

Remaining Salary owed if Player is cut: 15 percent
Multi-year Contracts given: Only Star Players
Guaranteed Contracts given: Only Star Players

Contract Extensions: Allowed (in case I'd like one, with the understanding other AI teams might offer extensions as well).

Hoping these settings will result in real life historical schedules:
Allow Rainouts: un-checked
Force Start on Certain Weekday: un-checked
Auto adjust date if matching XML schedule found
Select Typical Series Length: 3 games
Schedule Balance: checked "Use Balanced Schedule Format".
Interleague Play: un-checked. Probably won't change this unless I get up into the 1990s.
Schedule loaded from file: I just left the default value alone.

Generate International Amateur Free Agents: None
International Scouting Discoveries (per Team): None
Generate International Established Free Agents: None
Generate Free Agents from Independent Leagues: None <- Not too sure about this one. I believe Bob Feller, etc. was found in independent leagues?

Automatically import historical player-creation modifiers: checked

Historical Year: 1902
Automatically expand league: checked
Expansion Mode: Hold Expansion Draft
Protected Players per Team: 15
Auto-protect Players with less than X Pro Service Years: 3 years
Limit of Picks from a single Team: No limit

Import & maintain real minor leagues: checked <- I'm hoping that when real life minor league teams come into existence, they will automatically evolve in my game universe.

Base player roles/positions on: Real life stats
Automatically adjust league strategy when advancing to next season: Real life stats
Import adjusted financial settings after each year: checked

Retire players according to history: un-checked <- I would like "what if "scenarios for players that still can perform.

Players miss seasons according to history: un-checked <- I won't have wars in my fictional game universe. Another "what if" feature I prefer.

Automatically import historical rookies: checked -< Maybe I should un-check this so that players start with their best team instead of historical rookie team?

Use random rookies from all eras: un-checked <- I want players in their proper historical years.

Database Path: ??? I'm guessing this is where I specify the Spritze Database that I download???

Automatically adjust league totals modifiers after each season for accuracy: checked <- I'd like dead ball era, etc. to match real life history.

Base Ratings on... Real stats
Base Potential Ratings on... Remaining Peak Seasons (can't change this in Challenge mode)
Base Fielding Ratings on... 3-year period
Base Pitcher Stamina on... 3-year period

Historical Year: 1902

Automatically adjust league strategy when advancing to next season: checked
(seems like there are two settings which mean the same thing in my mind. I guess the other is about player creation modifiers. Not sure what the distinction is? Guessing this one is league wide. The earlier one is for individual players)

I would appreciate any comments regarding changes I should make to the above settings. Or options I should seriously consider. Thanks in advance. I know this is a lot. But it might help somebody in the future looking to play a similar universe.

Last edited by jmknpk2; 11-30-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:58 PM   #7
jmknpk2
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
If you want them on their real teams activate historical transactions.
That is what I am interested in, Spritze. Though I'm not sure exactly which setting you are referring to.

By the way, I feel honored that an OOTP guru/god has replied to my thread. lol
Old 11-30-2017, 06:59 PM   #8
jmknpk2
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Not all players will debut with their actual 1st team. Some players will go to the team they were most famous for.
I prefer players start with their best long-term team rather than real life historical rookie team. Thanks for the pointer, "The Game".

Last edited by jmknpk2; 11-30-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:52 PM   #9
The Game
Hall Of Famer

You can load the RL schedules as played. But any historical game should load the pre as played schedule historical schedule.
If you want to simulate 1994 strike along with 1995 then use AP. Same with 2001 for 9/11. 1981 strike also.
Leave the Indy league thing unchecked. Feller will come in as a MLer.
I use the same settings for reserve clause.

Automatically import historical rookies: checked -< Maybe I should un-check this so that players start with their best team instead of historical rookie team?
If you uncheck this you will not have historical players, they will all become fictional.

Whats is your roster size? STL only had 27 players all season. i think roster limit was 22 in 1902 but i can not find the exact # right now.
Found what i was looking for
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...80&postcount=4
Nl is blank but AL roster limit is 15.

Database Path: ??? I'm guessing this is where I specify the Spritze Database that I download???

Yes copy it using mouse then ctrl-v to paste into that spot mine looks like
C:\Users\Todd\Documents\OOTP 11 DL\databases\SPRITZEhsDBOOTP18
Base Potential Ratings on... Remaining Peak Seasons (can't change this in Challenge mode)
Base Fielding Ratings on... 3-year period
Base Pitcher Stamina on... 3-year period
I hate remaining peak seasons.
I prefer single season for historical entire career for random debut and imports.
I wish it would let ya change recalc from 3 yr to 1 yr. In 3 yr recalc. Ruth wont go from pitching to hitting in 1920, sometimes its 1922 or 1921.
as far as fielding, thats not that big of a deal but for a player like Wee Willie Keeler who played basically 5-6 positions. He switched from one to another each year before settling down in RF around 1909?
For stamina Eck wont go from SP to full time CL until basically 3 years after he did IRL. Smoltz may never go to CL.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

Last edited by The Game; 11-30-2017 at 07:54 PM.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote