Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:25 PM   #21
StrikeFour
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Hello everyone!

Yes, the time has come. We're doing a football game.

About 2 years ago we decided to expand our product line as Sebastian (our iOOTP programmer) introduced us to his buddy Malte and told us about their hockey game, which they had been developing in their spare time - Franchise Hockey Manager. Now, the game was released a few months ago, and apart from a few hiccups and lessens learned, FHM is a big success for our company.

Early in October 2013, Andreas and I discussed why we shouldn't try the same approach with the most popular sport in the US, football. I personally enjoy watching football games on TV, but my knowledge about the sport is far from good, so I wouldn't be able to develop a good football game. But, sometimes in life things just fall right into place, and a couple of days after Andreas and I had the conversation, we found out that a very nice and clever English chap named Francis Cole, who is a lifelong football fan who I've known from my days working for Sports Interactive in London, has been developing his own little football game for about a year. And after talking for a few days in October, Francis agreed to join Out of the Park Developments and develop a football game with us.

The game is called Beyond the Sideline Football. Trust me, it was quite a ride until the whole team managed to agree on a name. And this is it. We feel that it is a good match for our product lineup and "BTS" sounds like a pretty tasty sandwich (in Daniela's humble opinion), and what can possibly be wrong with tasty sandwiches?

BTS will be based on the complete OOTP code base, which means that the GUI of BTS will be very similar to OOTP and that it will have all the great technical functionality that we've developed for OOTP in the past (FaceGen, online leagues, HTML output, text engine, storylines, world database etc.) and which are tested & verified to work quite okay, I guess.

Obviously, football is a different game than baseball, so the game flow will be a different too. After all, the teams just play one game per week, so there has to be stuff to keep you busy on the 6 days that you are not playing. But we'll talk about all that once we reveal more info in the coming months.

There is no scheduled release date. We will release the game once we feel it is rock solid and has a good set of features. Francis already had an impressive football code foundation with an awesome 2D engine and saves plenty of time because he will use parts of the OOTP code, but still it's way too early to make a good estimate on how long this whole project will take.

I am really excited. We are now covering three major sports and have a tremendous foundation for many years to come. Out of the Park Developments has a bright future ahead and all its games and fans will benefit from that. So, tell all your friends about Beyond the Sideline Football, it'll be a fun ride!

I think I'll have a beer (or two) and a Bratwurst sandwich tonight

Cheers,
Markus
Markus, how will you choose your beta testers? I am doing that for FHM right now but I would love to have my name put in a hat when that time comes since FB knowledge parallels my hockey knowledge.

Can't find the help you need? Try here:
OOTP Developments - Kayako eSupport Help Desk Software
Old 01-31-2014, 12:44 PM   #22
Marberi
All Star Reserve

As an avid fan of baseball and American football, who has loved OOTP since '08, this is so EXCITING that I can hardly believe it. If BTS turns out half as good as OOTP, it's gonna be one beast of a sim!!!

All I can say is THANK YOU Markus and everyone else at OOTP Developments
Old 01-31-2014, 12:45 PM   #23
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikeFour View Post
Markus, how will you choose your beta testers? I am doing that for FHM right now but I would love to have my name put in a hat when that time comes since FB knowledge parallels my hockey knowledge.
We'll accept applications once we come closer to beta, so in about 9-12 months I guess.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:56 PM   #24
mike2228
Major Leagues

Quote:
Hello everyone!

Yes, the time has come. We're doing a football game.

About 2 years ago we decided to expand our product line as Sebastian (our iOOTP programmer) introduced us to his buddy Malte and told us about their hockey game, which they had been developing in their spare time - Franchise Hockey Manager. Now, the game was released a few months ago, and apart from a few hiccups and lessens learned, FHM is a big success for our company.

Early in October 2013, Andreas and I discussed why we shouldn't try the same approach with the most popular sport in the US, football. I personally enjoy watching football games on TV, but my knowledge about the sport is far from good, so I wouldn't be able to develop a good football game. But, sometimes in life things just fall right into place, and a couple of days after Andreas and I had the conversation, we found out that a very nice and clever English chap named Francis Cole, who is a lifelong football fan who I've known from my days working for Sports Interactive in London, has been developing his own little football game for about a year. And after talking for a few days in October, Francis agreed to join Out of the Park Developments and develop a football game with us.

The game is called Beyond the Sideline Football. Trust me, it was quite a ride until the whole team managed to agree on a name. And this is it. We feel that it is a good match for our product lineup and "BTS" sounds like a pretty tasty sandwich (in Daniela's humble opinion), and what can possibly be wrong with tasty sandwiches?

BTS will be based on the complete OOTP code base, which means that the GUI of BTS will be very similar to OOTP and that it will have all the great technical functionality that we've developed for OOTP in the past (FaceGen, online leagues, HTML output, text engine, storylines, world database etc.) and which are tested & verified to work quite okay, I guess.

Obviously, football is a different game than baseball, so the game flow will be a different too. After all, the teams just play one game per week, so there has to be stuff to keep you busy on the 6 days that you are not playing. But we'll talk about all that once we reveal more info in the coming months.

There is no scheduled release date. We will release the game once we feel it is rock solid and has a good set of features. Francis already had an impressive football code foundation with an awesome 2D engine and saves plenty of time because he will use parts of the OOTP code, but still it's way too early to make a good estimate on how long this whole project will take.

I am really excited. We are now covering three major sports and have a tremendous foundation for many years to come. Out of the Park Developments has a bright future ahead and all its games and fans will benefit from that. So, tell all your friends about Beyond the Sideline Football, it'll be a fun ride!

I think I'll have a beer (or two) and a Bratwurst sandwich tonight

Cheers,
Markus
I'm not a huge football fan but I wish best of luck in this venture. I hope it is a great success for you!
Old 01-31-2014, 01:10 PM   #25
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Awesome news. I will happily give you more money.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:25 PM   #26
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Well, OOTP now covers baseball, hockey, and football. I'm never going to have to watch live sports again.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:25 PM   #27
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

an NFL sim with roots from OOTP and FM - there are not enough dancing bananas to express my joy.

I can see now my marriage, retirement accounts and kids are all going to suffer greatly - but that is OK I will just sit in my office an alternate playing OOTP and BTS all day long and be happy.

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Old 01-31-2014, 01:32 PM   #28
Erik
All Star Reserve

When can we start pre-ordering?

BTS could outsell OOTP within 5 years of its first release. Football is such a huge sport and from what I've seen there's nothing on the market that even compares to what OOTP can put out. I definitely think this is a great idea by OOTP and like I said, could eventually be the leading product for the company.

Last edited by Erik; 01-31-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:47 PM   #29
Postman
Major Leagues

Great news, Guys!

Simulating American Football will challenge your analysis and design skills more than any other sport (because of the coordination of action between players on the same side). I have confidence, though, that OOTP Dev will meet the challenge and exceed the quality of that which has already been produced.

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2014, 02:32 PM   #30
abell1198
All Star Reserve

Yes!!!!

Markus, I can't wait to see the finished product and I know your people will do a fantastic job! I had resigned myself to the fact this day would never come and was preparing to buy a football sim from another company. Looks like I get to save my money until 2015! Needless to say, my wife wasn't nearly as thrilled by the news as I am, but I can't stop smiling.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:36 PM   #31
dmytron

Quote:
Originally Posted by abell1198 View Post
Needless to say, my wife wasn't nearly as thrilled by the news as I am, but I can't stop smiling.
And they wonder why divorce rate in the world is increasing so rapidly.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:45 PM   #32
Isura
Major Leagues

It's great that you guys have a great base to build from OOTP. Hopefully this means the devs can be freed to focus on getting the intricacies of football perfected through AI and game play.

Also football is less about stats and more about personal traits, tendencies, and story lines. The human element is so important. So I hope those features of OOTP make it into this game.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:46 PM   #33
Isura
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
Well, OOTP now covers baseball, hockey, and football. I'm never going to have to watch live sports again.
If they make basketball I would literally never need to buy another video game.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:57 PM   #34
dmytron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isura View Post
If they make basketball I would literally never need to buy another video game.
But you will have to spend every year something like $120 on four games.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:54 PM   #35
pens66
Major Leagues

Quote:
a) Great announcement, good to hear!

But...
b) and I don't want to spoil the party, I'm glad FHM has been such a success for your company. Because it certainly hasn't been for the average customer. This sentence feels like punch into my stomach.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:36 PM   #36
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

baseball, hockey, and football. 3 great sports and 3 great selections!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:42 PM   #37
StrikeFour
Major Leagues

Quote:
We'll accept applications once we come closer to beta, so in about 9-12 months I guess.
Fair enough.

Can't find the help you need? Try here:
OOTP Developments - Kayako eSupport Help Desk Software
Old 01-31-2014, 07:43 PM   #38
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Is there going to be a package price deal to pick up all three games in 2015?
Old 01-31-2014, 10:14 PM   #39
GiantYankee
All Star Starter

I've been thinking about BTS all day. Excited doesn't really capture my feeling about the news. After telling my wife that the developers of OOTP are creating a football sim she said "Oh great. Now I won't see you at all!"
OOTP, FHM, now BTS. Absoultely amazing. Thank you Markus and the entire OOTP Development team.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:23 PM   #40
deanemj
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
BTS will be based on the complete OOTP code base, which means that the GUI of BTS will be very similar to OOTP
Super excited about that part. The OOTP GUI is so well designed.

I can't wait for preorders to begin!