Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 04-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
DaddyO
Minors (Triple A)

Is It Soup Yet? Is OOTP13 Sufficiently Patched To Start Investing Real Time In Setup And Play?

I have frequently read from experienced users that it's wisest to wait until a new version of OOTP is sufficiently patched that you shouldn't lose out on your investment of time by having to redo and restart a game because something was totallly out of whack.

Ask my wife. I have issues with having to cover the same ground a second time. Most people do, but I have them in spades. So I'd like to make sure when I move forward that I have a reasonably good chance that I can avoid a restart.

So what are your thoughts?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
GMLoophole
All Star Reserve

I am a big believer in that theory, and I can say that I haven't had a single crash yet, which has been my main complaint in early releases of previous games. v.12 was bad for me that way.
GMLoophole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
jhart05
Major Leagues

I'm waiting for the next patch.

I want to start a 1973 universe with the Spritze HS DB.

However when I do, every player who ends up in the minors is angry. Even players who never made it to the majors. That's about 1,900 players when you use that DB. It's been brought up and hoping for something to fix this in the next patch.

I've also tried this with the standard DB that comes with the game. I get the same results.

Also, I believe the 2012 rosters will be as near to perfect as you can get with the next patch.

Last edited by jhart05; 04-18-2012 at 10:46 AM.
jhart05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

I bought much earlier in the cycle than I have in the past and I have no regrets. I'm enjoying the game very much and have had no problems so far.
JohnHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

In my opinion, it was soup on the first day of release.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Cras
Hall Of Famer

Yes.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
jhart05
Major Leagues

So I guess it comes down to what type of league/universe you are looking to start.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
DaddyO
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhart05 View Post
So I guess it comes down to what type of league/universe you are looking to start.
Well, ultimately I want to have three going, one a historical replay-type starting in 1965 or 1966, another a current MLB game, and a third a fictional league. I'll figure out which one I want to focus on as I get into each one.

Since this is the first time I've determined to embark on a serious OOTP game, I want to do things right. Once I really get set to start, I plan on doing my homework, posting what I propose to do, inviting comments and suggestions, then going from there.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
kq76
Global Moderator

It takes me what sometimes seems like forever to set up a league just how I want it. So, I'd say get started on the planning now then in 2 to 3 weeks maybe the next patch will be out and it may (or may not) have something you wished you started with at the beginning of playing your league.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #10
jhart05
Major Leagues

Sounds about the same as what I'm doing/would like to do.

I think I would wait on the historical league, 'till we see if my issue can be fixed or not. Unless you don't use the morale ratings, then you should be fine. Which might be what I end up doing. Didn't want to do that, but I also don't want to edit 1,900 players morale and it just doesn't seem right to start out with that many angry players. I'm still surprised no one else has brought this up as an issue before. I don't know, maybe there just isn't many out there who are trying what I'm doing. (Edit: I should point out that I'm using the neutralized stats option with player development on. If you're going for standard historical with real lineups and transactions and all that, you'll be fine.)

I'm also waiting on a current season startup. I see people are still finding little tweeks for the current roster set. This is a very minor deal, but I'm in no hurry, so I can wait for the final version.

Probably going to try out that fictional league quickstart that Cody8200 created, this weekend. Shouldn't be any issues at all (either minor or major) with that one.

Last edited by jhart05; 04-19-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
kckid4u
All Star Reserve

Location: Pictured Above: Buck Barnett - Best Pitcher in OOTP History!
When is the next patch due?
kckid4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyO View Post
Well, ultimately I want to have three going, one a historical replay-type starting in 1965 or 1966, another a current MLB game, and a third a fictional league. I'll figure out which one I want to focus on as I get into each one.

Since this is the first time I've determined to embark on a serious OOTP game, I want to do things right. Once I really get set to start, I plan on doing my homework, posting what I propose to do, inviting comments and suggestions, then going from there.
I'm going to leave the fictional suggestions for the fictional players. I think the historical leagues are good, and I don't expect many major changes that affect historical leagues. OTOH, I'd wait a patch or two to start the 2012 MLB game. There are going to be some fixes to the rosters, and my guess is you'll have to start a new game to take advantage of those.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
snepp
All Star Starter

It's as close to soup as any initial OOTP release that I can remember (don't know how 6.5 was at release).
snepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #14
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

i havent had a single crash yet...i have a found a few glitches and bugs and i reported them to the correct authorities at the bug report thread.

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #15
oman19
All Star Starter

It's pretty close. Like KQ said I would probably wait for the next patch. I'm waiting till the injury history/ everyone being fragile or wrecked problem is addressed.

My OOTP wishlist: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-wishlist.html
oman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:57 AM   #16
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

For updated rosters i'd wait till the last patch
For the rest of the problems, injury and morale and whatever else shouldn't hold you back from starting now as any of these fixes would be retroactive.
So start now or at least start your planning
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:22 AM   #17
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kckid4u View Post
When is the next patch due?
I am guessing in about 9-12 days.

Last edited by Bowtie; 04-19-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #18
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
In my opinion, it was soup on the first day of release.
I agree
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:47 AM   #19
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman19 View Post
I'm waiting till the injury history/ everyone being fragile or wrecked problem is addressed.
What's this? Haven't seen this issue in my bug DB IIRC.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #20
boshk
All Star Reserve

meh. my universe is 50 years in, over multiple versions of the game. i forget when i started it, may have been around ootp9 or 8. anyhoo, i just keep going, and patch at the beginning of the year, if anything weird happens, just chalk it up to random events that may have happened in your league history. like maybe they moved the mound to 50 feet, and raised it 12". maybe some jerk dug a hole in the batters box because he saw a little leaguer doing it, and thought it was cool, and they never got it fixed all season. who knows?
boshk is offline   Reply With Quote