Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 04-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
DaddyO
Minors (Triple A)

Initial Impressions Of In-Game Play

Since I prefer to play out and manage my team's games, what I have perceived of as a lack of realism in some aspects of game play and what I considered an in-game user interface that got in the way of me enjoying the game were major roadblocks for me to getting into OOTP.

I am pleased to say that my VERY initial impressions of OOTP13 (I skipped version 12) are that both these aspects have been greatly improved. It is WAY to early for me to draw conclusions on the realism, since the sample size is not yet more than a few games, but I find the interface much better than what I experienced in version 11. And I can say that despite what seems like too many hit batters, the movement of players on the bases seemed much more realistic than in previous versions. I haven't yet had any jarring occurrances like I had experienced before in every game I played out. In general, everything felt like it played out the way a real game would.

So kudos again, my feelings about OOTP have improved remarkably with this verison.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

You're right. There's no question that it's better. The AI still doesn't manage very well, but that's also true of the competition. The in-game experience feels more like the real thing than in previous versions.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Some MLB managers don't manage very well, either.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:34 AM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Heck, the pbp alone has been much improved this year.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Heck, the pbp alone has been much improved this year.

yes it has...i still think there are too many hit batters and wild pitches...but i think i can adjust that in the options screen somewhere if i want to

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

I was managing my Jays last night, I have the bases loaded and Bautista is at the plate with 2 outs. Then my dumb 3rd. baseman Lawrie tries to steal home against a right handed pitcher and gets called out of course.

WTF, this OOTP game sucks... Oh, wait, that was my real life Jays doing this!
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
Bmorebirds_24
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterKing View Post
I was managing my Jays last night, I have the bases loaded and Bautista is at the plate with 2 outs. Then my dumb 3rd. baseman Lawrie tries to steal home against a right handed pitcher and gets called out of course.

Lol you had to be pissed! I was watching and thanking him for doing this. He helped put the O's on top of the AL east.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Bmorebirds_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
Wisnoodles
Major Leagues

Wouldn't have wanted to be Lawrie in the clubhouse after that one.
Wisnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You had me for a minute!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:

Uh-huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Some MLB managers don't manage very well, either.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

i prefer managing my games...it only takes me about 5 minutes to play one out at the speed i play...a little longer if the game has some interesting moments...so if my team loses its MY fault!

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #12
AC
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl518 View Post
yes it has...i still think there are too many hit batters and wild pitches...but i think i can adjust that in the options screen somewhere if i want to
It's probably right in front of my nose and I'm missing it, but where do I adjust the number of wild pitches. What does everyone have for a wild pitch setting?

I'm noticing a high number when I play out games.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
greg54
Minors (Rookie Ball)

How do you play out a game in 5 minutes?
greg54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #14
Perceptor
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:

Awesome. He won't be doing that for a while. I still love the kid though lol

On topic, I love managing my games although I usually just do subs and let my managers play their strategies and such. I just feel more involved that way
Perceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #15
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg54 View Post
How do you play out a game in 5 minutes?
Short play by play, speed set to instant.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #16
wiggins
All Star Reserve

I love the game so far. I'm getting used to the new GUI. The pbp has improved and that's great. This may be nitpicking, but when you play out every game, all these things are important. One of the pbp negitives that still hasn't been fixed is the description of baserunners running, after an extra base hit. For example, there are runners on 1st and 2nd and it's a drive to the gap. The pbp will follow the hitter on the basepaths first before the baserunners "Runners lead of 1st and 2nd. It's a drive to left center and it will fall in and roll to the wall, the hitter rounds first and will go for two" this is wrong. Once the ball falls in and rolls to the wall the pbp should immeadiatly pick up with the baserunners ending with the batter as he slides in safe at second. I also mentioned this in a post elsewhere, but it got lost. The immersion factor is very important to me. When playing out a game and the opposition brings a new pitcher in, I used to immediately go to the in-game player profile and look at height weight, hometown, etc, just for my "mind's eye". The height, weight and pic are now all gone. You have to go the the player's BNN page to see these details now. There is a ton of room on this page. Can we please add them back? As I also mentioned, thanks for adding the hold rating on the pitchers in-game widget!!

Last edited by wiggins; 04-19-2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: edit
wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #17
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggins View Post
When playing out a game and the opposition brings a new pitcher in, I used to immediately go to the in-game player profile and look at height weight, hometown, etc, just for my "mind's eye". The height, weight and pic are now all gone. You have to go the the player's BNN page to see these details now. There is a ton of room on this page. Can we please add them back?
I think Markus already stated that he was going to fix that for the next patch.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote