Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #1
qcbandits
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (4)
2nd install

Got a question...

I'm trying to copy a chunk of players from one roster to another...
Importing will end up adding way too much hidden junk to the file and make it slow.

So, I was gonna try and figure a way to set up a 2nd install of OOTP on my desktop system since I've got dual monitors and could run both instances of the game on their own monitor and copy and paste info back and forth.

Would this work?
qcbandits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #2
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

If you're on a Mac, you'll need to set up a second user account. It seems you can no longer use an alias to alternative folder locations for multiple versions. Sigh...bloat will occur.

Also, be prepared to take some sniper fire over why you'd want to do such a thing.
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

you want to move a bunch of players from one leage to the other? how would running it on 2 instances on 2 monitors solve that?

are there 2 goals here?

if historical, it's easy. make a text file with the historic id's.. check forums or manual for formating. thinkg just ",year" in addition? maybe "<space> year"?

if fictional... round about way to do so. make enough players to cannibilaze their PlayerIDs and you can copy/paste magic over them the players you want to move to destination league, but maintaining the playerid from destination leauge created players.

also, extra players won't make it slower for most things. in season, it's only really accessing data for players in those games. that # doesn't change as long as you don't change # of teams and GP per league.

if it is req'd to load into ram, that's when it would be a bit slower, but not much. if it's all FA, i guess it might make first few days of bids a bit slower, but mostly temporary tardiness. if it has no reason to process it, it's not slowing anythign down as it's not part of the selection. so, don't let that hold you back from a potential solution you prefer.

cobb's other thread asking same thing will provide more info on the running 2 instances. i don't care why, but it didn't solve the xferring of players, is my point. whatever floats your boat with your property certainly doesn't impede anyone else's pursuit of happiness.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:29 PM   #4
qcbandits
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
you want to move a bunch of players from one leage to the other? how would running it on 2 instances on 2 monitors solve that?

are there 2 goals here?

if historical, it's easy. make a text file with the historic id's.. check forums or manual for formating. thinkg just ",year" in addition? maybe "<space> year"?

if fictional... round about way to do so. make enough players to cannibilaze their PlayerIDs and you can copy/paste magic over them the players you want to move to destination league, but maintaining the playerid from destination leauge created players.

also, extra players won't make it slower for most things. in season, it's only really accessing data for players in those games. that # doesn't change as long as you don't change # of teams and GP per league.

if it is req'd to load into ram, that's when it would be a bit slower, but not much. if it's all FA, i guess it might make first few days of bids a bit slower, but mostly temporary tardiness. if it has no reason to process it, it's not slowing anythign down as it's not part of the selection. so, don't let that hold you back from a potential solution you prefer.

cobb's other thread asking same thing will provide more info on the running 2 instances. i don't care why, but it didn't solve the xferring of players, is my point. whatever floats your boat with your property certainly doesn't impede anyone else's pursuit of happiness.

The reason I think it would be easier would be that I have a saved game that I started early on in the developmental cycle of OOTP 19, so there is a lot of missing draft picks in the later editions of the rosters... Hence if I could run two instances of the game at once, I could open the editor and copy all the information over to the saved game I want to continue playing and eventually move into OOTP 20 and possibly keep playing for years and years...and still have the missing players. I mean I could easily wait for OOTP 20 because all the players I want to add will end up in the roster set that comes with 20... but I am currently out of work and have nothing better to do with my time right now haha

If someone knows a simple way to get around this, please let me know?
qcbandits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:40 PM   #5
kryakyu12
Major Leagues

Hi,
would you be able to accomplish what you want by either exporting the draft pool to a .csv file, or else by writing the draft pool out as a report (or multiple reports)? Both look like they can be done on the draft pool screen.

It is certainly possible to install a second copy of OOTP, as noted on other recent threads. However you would (probably) need to create a new user account for the second copy, and on windows I am not sure if it is possible to have two users logged in on from the desktop simultaneously.

Cheers!
-kr-
kryakyu12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

the problem with two leagues is the playerIDs created. at some point they will deviate.

the draft pool thing could do it. i believe that takes care of the playerid's etc.

you coudl import/export as needed, but there's hurdles to overcome to avoid problems... need same # of players and IDs to swap etc. team id's would stay the same if you cloned the league, so it would make the copy/paste complete with no extra effort.

based on the op description, it wasn't clear it's the same exact league... just wanted to copy a chunk of players from one to the other.

i see the dual monitors was just the outcome, not relative to question. i misread.

maybe setting up a couple virtual machines is another option.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote