Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #121
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Too bad he left town with an "L."
I didn't know Sabathia is retiring at the end of the season.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:55 PM   #122
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonin View Post
I didn't know Sabathia is retiring at the end of the season.
That's one of the reasons why people are pulling for him to win his 250th but in his recent starts, he looks doubtful as to whether he will make it. It's remarkable that a man of his size and age, with his bum knees and whatever else he's gone through, has made it this far.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:02 PM   #123
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Quote:
That's one of the reasons why people are pulling for him to win his 250th but in his recent starts, he looks doubtful as to whether he will make it. It's remarkable that a man of his size and age, with his bum knees and whatever else he's gone through, has made it this far.
I agree. We need to bench him or bullpen him or say he is out for the season.

So the Yankees picked up Edwin Encarnacion to address their pitching problems? I don't understand this move. I didn't think the offense was our issue, especially since Stanton and Judge are coming back. I fear it may be a lack of understanding on the front offices part. Having a lineup with a great mix of hitters is what I believe a good offense is made up of. I can't recall having pure homerun hitting lineup is the best recipe for long term success. Having more hitters with high batting average I think is the right mix. Maybe the Yanks are going to release Morales, is one of the things I can think of.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:17 PM   #124
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
I agree. We need to bench him or bullpen him or say he is out for the season.

So the Yankees picked up Edwin Encarnacion to address their pitching problems? I don't understand this move. I didn't think the offense was our issue, especially since Stanton and Judge are coming back. I fear it may be a lack of understanding on the front offices part. Having a lineup with a great mix of hitters is what I believe a good offense is made up of. I can't recall having pure homerun hitting lineup is the best recipe for long term success. Having more hitters with high batting average I think is the right mix. Maybe the Yanks are going to release Morales, is one of the things I can think of.
The Yankees gave up almost nothing of value for him.
Juan Then was orignally from the Mariners international signing market. He is 19 and could one day be a MLB releiver but is not regarded as a top tier prospect.

Seattle is paying for a lot of Encarnacion's contact and the Yankees gave them back a lump of cash but the Yankees print money.

Maybe not what they needed but why not? If you can't find cheap pitching, just keep scoring more runs. And the Yankees literally gave up nothing to get him.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:47 PM   #125
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Plus Encarnacion's on the last year of a three-year deal, next year being a team option for $20MM or a $5MM buyout. I don't look for much from this guy (although he does have 21 homers already), just to fill in for Stanton and Judge until they come back and are settled. And they don't re-injure themselves. A sort of insurance policy for this season after which he will be moving on, most likely.

EDIT: The paper says, though, that a likely result of this move would be sending Clint Frazier down or trading him, with which I am not entirely at ease. It seems Frazier was being pigeon-holed in the DH spot because of his fielding woes but Encarnacion will now inherit that spot.

EDIT 2: With the emergence of Nestor Cortes Jr., now would be a good time to get rid of Jonathan Holder and Luis Cessa. Holder again did his best to let the ChiSox back in the game, allowing two of Cortes' runners to score and giving up two more runs of his own. When those guys come into a game, it's cringe-worthy and since it has become predictable that they will fail, it's time to pull the trigger.

EDIT 3
: I made fun of this guy Maybin when we acquired him, but he really hasn't been that bad!

EDIT 4: After all is said and done, and after today's win, the Yankees are 43-27, a .614 winning percentage and a half-game ahead of the Rays (BIG series coming up with them). That's hard to fathom, given their recent sputtering and pitching failures, but a tribute to how well they were doing up until then without their big guns.

EDIT 5: I believe I heard on the radio just now that Frazier has indeed been sent down and that he is very upset, again. On one hand, I don't blame him; it must be tough considering what has happened to him and that he was doing well at the plate. But, he's upset . . . again. Each time that he does get upset, it makes it easier to send him down in my book. Also, his sulking and ducking the media after a butcher job in the field the other day didn't help. I think the Yankees should be looking to trade him now.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 06-16-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:27 PM   #126
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Quote:
Plus Encarnacion's on the last year of a three-year deal, next year being a team option for $20MM or a $5MM buyout. I don't look for much from this guy (although he does have 21 homers already), just to fill in for Stanton and Judge until they come back and are settled. And they don't re-injure themselves. A sort of insurance policy for this season after which he will be moving on, most likely.

EDIT: The paper says, though, that a likely result of this move would be sending Clint Frazier down or trading him, with which I am not entirely at ease. It seems Frazier was being pigeon-holed in the DH spot because of his fielding woes but Encarnacion will now inherit that spot.

EDIT 2: With the emergence of Nestor Cortes Jr., now would be a good time to get rid of Jonathan Holder and Luis Cessa. Holder again did his best to let the ChiSox back in the game, allowing two of Cortes' runners to score and giving up two more runs of his own. When those guys come into a game, it's cringe-worthy and since it has become predictable that they will fail, it's time to pull the trigger.

EDIT 3
: I made fun of this guy Maybin when we acquired him, but he really hasn't been that bad!

EDIT 4: After all is said and done, and after today's win, the Yankees are 43-27, a .614 winning percentage and a half-game ahead of the Rays (BIG series coming up with them). That's hard to fathom, given their recent sputtering and pitching failures, but a tribute to how well they were doing up until then without their big guns.

EDIT 5: I believe I heard on the radio just now that Frazier has indeed been sent down and that he is very upset, again. On one hand, I don't blame him; it must be tough considering what has happened to him and that he was doing well at the plate. But, he's upset . . . again. Each time that he does get upset, it makes it easier to send him down in my book. Also, his sulking and ducking the media after a butcher job in the field the other day didn't help. I think the Yankees should be looking to trade him now.
I have no issues with what was given up fr the trade. I have an issue with who is not playing because of it. I think that .280 avg for this team is more important than the 21 hrs.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:48 PM   #127
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Encarnation's OBP is 26 points higher than Frazier's despite only batting .241. Those walks and power mean he also has an OPS+ 20 points higher than Frazier.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:56 PM   #128
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Encarnation's OBP is 26 points higher than Frazier's despite only batting .241. Those walks and power mean he also has an OPS+ 20 points higher than Frazier.
Plus, and one of the Yankees pitchers said this, it's a good move just to keep Encarnacion off the Boston or Tampa Bay rosters.

- Bru

Old 06-19-2019, 10:53 AM   #129
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

EDIT 3
Now that it's nearing crunch time with Stanton back and Judge due soon, what do we do with Maybin? He's only advanced to become one of the best hitters currently on the club, behind only DJ LeMahieu. Good problem to have and I would go so far as to say "Be cautious about just opening the door wide for Stanton or Judge." That's how good some of these replacements have played.

- Bru

Old 06-19-2019, 11:26 AM   #130
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Now that it's nearing crunch time with Stanton back and Judge due soon, what do we do with Maybin? He's only advanced to become one of the best hitters currently on the club, behind only DJ LeMahieu. Good problem to have and I would go so far as to say "Be cautious about just opening the door wide for Stanton or Judge." That's how good some of these replacements have played.
Yeah, yeah, that's highly naïve. No way those big guns, all-stars, are going to sit in favor of somebody like Maybin; not until they've batted .189 for a couple of months. And sure, in the long run (barring injury!), I'd rather have Stanton and Judge in the lineup.

It's just that I don't want to upset the batting apple cart right now. Where the Yankees need help is pitching.

[Hmmm. I'm getting into a bad habit of quoting myself. ]

- Bru

Old 06-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #131
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, that's highly naïve. No way those big guns, all-stars, are going to sit in favor of somebody like Maybin; not until they've batted .189 for a couple of months. And sure, in the long run (barring injury!), I'd rather have Stanton and Judge in the lineup.

It's just that I don't want to upset the batting apple cart right now. Where the Yankees need help is pitching.

[Hmmm. I'm getting into a bad habit of quoting myself. ]

Hence my adversion to adding Edwin. I have followed the Yankees for many years and when you load up with home run hitters you create holes in the post season. As we all know typically homeruns happen less in the playoffs, so I am of the mind I want more high average guys.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:38 PM   #132
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hence my adversion to adding Edwin. I have followed the Yankees for many years and when you load up with home run hitters you create holes in the post season. As we all know typically homeruns happen less in the playoffs, so I am of the mind I want more high average guys.
Well, somebody said that the Yankees could do with one less pitcher - actually, I have two in mind - to make room for when Judge comes back. They have 13 on the roster which to me, a traditionalist, is a couple too many but I don't look for the club to agree with me one bit.

Meanwhile, unfortunately, Aaron Hicks is looking like a wilting flower. Just sayin'.

Boy, I'm glad I don't have to make these decisions! All I have to do is sit here and type my opinions, no matter how half-baked they are.

Say, congratulations to CC for his 250th win! I'd say we'll see him in Cooperstown one day. I knew he could do it! (Actually, I knew nothing of the sort, if you scroll to some older posts of mine. But perhaps he read that and took motivation. That, and six runs in the bottom of the first will do it. )

- Bru

Old 06-24-2019, 11:06 PM   #133
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

As I type this, Jonathan Holder has come into the game in the 8th inning with a 10-2 lead. Safe, right?

Maybe not. He's given up four straight hits, the first a home run followed by three singles. Imagine if it was the other way around.

The Yankees keep throwing this guy out there in garbage time, along with Luis Cessa, and they keep stinking the place up.

I'm not watching anymore of this. I'm going to bed and read about the latest follies in the morning.

EDIT: Oh, jeez. I couldn't turn it off fast enough. He just gave up a grand slam and now the score is 10-7. For cryin' out loud, what the hell is wrong with the Yankees concerning these two bozos?

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 06-24-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:15 PM   #134
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Finally: Jonathan Holder demoted to Triple-A after horrendous outing

Look, I know he's a human being and I feel bad for him on that level but did the Yankees have to wait this long to fix this situation? I wonder how many "L's" we could chalk up to him if we looked close enough. In a tight race, even 1 or 2 could make the difference and he was looking bad long before this; you could tell because Boone was not putting him into any close games.

I thought it might be a minor league options thing but there he is anyway, in Triple-A. Along with Chance Adams who was doing a lot better than Holder before he was sent down.

- Bru

Old 06-26-2019, 01:22 AM   #135
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Smile

Quote:
Finally: Jonathan Holder demoted to Triple-A after horrendous outing

Look, I know he's a human being and I feel bad for him on that level but did the Yankees have to wait this long to fix this situation? I wonder how many "L's" we could chalk up to him if we looked close enough. In a tight race, even 1 or 2 could make the difference and he was looking bad long before this; you could tell because Boone was not putting him into any close games.

I thought it might be a minor league options thing but there he is anyway, in Triple-A. Along with Chance Adams who was doing a lot better than Holder before he was sent down.
I guess Holder wasn't holding any leads. Isn't Betances coming back soon?

Can we trade JA Happ? Hopefully, he improves and starts giving quality innings.
The Yankees will need a starter and someone for long relief.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #136
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess Holder wasn't holding any leads. Isn't Betances coming back soon?

Can we trade JA Happ? Hopefully, he improves and starts giving quality innings.
The Yankees will need a starter and someone for long relief.
Trade for Madbum and Will Smith combo?

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:08 PM   #137
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmenSmith View Post
Trade for Madbum and Will Smith combo?
That's a lot of lefties in the BP: Chapman, Brittain, Smith.

A quick check of the Yankee injury update website is not encouraging for any pitcher.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:35 PM   #138
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
That's a lot of lefties in the BP: Chapman, Brittain, Smith.

A quick check of the Yankee injury update website is not encouraging for any pitcher.
Yeah haven't seen too many righties mentioned for trades yet. I'm just looking at it as it seems he would be better the Green/Holder/Cessa in their current state.

I have never been one to focus on lefty/right splits. It's something I don't focus in in the game or in real life. Pitchers should pitch in my eyes. Face who they need to. With that said I haven't looked into his split stats.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:40 PM   #139
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Stanton on the DL again. It's too early by far to start dumping on him but this nonsense of paying multi-millions of dollars to "superstars" sitting in the training room is getting tiresome.

- Bru

Old 06-26-2019, 07:49 PM   #140
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Stanton on the DL again. It's too early by far to start dumping on him but this nonsense of paying multi-millions of dollars to "superstars" sitting in the training room is getting tiresome.
Yeah I couldn't believe when I got the notice. Dead salary on the team that could be used better elsewhere. Future DH