Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:46 AM   #1
daves
Hall Of Famer

Option player to Minors

Is there an option to allow a player to be demoted to AAA that has a major league contract? I would like an option to remove the attached message.
Attached Images

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #2
cmaug
Major Leagues

I believe you would need to turn off option years
cmaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:56 PM   #3
BoomerSoonerAMH
Minors (Double A)

Assuming standard MLB rules, it looks like you are trying to remove him from the 40 man roster instead of sending him to AAA on an optional assignment. If you are click-and-dragging him from one roster to another, make sure it is from the active 25-man roster and not the 40 man roster. Assuming he has options remaining, you should be able to send him to AAA.
BoomerSoonerAMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #4
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

This looks like you are trying to drag him off the 40-man roster and place him in the minors. What you want to do is drag him off you active roster(not 40-man roster) to the minors (or right click and send him to the minors).

If you want to remove him from the 40-man roster and send him to the minors you would have to waive/dfa him and when/if he clears waivers you can send him to the minors.

Last edited by byzeil; 05-12-2018 at 08:14 PM.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #5
Qeltar
Major Leagues

Can I ask a related question to avoid Yet Another Thread on Transactions?

Let's say my outfield sucks. (Okay, 2/3 of it does.) Part of the reason is an injury. The guy is back in 2 weeks, but I can't take any more of these sub-Mendoza subs in spots that are supposed to generate offense.

Now say I have a veteran in AAA on a MiLB contract, not on the 40-man. I want to bring him up for 2 weeks. To do this I have to give him an MLB contract and put him on the 40-man. He gets paid the minimum for the 2 weeks.

I have to waive him to demote him. He can refuse and walk, in which case I pay him no more. Or he can accept demotion. The game then says I pay 1/6 of the normal rate. So basically I'd be paying him $90k or so prorated for the rest of the year.

Now same thing with a young guy, he can't walk, does have to get demoted. But then he is stuck on the 40-man unless I want to risk him getting nabbed at the minimum by taking him off. And again I'm paying him $90k in AAA for the rest of the year.

Do I have that right? I've seen some conflicting information trying to search on this.

Thanks!

Last edited by Qeltar; 05-12-2018 at 09:02 PM.
Qeltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:53 PM   #6
Silfir
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
He can refuse and walk, in which case I pay him no more.
I'm pretty sure if you try to demote an MLB veteran and he exercises his right to refuse, and you release him (is that what you mean by "walk"?), you have to pay out his full contract value (for the remainder of the year). I typically trade guys like these for random minor leaguers instead.

I'm a bit confused by your terminology there, because I'm not aware of any circumstance under which a player can "walk" away from a contract in OOTP terms. They leave your team upon you trading them or releasing them, or they get claimed by other teams on waivers or the Rule 5 draft, or their contracts run out. The only thing a player can do to get out of a contract is retire completely, usually due to injury.

Last edited by Silfir; 05-12-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Silfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:58 PM   #7
Mat
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qeltar View Post
Can I ask a related question to avoid Yet Another Thread on Transactions?

Let's say my outfield sucks. (Okay, 2/3 of it does.) Part of the reason is an injury. The guy is back in 2 weeks, but I can't take any more of these sub-Mendoza subs in spots that are supposed to generate offense.

Now say I have a veteran in AAA on a MiLB contract, not on the 40-man. I want to bring him up for 2 weeks. To do this I have to give him an MLB contract and put him on the 40-man. He gets paid the minimum for the 2 weeks.

I have to waive him to demote him. He can refuse and walk, in which case I pay him no more. Or he can accept demotion. The game then says I pay 1/6 of the normal rate. So basically I'd be paying him $90k or so prorated for the rest of the year.

Now same thing with a young guy, he can't walk, does have to get demoted. But then he is stuck on the 40-man unless I want to risk him getting nabbed at the minimum by taking him off. And again I'm paying him $90k in AAA for the rest of the year.

Do I have that right? I've seen some conflicting information trying to search on this
You do have this correct, except for believing the player can walk. Onus is on you to release the player. And if so, pay his major league salary.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:59 PM   #8
BoomerSoonerAMH
Minors (Double A)

What you’re asking now about is called “outrighting” a player. I’m not sure how well OOTP mirrors RL, but there are a few outcomes depending on how much service time the veteran has when you waive him if he clears waivers.

• A veteran with less than 3 years of ML service can be outrighted (placed on waivers and removed from the 40 man roster) and sent to the minors one time at will.
• After a player has been outrighted once or has 3 years of ML service time, the player has the option to refuse an outright assignment after clearing waivers but if he chooses free agency, the team is not responsive for his contract. If he accepts the outright assignment, he continues to get paid according to his contract. I believe OOTP converts his contract to a MiL deal.
• A player with 5 years of ML service time not only has the right to refuse an outright assignment, in which case he elects free agency, but he is also guaranteed his contract if he elects free agency.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:03 PM   #9
BoomerSoonerAMH
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
You do have this correct, except for believing the player can walk. Onus is on you to release the player. And if so, pay his major league salary.
This is true in regards to how OOTP handles it. In OOTP, once the player clears waivers, if he has the right and refuses to be demoted, you only have the option to release the player.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:08 PM   #10
Qeltar
Major Leagues

Thanks. So basically, promoting a veteran for a short stint is not a smart move as I could get stuck with him or have to pay him for most of a year at min to get rid of him.
Qeltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:25 PM   #11
Mat
All Star Reserve

If it is for a short period only, its probably not worth it. Especially on a low budget team.

But I wouldnt say it is a bad idea. Depends on the situation. If you are competing for top spot and have money to burn and dont want to save your prospects it could be worth it.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #12
daves
Hall Of Famer

The weird thing is I turned the finances off. My rosters are 40 not 25. The player was young and not performing well. He was on AAA team. I just could not move anyone up. I had to trade the player to promote another.

Is there an option in League settings that will allow me to demote players?

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:42 PM   #13
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
The weird thing is I turned the finances off. My rosters are 40 not 25. The player was young and not performing well. He was on AAA team. I just could not move anyone up. I had to trade the player to promote another.

Is there an option in League settings that will allow me to demote players?
I think you have to turn the waiver system off if you don't want to have to deal with using options and the waiver system.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote