Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Czech names generated/used by the game

Hi!

I was so eager to see the game that I downloaded OOTP demo to see your work (never played it before). It really is nice! Too bad I don't understand baseball at all. Otherwise I would really consider to buy it right away. I guess I will have to wait for FHM. I hope I can do that ;-)

Now I'll get to my question... Will FHM use the same "namepack" to generate names of Czech fictional/newgen players? I noticed that OOTP's Czech names are not high-quality. It for example uses women's form of surnames for men a lot and I think I noticed names that are not Czech at all or that have wrong spelling etc. I also noticed mistakes in cities' names.

If you are interested I offer my help with improving this. I don't know exactly how the generating works but I assume some file with names is used and first names are somehow paired with surnames and so on. If you want I can have a look on such files and suggest some changes or something like that. I could probably do the same for Slovak language.
Of course only if you are interested!

Similar question comes to my mind... What about localization? Is there someone who offered translating of the game to Czech language? Is it possible to help with that?

Last edited by geckon; 12-30-2012 at 08:20 PM.
geckon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
Strelka
Minors (Rookie Ball)

The Russian names in the OOTP name file are just awful. There are plenty of female surnames, diminutives used as given names, and poor transliterations. There are also a lot of 'dead' names. Way too many Ippolits in my Russian game

I am also willing to help clean up the Russian, probably Belorussian and Ukrainian files also.
Strelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
Strelka
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Also Geckon, I have been playing OOTP for maybe 3 years, I have learned a lot about baseball, even to the point of watching some on the internet. It is an enjoyable sport OOTP introduced me to.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelka View Post
The Russian names in the OOTP name file are just awful. There are plenty of female surnames, diminutives used as given names, and poor transliterations. There are also a lot of 'dead' names. Way too many Ippolits in my Russian game

I am also willing to help clean up the Russian, probably Belorussian and Ukrainian files also.
Yes, rare names and quite rare modifications of names were there too.

Quote:
Also Geckon, I have been playing OOTP for maybe 3 years, I have learned a lot about baseball, even to the point of watching some on the internet. It is an enjoyable sport OOTP introduced me to.
If I were to wait three or more years for FHM I would very probably buy OOTP and learn a lot about baseball. These days the waiting for FHM should be a lot shorter so I guess I just try to hold on

PS: Sebastian, if you are thinking about delaying FHM just to increase income from OOTP then don't. I would rather buy two copies of FHM in next weeks than buy OOTP now and FHM in the next years :-)

Last edited by geckon; 12-31-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
Garethw87

I always wondered 'why do people complain about the surnames in OOTP' then I tried to create a fictional Baltic Baseball League.. and seen the problem All Latvian, Lithuanian and Estonian players had Russian surnames!!

BUT that's baseball, and the Batics, Czech, Russians aren't baseballing powerhouses! Im sure with FHM, because there will be players, for example Ozolins is Latvian, Krejci is Czech and so it.. it must have been sorted out
Old 12-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
BUT that's baseball, and the Batics, Czech, Russians aren't baseballing powerhouses! Im sure with FHM, because there will be players, for example Ozolins is Latvian, Krejci is Czech and so it.. it must have been sorted out
Yes, that crossed my mind too. I just wanted to offer my help in case the developers would appreciated it.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
echolodge
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
I always wondered 'why do people complain about the surnames in OOTP' then I tried to create a fictional Baltic Baseball League.. and seen the problem All Latvian, Lithuanian and Estonian players had Russian surnames!!

Gareth: are you Baltic? I am first generation Latvian. A mentor of mine was an old Latvian who was coaching Latvian hockey and basketball (European champs in 20s or 30s). I remember him showing me a photo of the hockey team from the old days too...May have been the Olympic or National team.l
echolodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Another annoying thing is getting french surnames and first names for people born in ontario or western canada. Sure there is the odd one but it's rare. In ootp it's way too common getting Jean-Pierre Lefebvre born in Calgary.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
Garethw87

Quote:
Originally Posted by echolodge View Post
Gareth: are you Baltic? I am first generation Latvian. A mentor of mine was an old Latvian who was coaching Latvian hockey and basketball (European champs in 20s or 30s). I remember him showing me a photo of the hockey team from the old days too...May have been the Olympic or National team.l
Hey Echo.. I'm not Baltic Im afraid.. English/French. I'm just obsessed with the Batlics. Thanks to visiting Riga and watching Dinamo play!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
Strelka
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Hey Echo.. I'm not Baltic Im afraid.. English/French. I'm just obsessed with the Batlics. Thanks to visiting Riga and watching Dinamo play!
Riga is the best city in the Baltics IMHO. If I had to live in a city outside of Russia in Europe it would be Riga.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
echolodge
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Haven' t had a chance to visit myself...hope to one day, but only after leading a fictional Latvian team to NHL title in FHM.
echolodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

With a last name of Svitak, it would be fun to see this in the game.

I think that it is a good idea to get the names accurate...once fixed, it is fixed forever. Good work here!
dsvitak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
RoPa
All Star Reserve

As far as I know you should be able to add/delete names in the database name text files.
I know my surname isn't in there, but it will be.
RoPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #14
Afino
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Also a guy with a lower case A.

(PS, note the team name - I named my baseball minors KHL teams - that's how badly I want a hockey sim!)

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:21 PM   #15
Strelka
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Also a guy with a lower case A.

(PS, note the team name - I named my baseball minors KHL teams - that's how badly I want a hockey sim!)
I was wondering about AK Bars Kazan Moscow makes sense now. What I'm confused about is the first name - Is it supposed to be Vladislav?
Old 12-31-2012, 09:23 PM   #16
JeffR
FHM Producer

The name files will be different from OOTP, the European ones in particular in OOTP aren't good enough for hockey. I've been working on them, but they've been taking a backseat to other priorities for a while. Czechs are done, sort of: I did them with an English keyboard, so the special characters are missing. If someone who speaks Czech would like to make themselves useful and edit those in (and correct any other spelling issues with the names), here are the files.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 26 czech.zip (5.7 KB, 80 views)
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:04 AM   #17
Strelka
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
The name files will be different from OOTP, the European ones in particular in OOTP aren't good enough for hockey. I've been working on them, but they've been taking a backseat to other priorities for a while. Czechs are done, sort of: I did them with an English keyboard, so the special characters are missing. If someone who speaks Czech would like to make themselves useful and edit those in (and correct any other spelling issues with the names), here are the files.
If you would like me to look at Russian/Ukrainian/Belorussian I can do that.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:38 AM   #18
no way
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I'll look at them...
no way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:32 AM   #19
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by no way View Post
I'll look at them...
I can have a look at them too. Have you made any changes already? I would like not to duplicate our work.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #20
no way
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckon View Post
I can have a look at them too. Have you made any changes already? I would like not to duplicate our work.
I have first names done and last names about 40%. I was thinking that I would give it to you after I was done to check it because more eyes see more (prostě víc očí víc vidí )
no way is offline   Reply With Quote