Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:46 AM   #261
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Simmons is pretty high on Knox after watching him in Summer League

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #262
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaus2 View Post
Simmons is pretty high on Knox after watching him in Summer League
You're referring to this, I assume. Very nice, if he's right.
Attached Images

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #263
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Here's more (click the image). He sure sounds incentivized by what he experienced on draft night.
Attached Images

- Bru

Old 09-24-2018, 02:12 PM   #264
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

The Knicks are reportedly going to buyout/waive Joakim Noah's contract. The deal is complicated, as usual, and I don't pretend to understand it (the eyes glass over after a while), but the Knicks are getting some cash consideration in exchange for waiving him and I guess allowing him to sign elsewhere.

The thing that boggles the mind is how much the Knicks still owe him before any deals are cut: $37.8 million! Now I suppose that will be somewhat less, but almost $38 million for a guy who is now 33 years old, continues to be injury-prone as was indicated before the contract was signed, and apparently also has an attitude problem (he was essentially exiled after some beef with Hornacek in January).

Would you have an attitude if you played as little, and as badly, as he did in his first two years with the Knicks, while making $17 to $18 million each of those years?

This situation alone indicates how stupidly this organization has been run in recent years. No guy, with a track record like his and at his age, should be handed a contract like this. That kind of money should go to superstars in the prime of their careers and in full health, not a reclamation project. And because Noah soaks up some of the available cap room or whatever, the Knicks miss out on getting one or more good players in free agency.

I sure as heck hope the Knicks have turned a corner with their new management team. We will see.

- Bru

Old 10-14-2018, 10:28 AM   #265
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Somebody call Phil Jackson and let him know that Joakim Noah is available again . . .

- Bru

Old 10-14-2018, 02:39 PM   #266
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Somebody call Phil Jackson and let him know that Joakim Noah is available again . . .
Bru, I posted some Knicks thoughts in the NBA thread.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:01 PM   #267
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Pardon me. Those were the New York Knicks that I just watched on opening night, yes?

Final score: Knicks 126, Hawks 107

- Bru

Old 10-18-2018, 03:58 PM   #268
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Pardon me. Those were the New York Knicks that I just watched on opening night, yes?

Final score: Knicks 126, Hawks 107
When I saw that the Hawks were going to start Alex Len and Vince Carter I knew that they are going into full on tank mode this season.

Last edited by rudel.dietrich; 10-18-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:41 PM   #269
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
When I saw that the Hawks were going to start Alex Len and Vince Carter I know that they are going into full on tank mode this season.
That guy you don't like, Hardaway Jr., scored 31 points. Some guy named Trier electrified the crowd with an emphatic dunk. Kanter and Burke played well and seven Knicks finished with double-digit points including two guys named Hezonja and Vonleh. Everybody played hard.

It was only one game against a bad team but for one night, it was fun. It had better be more fun because there was this little known fact in the papers this morning: Last night was the first time in 27 years that the Knicks failed to sell out their home opener.

- Bru

Old 10-27-2018, 11:38 AM   #270
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Five straight losses and bottom-dwelling again after that initial excitement. When will the next Knicks victory occur? Oh goody, they play the Atlanta Hawks again on November 7. Also on December 21 and February 14. Maybe they can finish the season 4-78!

- Bru

Old 11-06-2018, 10:43 AM   #271
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of professional basketball team management but I cannot help feeling something is wrong when a team does not see a way to retain a player like Enes Kanter.

Referring to the coach's decision to have rookie Mitchell Robinson start instead of Kanter:

Name:  Image0088.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  162.9 KB

26 years old, a good player who plays his heart out and loves New York, and we cannot keep him. Instead, we are banking on yet another unproven rookie to develop. Even so, why must they be mutually exclusive?

I wouldn't mind abiding in my ignorance if it were not for the seemingly unending chain of futility that is New York Knicks basketball these years.

- Bru

Old 11-06-2018, 05:07 PM   #272
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of professional basketball team management but I cannot help feeling something is wrong when a team does not see a way to retain a player like Enes Kanter.

Referring to the coach's decision to have rookie Mitchell Robinson start instead of Kanter:

Attachment 587410

26 years old, a good player who plays his heart out and loves New York, and we cannot keep him. Instead, we are banking on yet another unproven rookie to develop. Even so, why must they be mutually exclusive?

I wouldn't mind abiding in my ignorance if it were not for the seemingly unending chain of futility that is New York Knicks basketball these years.
Enes Kanter quite simply does not move the needle. He does not space the floor and he is a sieve on defense.
He can be a piece but in a league with a salary cap you cannot tie up 20.56 million on him.
At a lower salary and for 14-18 minutes off the bench he could be useful but for his asking price you can spend your resources far better.
And he will be in for a rude awakening when he next hits free agency and finds that his dollar value is far below what he is hoping.

And I do like him as a person. He plays with an edge and a chip on his shoulder.
I also feel for him, his home nation is lost to him because he spoke out against it's government. His own family has disowned him.
From profiles I have read he also has a full time bodyguard because he fears for his life because of his criticism.

But the NBA is a business and unlike baseball or European football you don't get unlimited money. You have to spend your resources where you think they will do the most good. And where the NBA is and continues to go, Kanter is not that player.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:58 PM   #273
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Here's an Interesting read for Knicks fans - http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...olan-unplugged

Last edited by Bluenoser; 12-17-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:30 PM   #274
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

How reassuring it was to read in today's newspaper about James Dolan saying the Knicks would never tank games to get a better draft pick, not even if the prize is Zion Williamson of Duke. It's good to know that the Knicks are legitimately this pathetic, in that case. Again. For yet another season with Dolan in charge.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 01-08-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:09 PM   #275
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

The Knicks are awful but at least not painful to watch.
And they are not tanking but they could maybe win a handful more games by playing their older players more, but what good would it do them?
26 wins vs 22?
And those minutes towards players who actually have a future in NY would better serve the team as well as ensuring extra losses towards a draft pick.

I am pretty neutral on New York sports in general so I wish them luck in the lottery.
I hope they land a top 3 pick. I would still like Atlanta to land the #1 pick.
That is a city and a franchise in desperate needs of an exciting player and Zion looks like he could be that player.
And that franchise did a major **** up by trading away Doncic after the Sun and Kings were dumb enough to pass on him.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:16 PM   #276
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

It's funny but I'm conflicted, like many another Knicks fan, I suppose. I certainly don't want the team to tank - I couldn't even look at myself in the mirror if I was a player and was directed to do so, or a coach or manager who deliberately put out a low quality lineup for the purpose - but on the other hand, I do find myself watching the standings and . . . rooting for losses? No. Let's call it not minding them at this stage.

Then again, other than Porzingis, what luck have they had in recent years with their draft choices? Ntilikina? Sure he's young but he's looking like a bust, sorry. Knox? Maybe. Who else? Obviously I cannot think of anybody without looking up the list. Oh, Hardaway, Jr. I see, after actually doing so. Traded him away for a while, though.

But look at the names toward the bottom of that list. A monkey could have picked draft choices just as well.

All I want is a competitive basketball team in New York again. That's New York, not Brooklyn.

- Bru

Old 01-08-2019, 08:28 PM   #277
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

So tell me, speaking of questionable draft picks, how does #2 Mitchell Robinson injure his groin while on the disabled list for a sprained ankle? (Reminds me of Greg Bird and Jacoby Ellsbury in that regard.)

No matter; he can't stay out of foul trouble anyway so he's heading down the same road as Ntilikina at this point.

Thank goodness for this thread for me to air my rants! Whether well-founded or not, it feels good to air them out.

- Bru

Old 01-12-2019, 01:19 PM   #278
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I'll let this thread sink down again for a while after this but I wanted to say: Dolan and MSG need to see empty seats in the Garden and declining cable view ratings before this turns around.

This goes on and on, year after year, in the "Basketball Mecca of the World." After all is said and done, over the years, the common denominator falls to team ownership and these guys suck.

- Bru

Old 01-28-2019, 02:07 PM   #279
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quick note to Cleveland Cavaliers: You've had your fun in the sun recently. Have a heart and win a few more games and let us have our turn. The way we are going, in may take only one more victory from you!

- Bru

Old 01-28-2019, 03:41 PM   #280
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

If Cleveland wins the draft lottery and gets the #1 pick I am quitting basketball forever.