Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 02-08-2024, 08:10 AM   #1
JackOnAMacYT
All Star Starter

Pirates Baseball

Not sure anyone else has a Pirates thread, if so then I’ll go over there. If not, then welcome to Pirates Baseball! Where the team is good every 20 years.

Yes I’m a Pirates fan, not from Pittsburgh though. Instead my stomping ground is New Jersey.

Enough about me, how are the Pirates doing? Well here’s where you find out!
JackOnAMacYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 11:44 AM   #2
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOnAMacYT View Post
Not sure anyone else has a Pirates thread, if so then I’ll go over there. If not, then welcome to Pirates Baseball! Where the team is good every 20 years.

Yes I’m a Pirates fan, not from Pittsburgh though. Instead my stomping ground is New Jersey.

Enough about me, how are the Pirates doing? Well here’s where you find out!
I looked through their minor leagues.

I really like Temarr Johnson. In 612 total plate appearances, 130 walks, and a .412 OBP. Walks are SO under-rated, and he's only 19.
dsvitak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 12:13 PM   #3
JackOnAMacYT
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvitak View Post
I looked through their minor leagues.

I really like Temarr Johnson. In 612 total plate appearances, 130 walks, and a .412 OBP. Walks are SO under-rated, and he's only 19.
I’m hoping that the team doesn’t squander the potential we have. Walks are underrated in my opinion as well. Honestly I think an idea for the team would be to build around players who get a lot of walks. The opposite of the Phillies who lives or dies by the long ball.
Old 02-10-2024, 12:23 PM   #4
JackOnAMacYT
All Star Starter

The Bucs signed RHP Brent Honeywell Jr
https://www.bucsdugout.com/2024/2/9/...rent-honeywell
Old 02-10-2024, 05:11 PM   #5
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

When I was young living in Indiana I studied the team. Now that I live in Florida I go to spring training games and have a good time.

Anyway, were the Pirates to develop a team high on walks it would be a reversal of history. For decades Pirates scouts looked for contact and ignored walks and power.

I doubt walks are under rated today. However they used to be considered to have a value of zero, hence the extensive use of IBB.

Pirates Play Moneyball 1951 to 2008 46,000 views and counting!
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 03:15 AM   #6
letsgobuccos
Bat Boy

long time fan here.... I have a lot of mixed feelings.

The overall direction of the team is good. Shelton is excellent from all I can tell. I'm behind their decision making most of the time. It's just that they miss some trends.

They have long gone for prototypical power pitchers. It's a good idea and they do need to take risks but it hasn't always worked. At least not for starters.

Big hopes for Marco Gonzales. Maybe he needs Alika Williams as his personal shortshop, I don't know.

Hope Henry Davis gets a lot of time at C. Remembering Neil Walker and others. Now Davis is probably not a 2B type but people didn't feel that way about Walker either when he moved to 3B. It's too easy to give up on defensive value.

Oh and I love David Bednar. Let's trade him.
letsgobuccos is offline   Reply With Quote