Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues

Old 06-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
BoltsFan1995
New User

Arrow Looking for a career as a player? Join the IBL!

Hello there OOTP fans...

For the past couple days I've been stalking these forums and have noticed a trend among the leagues advertised here: they're all predominantly looking for GMs and all looking for a few GMs to fill openings. Well, if you're looking for something different in your baseball sim league, I'm pleased to say that our baseball sim league is nothing like any advertised here.

The IBL is something completely different!

In our league, most participants aren't GMs or team owners... they're players! That's right, when you sign up for the IBL you pick a position and create a player profile, describing the type of player you want to be. You could make yourself a power hitting first basemen who never walks, a speedy outfielder with a good glove but no power, a flamethrower reliever with no control, a judicious starter who gets outs based on crafty pitch selection rather than powerful stuff... the choice is yours! You literally have the option to pick what kind of player you want yourself to be.

The timeline in our league is loose, too, considering we're just getting started. We have a dedicated core of people already signed up for our league: in fact, we have close to enough for four teams, our goal. When we get the required amount of players our commissioner will start the entry draft and begin the league.

Of course, you may not see the value of such a sim league. "I only want to be a GM," you might say. Or "How do I know such a massive project won't fall on its face early?"

Let me allay those fears. For starters, while one may always want to be in control of their team, they may be missing the value in being a singular player. In the majority of the leagues I've seen advertised here, there is little personality in the game. Many are just taking over preexisting teams with preexisting rosters; even the leagues with fantasy rosters and teams fail to capture the individuality of a league like ours- in which real people make up the teams! Being able to follow your own career based on your own efforts and win a championship as a team is a feeling unable to be replicated in other, more standard leagues. Plus, they require less of a commitment than those leagues- yes, you have to post to make sure your player is a success, but the strains of GM'ng will not hold you back (unless, of course, you'd like your own team- more on that later). You might not believe me about the uniqueness of being part of a team in a sim league rather than an all-controlling GM... well, trust me, I would know!

That's because I participate in several sim leagues like the IBL for hockey and soccer: the BHL, the ISHL, and the F90 Premiership. As you can see, these three leagues are extremely deep, highly intricate, full of interested people... and all hosted by the same forum, TBN, a hockey forum that hosts people interested in all sports. Many of the people from the leagues I mentioned have already signed up for the IBL, including ones with plenty of experience in simming, team administration, and activity. Our commissioner, Chris Walters, runs a BHL team and is active across the forums- so no chance of a sudden death to the league. On the contrary, we know we have a core base of people that aren't disappearing and are hoping for the success of this league!

However, it doesn't happen without more people. In particular, we are short of pitchers. As it stands, we have just enough position players to start our league but desperately need to roughly double our number of pitchers. That doesn't discourage people that can't see themselves creating a pitcher from signing up- all signups are appreciated and others can always switch to pitching. However, if you are thinking of signing up and aren't sure whether you want to be a position player or pitcher, I strongly recommend pitching.

On the subject of teams... as I said, we are looking to start with four teams. We don't have them established yet, but a number of people (including myself) have applied for teams already and we are definitely not short of possible GMs- on the contrary, many people are unfortunately likely to be rejected and only exist as players at the time of the inaugural season. If you are interested in GM'ng in a personal league like this... well, I would definitely encourage you to apply here, but the chances are low of your bid succeeding, with the already sizable amount of interest from people already established at TBN. It doesn't hurt to try, though.

But more importantly, we need players! If you've ever wanted to be a part of a fresh new sim league, the IBL is perfect for you. Following a career as a player in a fantasy sim league with created identities and a created environment is an extremely enjoyable experience. Instead of joining yet another standard sim league in which you must control every aspect of an increasingly stale team- in, overall, an increasingly stale experience- try your hand at being an individual player in a new league. Try the IBL!

Sign-ups are here, in this thread. You will have to create a TBN account to be able to sign up and that's where the league is hosted (creating a TBN account is quite as easy as signing up here and requires just an e-mail address). If you have any questions about this league or would like to know more about the IBL, feel free to PM me here- I'll be checking this thread multiple times a day over the next couple of weeks- or, better yet, create a TBN account and PM me there (same account), PM Chris there (O-Chir, creator of the sign-up thread), or if you have a lot of interest, even create a thread over at TBN in the subforum "Community Actvities" (where our threads are located).

I really do hope you consider joining the International Baseball League- a truly unique way to participate in a sports simulation league!
BoltsFan1995 is offline   Reply With Quote