Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Logos, Graphics, and HTML

Old 05-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
Tiesenberg
Major Leagues

Baseball Card Mod Attempt/Plan

The baseball card function in OOTP 11 is something that I am glad was added to the game. I can picture myself having a lot of fun following certain players throughout their careers and dynasties that I might start. With that said, I must admit to having very little past experience editing XML files. I recently was going through some real baseball cards trying to find some inspiration for possible templates to use in the game. The first attempt at an OOTP card comes with a very loose reinterpretation from a Paul Molitor card I came across from a box of cards:

(The card on the right)

I began to mess around in photoshop with the template included in the game and came out with a pair of cards that look as follow:

I'm pleased with the Upton card, but the Vasquez card brought some problems. As you can see, his name is messed up size-wise. I was using Upton when I was initially working with the XML to place things in the proper place. The XML currently looks like:

<ELEMENT type="text" x="59" y="249" width="100" height="7" align="fit" valign="top" zorder="20" font_name="vera" font_color="#D8EAC8" font_x_size="16" font_y_size="12" content="[%PERSON_NAME]" />

Any help or ideas on how to get the names to appear properly regardless of the length of names would go a long way in helping me move onto other teams and playing around with the backs of the cards.

My plan right now is to come up with a card prototype for each team. From here, the user can put the template from the team they are using into the OOTP folder and be able to create a card that they feel suits their team.

Thanks everyone, and Happy Mother's Day to all mom's out there.
Tiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
joe_44850
Minors (Single A)

I'm a big fan of the cards myself, but I was a little frustrated by the stats limitations on the back. This inspired me to write a utility program of my own, which imports the csv files, then creates cards based upon the template you create using the template editor. Here is an example of the resulting card using my template editor:

This card is part of the 1889 series. It was designed using my editor:

The program is still in beta, but it allows you to create all active players, or limit it to all active players on one particular team, and it creates a nice filing system that names each card after the player (instead of just ID), and puts them into a team folder. Once I'm sure the program is bug-free, I'll make it available, if anyone is interested.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
Tiesenberg
Major Leagues

Your program looks like it works very well, using the CSV is a great idea.

I've been fooling around with the XML some more and fooled around some more with my template. Here's what I've got so far:

I've got a post in another part of the board asking for more of the %tokens, if I get that, hopefully will be able to add to the back of the card.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:34 AM   #4
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_44850 View Post
I'm a big fan of the cards myself, but I was a little frustrated by the stats limitations on the back. This inspired me to write a utility program of my own, which imports the csv files, then creates cards based upon the template you create using the template editor. Here is an example of the resulting card using my template editor:

The program is still in beta, but it allows you to create all active players, or limit it to all active players on one particular team, and it creates a nice filing system that names each card after the player (instead of just ID), and puts them into a team folder. Once I'm sure the program is bug-free, I'll make it available, if anyone is interested.
Looks good. Would be very helpful.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
Syt
Minors (Double A)

Oooh, I love those backsides. How customizable is that bit? I.e. could I use graphical templates for the backside, too, or is the graphic you reference for the whole card?

And how customizable is the content of the backsides?
Old 05-10-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
joe_44850
Minors (Single A)

I'm actually working on the backs now. I have added the ability to add font colors for the player info, font color for the stats, image background, and colors 1 and colors 2. Here is one card from the 1890 set with a tobacco back + stats (the back colors were both set to FFFFFF in order to make them 'clear'). Oh, one more thing, even though this particular player was traded to the Generals, his pic was taken when he was the Chicago Clubs organization, thus the pic discrepancy, which I kind of like, because a lot of Topps cards are like that). I should have the beta program ready for download by Friday, I just want to make sure it can handle large csv imports. It has absolutely no problem with 5 seasons, we'll see how it does when I get up to 70 or 80...

So far, the stats are the only thing not customizable, but I do intend to change that. As of now, it prints stats per year (the stats you see) and creates a total. It then saves each card as an html document. I'm working on an html to image converter, but the html actually makes things really easy for online stuff.

Ok, I better actually get to work - my paying job haha.

Last edited by joe_44850; 05-10-2010 at 08:39 AM.
joe_44850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
Syt
Minors (Double A)

Wow, that's really, really awesome, and puts [ur=http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/ootp-mods-logos-graphics-html/196723-deadball-era-baseball-cards.html]my card templates[/url] pretty much to shame, and I'm really looking forward to playing with this.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
Dr. Wu
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
I'm actually working on the backs now. I have added the ability to add font colors for the player info, font color for the stats, image background, and colors 1 and colors 2. Here is one card from the 1890 set with a tobacco back + stats (the back colors were both set to FFFFFF in order to make them 'clear'). Oh, one more thing, even though this particular player was traded to the Generals, his pic was taken when he was the Chicago Clubs organization, thus the pic discrepancy, which I kind of like, because a lot of Topps cards are like that). I should have the beta program ready for download by Friday, I just want to make sure it can handle large csv imports. It has absolutely no problem with 5 seasons, we'll see how it does when I get up to 70 or 80...

So far, the stats are the only thing not customizable, but I do intend to change that. As of now, it prints stats per year (the stats you see) and creates a total. It then saves each card as an html document. I'm working on an html to image converter, but the html actually makes things really easy for online stuff.

Ok, I better actually get to work - my paying job haha.
Can you customize the fonts themselves as well using your program? I've been a little frustrated by how the baseball card function only seems to recognize verdana.
Dr. Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
joe_44850
Minors (Single A)

Yes, included with the utility program is a font loader, which then makes the fonts available and preserves them through the card creation process. In the example I posted, I downloaded a script font and used it. It is important to note that I didn't install the script font to my computer, I simply imported it into the card editor.

The fonts for stats, however, are arial and are kept at 9px so that they fit. While you can change the font for player name, position, and team name, the stats fonts will probably remain set in stone, so-to-speak.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #10
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiesenberg View Post
Your program looks like it works very well, using the CSV is a great idea.

I've been fooling around with the XML some more and fooled around some more with my template. Here's what I've got so far:

I've got a post in another part of the board asking for more of the %tokens, if I get that, hopefully will be able to add to the back of the card.
Are these being created like this in game?
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:41 PM   #11
joe_44850
Minors (Single A)

Mine aren't, mine are being created through a utility program I'm working on. I will have it available for download next week sometime.

However, it's a fairly simple process. You would export your database as csv files, open the utility program, load the template you want (or create a new one), then click on "Create Cards". You have the choice to create everyone, just players from certain teams, or qualified players (3.1 ab per game or 50ip)
Old 05-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #12
Tiesenberg
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
Are these being created like this in game?
Yes and no. The cards are being created in the game, however I have to change the bb_cardfame1.png file to the team that I want to have created.

I am finishing up the templates for each team that are interchangeable.

I've also changed the backs of the cards some more. I'll post what they look like now a little later. Also hoping to add some more to the back of the cards once I learn more of the %token shortcuts.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #13
micropterus58
All Star Starter

Great idea Joe_44850. Hopefully you will get some suggestions from others that have worked on modifying the cards previously. I'm sure there are a few people drooling on their keyboards thinking about creating classic baseball cards. Unfortunately all of my baseball cards ended being used in my bicycle spokes. Who knew they'd be worth something.
micropterus58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #14
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

Quote:

Yes please. Very nice
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:20 AM   #15
joe_44850
Minors (Single A)

Today I added the ability to put text at an angle. This is a really cool effect when coupled with a script font, giving the card an autographed look. I also added capability of putting a background image for the back of the card. This example is of Gonzalo Girardi, who showed so much promise for the Portland Pioneers but has since fallen from grace. He now resides in Detroit and plays right field for the Mustangs. He is going to be the first in his neighborhood to purchase a new-fangled horseless carriage providing he can return to form and get a conract extension.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:01 AM   #16
Tiesenberg
Major Leagues

Joe, that looks outstanding! The autograph effect is a very nice touch to the card.

I spent a little more time tonight messing around with my cards. Here's what they look like as of now:

Old 05-11-2010, 07:11 AM   #17
joe_44850
Minors (Single A)

Tiesenberg those are some slick looking templates. I believe I'll be using some of those ideas when I get into a more modern era (my league is still in the 19th century)
Old 05-11-2010, 02:26 PM   #18
Ambermonk
All Star Starter

Quote:
Tiesenberg those are some slick looking templates. I believe I'll be using some of those ideas when I get into a more modern era (my league is still in the 19th century)

I hope you keep the year-by-year player history on the backside. That's one of the features that I like best.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #19
joe_44850
Minors (Single A)

My template will always generate the year by year stats. I grew up seeing baseball cards with their stats printed that way, and so I'd spend more time looking at the backs of cards than their fronts. Right now I'm creating a few more card-creation options, such as creation year point (so you can back-create cards) and whether or not minor league stats are shown. I'm getting pretty close to having this program finished. I'll have it posted and ready for beta-testing soon, the only thing I won't be able to test is how it performs with very large databases.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #20
joe_44850
Minors (Single A)

Beta Version Available for download

So I'm keeping this beta testing pretty low-key. You guys that have posted or followed this thread are welcome to give it a test drive and make notes of what doesn't work. Please keep in mind these gotcha's:

Windows Only (sorry Apple/Mac peeps)
No help or read me files yet

Basically you'll want to do this:
download the setup file from
http://www.joelinstrum.com/ootp-util...tils-setup.exe
Set up OOTP-Utils and make sure you check create shortcuts or you'll never be able to find the right executable
Import your database (on the opening screen)
Then in the menu under utilities, go to the Card Creator.
Once your cards have been created, you'll have the option to view a team
All "cards" are actually html files, located in C:\program files\ootp-utils\baseballcards\cards\name-of-your-directory (you'll have the option to name the directory when you click on 'Create Cards'. I usually name the directory(folder) after the stats year I am creating cards from.
If you choose to leave the year field blank, it simply defaults to the latest year of your export
If you edit the template and want to save the changes as a new template, just fill in the template name (bottom right) with a new name.

Wow, I really will need to make a help file.

There is a default template that should load (crossing fingers). To create your cards, simply click on Create Card. You may want to stick to one team at a time until you get the template the way you want it.

Good Luck.

Last edited by joe_44850; 05-13-2010 at 05:35 PM.
joe_44850 is offline   Reply With Quote