Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 09-26-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
Afino
Hall Of Famer

AI doesn't even follow the "code"!

I just had a no-hitter broken up with 1 out in the 8th by an AI player who just laid down a bunt.

plz2makeAIfollowthecode

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

PS: This is meant to be a joke - it's not really a "bug", so that's why it's here. But for future reference, this is the kind of AI stuff that should be fixed.

Last edited by Afino; 09-26-2009 at 10:47 PM. Reason: clarifying title as to not alert the men upstairs...it's not THAT important!
Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
Afino
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and I've never been happier for the "hit batter" button for the next batter up.

Even though the AI may have not known they were breaking the "code", I did.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Was the batter Ben Davis? It might not be a bug.
BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
TNCubsFan
Major Leagues

What was the game score at the time?

Was it a perfect game or a no-hitter?

Depending on the two answers maybe it wasnt a blatant violation of the code IMO.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
Afino
Hall Of Famer

6-0 in the bottom of the 8th.

Perfect game was gone.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
bababui
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
WAH WAH!! Pete Rose WAH WAH!!
bababui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
TNCubsFan
Major Leagues

6-0. Yes the next guy needed to be plunked and the bunter needed to wear one next time you two played too.

Runners at 1 & 2 w/ 0 outs in a 1-0 game I have no problem with the bunt. In this situation I just sigh and say, "well its just a game."

I do agree with you though. It would be nice if the game followed "the code". However there are lots of things I would like to see done first before Marcus spent time working on this.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Oh, and I've never been happier for the "hit batter" button for the next batter up.

Even though the AI may have not known they were breaking the "code", I did.
Bob Brenly has a support group you may want to join
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
bababui
Hall Of Famer

Cook: Baseball etiquette should be pitched

Quote:
Latest word from the Arizona Diamondbacks' clubhouse is pitcher Curt Schilling plans no retaliation against San Diego Padres catcher Ben Davis when they face each other again Friday night. Schilling has promised not to hit Davis with a pitch -- at least not intentionally -- even though Davis had the nerve to break up Schilling's perfect-game bid Saturday night with an eighth-inning bunt single.
How special of Schilling.
bababui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:41 PM   #10
Tony M
Global Moderator

I don't get this code. Why would a batter not try his hardest to get on base? Who cares if the pitcher is on for a no-no or perfect, it's up to the pitcher to keep that going. The beauty of baseball is that you could be down 20-0 in the middle of the 9th and you can still win the game.

If a pitcher plunks the batter straight after a no-no/perfect bid is broken then the pitcher should be banned for a month.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #11
Tony M
Global Moderator

If a batter say had three grand slams in a game and he comes up bases loaded and launches a deep fly that just doesn't appear to have the legs should the outfielder bobble the catch so that it goes over the fence because it would be so cool to see a four grand-slam outing by a batter???

I don't imagine the answer is yes.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:57 PM   #12
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
I don't get this code. Why would a batter not try his hardest to get on base? Who cares if the pitcher is on for a no-no or perfect, it's up to the pitcher to keep that going. The beauty of baseball is that you could be down 20-0 in the middle of the 9th and you can still win the game.

If a pitcher plunks the batter straight after a no-no/perfect bid is broken then the pitcher should be banned for a month.
I like the fact OOTP will bunt in this situation. I play out all of my games and if I have a no-no going I do bring in the 3b if a good bunter comes up.

I don't buy the "rule" IRL and though I like Brenly as an announcer for my Cubs I thought he was wrong to go crazy over this.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #13
Jah
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

To me, "the code" in this instance means you get your hit by swinging at the damn ball, not bunting...especially if you're down 6-0 in the 8th inning.
Jah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:15 PM   #14
Tony M
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah View Post
To me, "the code" in this instance means you get your hit by swinging at the damn ball, not bunting...especially if you're down 6-0 in the 8th inning.
But by that logic you can never bunt, because if it's not ok to bunt on a perfect game attempt at 8.0 then you shouldn't do it at 7.2, and if you shouldn't do it at 7.2, then 7.1 is a no-no as well, all the way back to before the first out.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #15
Carlton_Willey
Major Leagues

Jun 22, 1947 - Ewell Blackwell just misses pitching back-to-back no-hitters when Eddie Stanky of the Brooklyn Dodgers singles with one out in the 9th inning. Stanky's hit ends Blackwell's hitless-inning skein at 19. Blackwell then gets Al Gionfriddo before Jackie Robinson bangs out a single. Blackwell wins 4-0‚ his 9th straight win to improve to 11-2.

I remember Jean Shepard (he of 'A Christmas Story' fame) saying on his radio show that Stanky bunted for the hit. Of course, Shep was the consummate radio story teller.

If you don't how Eddie Stanky played ball, look him up. Bunting for this hit may have been the least irritating thing he ever did.

"Joe, there were a hundred thousand people there and they were all cheering and clapping; you've never seen anything like it."

"Yes, I have," DiMaggio responded.
Carlton_Willey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #16
Raffke
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I agree with you Tony M, as a hitter you are paid to get on base whatever the situation - if the fielders aren't good enough to stop you then that is there problem.
Raffke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:47 PM   #17
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton_Willey View Post
Jun 22, 1947 - Ewell Blackwell just misses pitching back-to-back no-hitters when Eddie Stanky of the Brooklyn Dodgers singles with one out in the 9th inning. Stanky's hit ends Blackwell's hitless-inning skein at 19. Blackwell then gets Al Gionfriddo before Jackie Robinson bangs out a single. Blackwell wins 4-0‚ his 9th straight win to improve to 11-2.

I remember Jean Shepard (he of 'A Christmas Story' fame) saying on his radio show that Stanky bunted for the hit. Of course, Shep was the consummate radio story teller.

If you don't how Eddie Stanky played ball, look him up. Bunting for this hit may have been the least irritating thing he ever did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia;
One season, whenever he was the runner on third base, Stanky developed the habit of standing several feet back of the bag, in left field. If a fly ball was hit, he would time its arc, then take off running so as to step on third base just as the catch was being made. In this way he would be running towards home at full speed from the beginning of the play, making it almost impossible to throw him out. This tactic was made illegal following the season. Stanky was also (in)famous for what came to be called "the Stanky maneuver", where he would take advantage of his position on second base to distract opposing batters by jumping up and down and waving his arms behind the pitcher.
Epic.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:14 PM   #18
Jah
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
But by that logic you can never bunt, because if it's not ok to bunt on a perfect game attempt at 8.0 then you shouldn't do it at 7.2, and if you shouldn't do it at 7.2, then 7.1 is a no-no as well, all the way back to before the first out.
Don't know where you derived all of that from what I said...I was speaking of the situation presented here (6-0, 8th inning) - namely, late in the game, with a wide margin. I'd be cool with bunting late in a no-no bid if it's a 1 or 2-run game...but if that's not the case, and you're only bunting to break up the no-hitter - it's a cheap way to do it, IMHO. In other words, if the game situation calls for a bunt, then bunt. But if the game situation does not call for a bunt, then you should not bunt.

In the end, it is all about using common sense and showing a little sportsmanship.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #19
OakDragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah View Post
Don't know where you derived all of that from what I said...I was speaking of the situation presented here (6-0, 8th inning) - namely, late in the game, with a wide margin. I'd be cool with bunting late in a no-no bid if it's a 1 or 2-run game...but if that's not the case, and you're only bunting to break up the no-hitter - it's a cheap way to do it, IMHO. In other words, if the game situation calls for a bunt, then bunt. But if the game situation does not call for a bunt, then you should not bunt.

In the end, it is all about using common sense and showing a little sportsmanship.
(Re. the part I bolded: )

IMO, if you're down by six in the 8th and a no-hitter is on, you're desperate to get on base and make something happen at any cost. You want to win, right? You need to get on base any way that you can and that includes doing something to catch the opposition off guard. Sounds like a situation that calls for a bunt, to me.

Last edited by OakDragon; 09-27-2009 at 07:49 PM.
OakDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:09 PM   #20
Jah
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakDragon View Post
(Re. the part I bolded: )

IMO, if you're down by six in the 8th and a no-hitter is on, you're desperate to get on base and make something happen at any cost. You want to win, right? You need to get on base any way that you can and that includes doing something to catch the opposition off guard. Sounds like a situation that calls for a bunt, to me.
That far behind that late in the game, it's still bad form IMHO...I prefer the batter get his hit the old-fashioned way. I'd rather be no-hit with a line drive out in my last at-bat, rather than breaking it up with a bunt when the game's out of reach.

Of course, if you do break up a no-no by bunting safely in a situation like this, be ready to catch some grief from the opposing team next time around...and maybe your own teammates as well.