Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 09-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
Jabs
Minors (Double A)

Why can't I.....

...demote an injured player who is listed as day-to-day on my Major League Roster? It tells me that the player is injured and to put him on the DL instead. I don't want to as the season is going into the playoffs and the AAA team is done. He doesn't need a trip to the DL (his injured time is only a few days), but I need to trim my roster down to 25 players.

This isn't a huge deal, but I shouldn't be forced to place a day-to-day player on the DL. I wouldn't mind if it suggested I could put him on the DL, but then still allow me to demote him to AAA.
Jabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

LGO or the like can probably cite chapter and verse but I'm pretty sure there are major league rules against demoting injured players. Since minor league time is not counted against service time but DL time is, it could be used to stretch out the pre-free agency period of a younger player who gets hurt.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
lighthousekeeper
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
LGO or the like can probably cite chapter and verse but I'm pretty sure there are major league rules against demoting injured players. Since minor league time is not counted against service time but DL time is, it could be used to stretch out the pre-free agency period of a younger player who gets hurt.
yeah, but what if you want to demote him not because he is inured but because he is playing poorly? the comissioner's office doesn't even need to know that the player is injured.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Except that all injuries are going to be reported for insurance reasons.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
endgame
Hall Of Famer

If he's only DTD, and the playoffs are within a few days, trim your roster down as you've planned, and simply keep him a part of the active 25. It sounds as if you want to have the player available, so why not run with the 24 certainties and hope he'll be healed in time to utilize him in the lineup? How important is he in your playoff plans, assuming he will eventually be able to contribute? In addition, if you are going into the playoffs and you were able to demote him, you won't have another opportunity to bring him onto an active roster until that playoff series ends anyway. If you won't miss him, then what's the harm in DLing him in the first place?

Last edited by endgame; 09-07-2010 at 03:10 PM.
endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
Yep, this year in MLB the Brewers wanted to send P Marco Estrada to the minors but since he was injured he was instead sent to the DL and is accruing service time.
kingcharlesxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
Scott Vibert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
yeah, but what if you want to demote him not because he is inured but because he is playing poorly? the comissioner's office doesn't even need to know that the player is injured.
This would likely result in a grievance which the team would lose. While on the DL the player makes the MLB minimum as opposed to 1/10th that in the minors. If the player can legitimately cite an injury, he goes to the DL. In OOTP we know for certain the player is hurt and have to play by the rules.
Scott Vibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #8
Mitch McQuick
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabs View Post
...demote an injured player who is listed as day-to-day on my Major League Roster? It tells me that the player is injured and to put him on the DL instead. I don't want to as the season is going into the playoffs and the AAA team is done. He doesn't need a trip to the DL (his injured time is only a few days), but I need to trim my roster down to 25 players.

This isn't a huge deal, but I shouldn't be forced to place a day-to-day player on the DL. I wouldn't mind if it suggested I could put him on the DL, but then still allow me to demote him to AAA.
This seems to be an incovenience of OOTP. When the playoffs start, teams that make the playoffs should be able to send whatever players they don't want on their first round playoff roster to some sort of temporary inactive list (or move the 25 players they want on the first-round roster from their active roster to a "playoff roster").

I'm into my first playoff experience with OOTP11 and here's how I am getting around the issue. Since I act as supreme overlord over all teams' transactions (Commisioner Mode checked on my Manager Options page, and I clicked "Set all teams to not allow AI roster changes" under Roster Functions of the Game Setup > Functions page), I go the player's Editor page (tab will appear to the right of BNN Player Page in Commisioner Mode) and assign a 1-day None injury to the players who I deem not worthy of being on the 25-man playoff roster, then move them to the 15-day DL from the Transactions Overview page, then I open up their Editor Page and shorten their time left on the DL to 1 day (or I guess 0 would work too). In essence, I am using the DL as a place to store my inactives ("series scratches" to hockey types) and I try to follow all the rules that are in place and have been explained very well by Le Grande Orange at several places in the forum when it comes to replacing injured players between or during series.
Mitch McQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #9
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch McQuick View Post
This seems to be an incovenience of OOTP. When the playoffs start, teams that make the playoffs should be able to send whatever players they don't want on their first round playoff roster to some sort of temporary inactive list (or move the 25 players they want on the first-round roster from their active roster to a "playoff roster").

I'm into my first playoff experience with OOTP11 and here's how I am getting around the issue. Since I act as supreme overlord over all teams' transactions (Commisioner Mode checked on my Manager Options page, and I clicked "Set all teams to not allow AI roster changes" under Roster Functions of the Game Setup > Functions page), I go the player's Editor page (tab will appear to the right of BNN Player Page in Commisioner Mode) and assign a 1-day None injury to the players who I deem not worthy of being on the 25-man playoff roster, then move them to the 15-day DL from the Transactions Overview page, then I open up their Editor Page and shorten their time left on the DL to 1 day (or I guess 0 would work too). In essence, I am using the DL as a place to store my inactives ("series scratches" to hockey types) and I try to follow all the rules that are in place and have been explained very well by Le Grande Orange at several places in the forum when it comes to replacing injured players between or during series.
That's complicated. The day after the reg season ends, set the DFA and Waiver lists to 31 days. That effectively stops all player movement but allows you to move players as allowed between series. At the end of the playoffs set the DFA/waivers back to normal. You will have 3-5 days to trade or dispose of guys with no options.

I do this to prevent waiver claims making it onto playoff rosters.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote