Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 04-11-2007, 05:22 PM   #21
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekester91 View Post
the diffrents between the above option and sound is that sounds going to make the file size and the programs footprint a lot bigger. If Markus wants to put out two diffrent files, one with sound and one without so that those of us that don't want sound don't have the extra space wasted, I'm all for it.
OOTP version 5 had sound, don't remember having to rush out and buy a new hard drive to accomodate the download or install.

Just not a good reason to not have sound in the game IMO
Old 04-11-2007, 06:53 PM   #22
SunDevil
Major Leagues

I really miss the sound of the game. If 2007 had sound I would have already bought the game. I really miss the sound.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:02 PM   #23
kagnew35
All Star Starter

EA's Baseball Pro series had the opening song bout joe d, mickey and the duke. Can't member name, was it Where have you gone, joe dimaggio?

What I's relly like is to have a pbp announcer, get rid of text pbp all together.

http://www.soxxcountry.com/ site with FaceGen Central and Duffys Tavern Live OOTP Chat Room
kagnew35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:36 PM   #24
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
How can a game get such high reviews -- like a 5 out of 5 at Gamespot -- when it is missing an entire production element? I have played OOTP in the past and love the game. But now I'm thinking I should give Mogul another look. I don't know if I can pay $35 for a baseball game without MLB rosters or sound.
The sound thing I can take or leave.

As far as MLB rosters are concerned, have no fear! The user community will come up with up-to-the-second rosters much better than the game developers could have. And I'm sure there are face packs in the works as well.

Historical play with OOTP is absurdly easy. Just DL the Lahman database and follow the simple instructions on this forum and viola! Real rosters. Any year in MLB history. Right now I'm playing the 1957 Cleveland Indians.

Years ago I played Mogul. Then I discovered OOTP.

Last edited by Antonin; 04-11-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:05 PM   #25
Wallace Milam
Bat Boy

Sound in OOTP7

Quote:
I personaly hope sound doesn't come back, it's already a heafty 71+ meg download. do we really need an extra say 20 or 30 megs just on something a quarter of us will turn off, another 3rd will never use as they don't play out games....
You didn't finish the sentence above. The rest of the sentence would logically be, "but that the remaining 42% will want because sounds are a part of an actual baseball game." I play out all my games and my major purpose for playing sports simulations is to create a fantasy in which the games are being played out before my eyes--and ears. DMB, Action PC and the other baseball simulations have sound, as do golf games, etc. By the way, does SI's Football Manager have sound? I am not familiar with it.
Wallace Milam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:13 PM   #26
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace Milam View Post
By the way, does SI's Football Manager have sound? I am not familiar with it.
Yes, it does (crowd noises and in-game sounds. no spoken pbp) along with a very good 2d presentation of the matches.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:29 AM   #27
fantom1979
Hall Of Famer

Just some previous posts I dug up that might explain why their isnt sound in the game currently.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ighlight=sound

In this very short lived poll, 42% did not want sound, 33% did not care, and 24% wanted it.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ts&pollid=2913

In this poll of version 6 (the last game with sound)
54% of Windows XP users had some kind of technical problem with the sound in the game.

Both of these polls have few votes and of course are not scientific, but as they are the only polls I could find on sound in the game, it might help indicate why it is now a lower priority.

fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:09 AM   #28
Crimguy
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neags23 View Post
My girlfriend had the nerve to call me obsessed the other day!
I had that issue with a little game called War in the Pacific. She learned a lot about me that month, er, year.
Crimguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:12 AM   #29
Crimguy
Minors (Triple A)

To stay on topic, I actually like sound some of the time. Puresim has a very nice in-game soundset. Adds to the atmosphere IMHO.

However, the lack of sound doesn't distract from OOTP in any measureable way.
Crimguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:28 PM   #30
disposableheros
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
Is there supposed to be sound when you are watching a game?

I am playing the trial version and still deciding whether to purchase. I am watching my first game and everything is silent. Where are the crowd sounds and the crack of the bat? Either I am doing something wrong or this is an incredible oversite.

What, if anything, do I do to enable sound in the broadcast?

Thanks!
since you are not doing anything wrong, it MUST be an incredible oversite [sic]

Baseball Maelstrom - New York Mets - 180-149 .547
Corporate League Baseball - Coke Buzz - 889-649 .578
Western Hemisphere Baseball League - Santiago Saints - 672-793 .459

Record - 2428-2271 .517
disposableheros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #31
Solonor
Hall Of Famer

I never expected sound in a text-based sim, and I wound up turning it off in v5, because it just locked up my PC and added nothing to the game.

HOWEVER, if it were done right and included announcers... man, that would be tough to beat. I still miss Mel Allen calling the games in "Old Time Baseball".

Not saying it's critical or that there's something missing without it. I wouldn't break a sweat if it never came back. But if it does and it's done right, it will be a great enhancement.

"Beings will come, Frodo. The one constant through all the years has been baseball. Middle Earth has rolled by like an army of Mumakil. It has been erased like a slate, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Frodo. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... beings will come Frodo. Beings will most definitely come." - Gladden Field of Dreams
Solonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:44 PM   #32
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Sound would be great, but hardly essential. I've gone through four other versions with the sound either turned off or unavailable, and I don't miss it much at all.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:20 PM   #33
Claymore
All Star Reserve

Sound would be a great way to expand the userbase and I for one would welcome sound. I understand that there might be compatibility issues with certain computers, but they certainly would not be as bad as the facegen graphics issues.
Claymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:27 PM   #34
Hageneezz
All Star Reserve

Can`t someone make a sound mod,or is this impossible to make?
Hageneezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:37 PM   #35
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hageneezz View Post
Can`t someone make a sound mod,or is this impossible to make?
There's just nothing in the game to support sound, so there's nothing to mod. It would have to be written into the source code, and I doubt SI's gonna GPL it.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:36 PM   #36
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neags23 View Post
Really, if you think about it, the sound would be nice for about a week. After that, you're going to get sick of it and turn it off and listen to music
or a ball game in the background or something.
No, YOU might get sick of it and turn it off - I might (and did) buy a brand new $2,000 computer a couple years back when SP2 killed the sound in v6. For some of us sound is very important.

For the life of me I never understand when people want things left out of the game that they can simply turn off or ignore.

for example - I will never, ever, never play a league that is not based on MLB - however the fact that the game supports it is great. for those that want to play that way - but I wouldn't want it removed just because I don't want to play it that way.

example #2 - draft picks - Unless the MLB changes the rule and starts allowing trading of draft picks - I will always turn this OFF. However I would never suggest that the option should be removed.

Bottom line - some of us really like sound, if you don't fine - ignore it. But if we start removing everything that everyone doesn't want - the game will be one line of code.

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Giants44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:38 PM   #37
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants44 View Post
No, YOU might get sick of it and turn it off - I might (and did) buy a brand new $2,000 computer a couple years back when SP2 killed the sound in v6. For some of us sound is very important.

For the life of me I never understand when people want things left out of the game that they can simply turn off or ignore.

for example - I will never, ever, never play a league that is not based on MLB - however the fact that the game supports it is great. for those that want to play that way - but I wouldn't want it removed just because I don't want to play it that way.

example #2 - draft picks - Unless the MLB changes the rule and starts allowing trading of draft picks - I will always turn this OFF. However I would never suggest that the option should be removed.

Bottom line - some of us really like sound, if you don't fine - ignore it. But if we start removing everything that everyone doesn't want - the game will be one line of code.
Amen!
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:42 AM   #38
cbbl
All Star Starter

Quote:
I'd go get a new graphics card for facegen,
Oh good. I wasn't the only one to shell out $30 for OOTP and $200 for a new graphics card.

Well, I needed one anyway, didn't I?

cbbl
cbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #39
Neags23
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants44 View Post

I never said I wanted it left out of the game. I just said a user would probably get sick of it over time. Once I hit somewhere around 50 games with NCAA football, Corso and Herbstreit had said every thing they had to say and I just couldn't take it anymore.

If they want to add sound to the game and that adds to the fanbase, I'm all for it. I would not, however, want the addition of sound to interfere or take away from time that goes toward improving/enhancing/adding to the core of the game.
Neags23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:35 AM   #40
Ksyrup
Major Leagues

Sound is like facegen...something that is nice to create immersion in the game, but not critical. I'm probably in the minority, but as much as I like facegen, I'd be willing in a heartbeat to have seen it scrapped if it would have meant more attention paid to critical issues with the game itself that could have been remedied before the game was released. IMO, the secondary "immersion" features should be put aside until the substantive gameplay issues are taken care of.

As someone who hasn't even seen what the in-game sim screen looks like and probably never will, sound means absolutely nothing to me. However, I understand why people want it, but I'd rather see, say, in-game AI management logic tightened up before I hear sound. But that's just me.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote