Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 11-24-2006, 03:26 PM   #21
Kemp
All Star Starter

I played with John Mabry in college. Also played against Jeff Bagwell, Willie Banks and Allen Watson. Watson hit me in the butt with a pitch and it still stings a little (and it happened about 16 years ago).
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 04:22 PM   #22
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I know the game's creator, Markus Heinsohn! I mean, I've heard of him.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:47 PM   #23
OakDragon
Hall Of Famer

I also forgot... Ken Caminiti is the son in law of one of my father's best friends.
OakDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:03 PM   #24
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

I was struck out by Mauro Gozzo. Twice.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:25 AM   #25
Kemp
All Star Starter

Not really relevant to this but an interesting story nonetheless. When I was in college (I went to a small Division 1 school in Pennyslvania) my roommate was the backup QB on the football team. One year he decided that he wanted to try out for the baseball team as a pitcher. He was very tall (6'5" or so) and threw hard as hell but his mechanics were a mess. I used to catch him in the gym to help him prepare for the spring tryouts (I was an infielder but was ok with helping).

Anyway, his mechanics weren't coming around so he told me he was going to call "his neighbor who played in the majors" to come work with him/us in the gym a little bit. Turns out, it was Tug McGraw! I learned this when I came home from class one day and there was a message on our answering machine, "Hey Lance, this is Tug, got your message and I'd be happy to get together...."
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:21 AM   #26
Jabs
Minors (Double A)

I was a college teammate of Adam LaRoche while at Fort Scott, Kansas. Our head coach was Adam's father, Dave. While in Kansas, we played against Albert Pujols (sure am glad I wasn't pitching that day)

I also played a few years of college ball in Oklahoma, where I was a teammate of Stephen Smitherman (short stint with the Reds).

I spent one semester at a school in Council Bluffs, IA before transferring to Fort Scott, and was teammates with Dan Johnson of the Oakland A's.

Last edited by Jabs; 11-25-2006 at 11:25 AM.
Jabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:21 AM   #27
Cool Papa Bell
Major Leagues

My neighbor here in The Woodlands, Texas is Doug Drabek...I golf with him on occasion and my daughter is graduating from high school this year with his son Kyle, who was just the #1 pick of the Phillies. Lots of great baseball talent in the Houston area.

When I lived and coached in Virginia a while back, I coached David Wright when he was 11 years old, coached against Great Bridge H.S. when they had Michael Cuddyer and John Curtice, both first round draft picks of the Twins and Red Sox respectively. They were the first high school teammates to be drafted it the first round of the MLB amateur draft since 1972. A lot of talent in the Tidewater area of Virginia as well.

I also worked years back for the AAA Scranton Wilkes-Barre Red Barons, who were the Phillies affiliate. I've stayed friends with Keith Miller and several others who played back in the early 90's. All of them are Strat-O-Matic players though...we need to recruit some OOTP gamers.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:51 AM   #28
ctorg
Global Moderator

My friend went to high school for a year with Rich Aurilia, who was three years ahead of him.

"When the trees blow back and forth, that's what makes the wind." - Steven Wright

Fjord emena pancreas thorax fornicate marmalade morpheme proteolysis smaxa cabana offal srue vitriol grope hallelujah lentils
ctorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:08 PM   #29
andymac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by APujols5 View Post
Plus from working for the Peoria Chiefs for a little bit

Chris Duncan
Travis Hanson
Tyler Johnson
Yady Molina
Stu Pomeranz
Were you working for Chiefs when my good friend Jordan Pals was pitching for them?

FTB: andymac
andymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:44 PM   #30
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

I once stood outside Bowie Kuhn's house.

He lived on the same street as my favorite cousin, in the suburbs of Chicago. Granted, he lived twelve miles away, but it was the same street. We bicycled there one afternoon when I was about ten years old, and got in much trouble for getting home late.

I attended the same junior college that Willie Randolph ALMOST attended, and at the time when he would've been there. He chose to turn pro instead after they regretfully informed him that they weren't allowed to provide jobs, housing or athletic scholarships (and they still aren't).

I also graduated from the same high school as the career leader in wins by a minor league manager, but several years after he did.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:47 PM   #31
AggermanTxR
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I know Josh Beckett, I mean my sister dated his then best friend, he's been to my house. He went to Spring HS in Spring, TX. I was a senior at rival Westfield, I guess he was a junior. (Westfield sucked at baseball). He was a well sought after prospect at Spring.
AggermanTxR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:26 AM   #32
chanman
Minors (Double A)

Tyler Clippard in the Yanks minor leagues. Went to high school with him and dated the same girl. Also any of the UCF guys in the game. A good amount of them around.
chanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:45 AM   #33
Vris
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp View Post
Not really relevant to this but an interesting story nonetheless. When I was in college (I went to a small Division 1 school in Pennyslvania) my roommate was the backup QB on the football team. One year he decided that he wanted to try out for the baseball team as a pitcher. He was very tall (6'5" or so) and threw hard as hell but his mechanics were a mess. I used to catch him in the gym to help him prepare for the spring tryouts (I was an infielder but was ok with helping).

Anyway, his mechanics weren't coming around so he told me he was going to call "his neighbor who played in the majors" to come work with him/us in the gym a little bit. Turns out, it was Tug McGraw! I learned this when I came home from class one day and there was a message on our answering machine, "Hey Lance, this is Tug, got your message and I'd be happy to get together...."
There's such a thing as a small Division 1 school?

Blog it.
Vris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:16 AM   #34
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vris View Post
There's such a thing as a small Division 1 school?
I suppose that was a joke, but, yeah. It depends on what you call 'small'. I attended (for one year) a Division I ice hockey school with an undergraduate enrollment under 2500.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:27 AM   #35
jeheinz72
Hall Of Famer

I played little league with Eric Byrnes and former Cardinal John Gall (now playing in Japan I believe). I also used to date Keith Millar's cousin for a short time.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:38 AM   #36
spot
All Star Reserve

I briefly dated Rob Dibble's sister. I never met him though. (Let's just say she dated alot of guys...)
Manager of the Year - 1993
spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:41 PM   #37
APujols5
Banned

Infractions: 1/3 (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andymac View Post
Were you working for Chiefs when my good friend Jordan Pals was pitching for them?
Yes I have met Jordan, really nice guy. Can't really say we were friends though because we never really did hang out alot. with the exception of Yady, the guys I bonded with most were the ones that I would play golf with and Jordan never did go with our group. So I don't know if he was just golfing with others? or if he doesn't play golf?
APujols5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:22 AM   #38
jeheinz72
Hall Of Famer

I forgot that I also know Giants SP/MR Kevin Correia. He dated a girl who was a friend of my then girlfriend (now wife). He had just been drafted by the Giants (my favorite team) but was pissed because he is a Padres fan. I thought he was a prick.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:38 PM   #39
Lazareth
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
My aunt dated Orel Herchiser when he pitched for the Clinton Giants. I have a pic of me riding on his shoulders when I was like 3. A friend of mine dated Wes Obermueller when he was with the Hawkeyes. I married a former All-MVC UNI Volleyball player.
Lazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:43 PM   #40
bp_
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazareth View Post
I married a former All-MVC UNI Volleyball player.
How did she get into OOTP?