Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-09-2006, 07:35 AM   #41
domonas
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG
The real HBP number is closer to 1,900. Among active pitchers they hit 1,893 batters last season. So you should increase that entry for the best realism although it wont much affect things like HR that you mention.
Maybe I'll do another 200 year run over the weekend and report back. I was thinking about tweaking the league totals a little bit to try and prevent 1000+ career HR guys (I had 2) and 17 more that had broken Aaron's record.
domonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:00 AM   #42
domonas
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW
This is a superb piece of work. As Eugene says this suggests that the default settings are pretty good. Is there any chance that someone could host the league history? I'd love to take a look at it.
If someone were willing to host, I wouldn't mind taking the time to upload. but remember, the league file size is huge.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:04 AM   #43
domonas
Minors (Double A)

I'll take some suggestions as what to do next in terms of tweaking settings and I'll let the league run over the weekend. Couple things I had in mind were

1. edit HBP settings.
2. change pitcher aging speed modifyer (any suggestions on what this number should be?)
3. go with a 30 team league (no minors, that would take too long) to more closely resemble present day MLB league structure.
4. tweak the HOF settings to make it just a little more difficult to get in for hitters. i think my numbers for pitching is pretty decent.

Anything else?
Old 06-09-2006, 08:13 AM   #44
redmarkYankees
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by domonas
2. change pitcher aging speed modifyer (any suggestions on what this number should be?)
I've lowered this to 0.900, but with no noticeable improvement. I don't think ageing appears to be the problem for pitchers, because the AI is making odd decisions regarding pitching roles or viability regardless of any real ageing/decline. I've seen numerous Cy Young calibre SPs retire at 29 in my historical tests (in my last, Cy Young himself retired even younger, after just 2 seasons). If you check the ratings history of the SPs, do they show any - even slight - decline in ratings just before being demoted/made into relievers? Maybe in 'stuff', particularly.

Last edited by redmarkYankees; 06-09-2006 at 08:14 AM.
redmarkYankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #45
domonas
Minors (Double A)

I've compressed the entire league into 100 megs. I can upload to a file server if you want... someone just has to tell me what web site to use that'll take 100 megs.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:59 AM   #46
fauteuil7
Major Leagues

Quote:
"Very High Detail"

Remember, I don't have any minors and 50 players max on each team (24 teams)
That's awesome...I expected the files to be much bigger with that level of detail. This side of the game has definately been improved ten-fold.
fauteuil7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:19 AM   #47
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

What would you say was the total time the game was simming? I'm wondering how long it took for you to do this.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:29 AM   #48
domonas
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015
What would you say was the total time the game was simming? I'm wondering how long it took for you to do this.
It was over 3 days. But how many total hours is hard to say because I would set it to run, leave and do some work, then come back a couple hours later and 50 years would be done. It did get slower with each progressive 50 years as the league file would get larger and larger.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:50 AM   #49
fauteuil7
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmarkYankees
I've seen numerous Cy Young calibre SPs retire at 29 in my historical tests (in my last, Cy Young himself retired even younger, after just 2 seasons).
I ran about 60 years of a historical sim and saw that Babe Ruth was a middle reliever and never got much of a chance, so I decided to hold off on more historical simming until there's a better pitcher import algorythm (or whatever; that's me trying to sound half-way intelligent) with regards for roles.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:17 PM   #50
Dagrims
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauteuil7
I ran about 60 years of a historical sim and saw that Babe Ruth was a middle reliever and never got much of a chance, so I decided to hold off on more historical simming until there's a better pitcher import algorythm (or whatever; that's me trying to sound half-way intelligent) with regards for roles.
I used the Arod/Garlon database and Ruth imported as an outfielder. He has well over 600 homeruns, twice as much as the second place hitter on the career list.

Sam Crawford had the career homerun mark set before Babe broke it, with 180+. He was the Babe of the deadball era, with a number of years with 20+ homeruns.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:43 PM   #51
fauteuil7
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagrims
I used the Arod/Garlon database and Ruth imported as an outfielder. He has well over 600 homeruns, twice as much as the second place hitter on the career list.

Sam Crawford had the career homerun mark set before Babe broke it, with 180+. He was the Babe of the deadball era, with a number of years with 20+ homeruns.
When you've got the game in front of you again I'd like to know what The Babe's pitching stats were like. That was most disappointing to me.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #52
redmarkYankees
All Star Starter

There are a few too many things I don't like about the Arod/Garlon DB, I'm afraid (sorry, guys). One of them is that Babe Ruth imports as a hitter in 1915 and George Ruth as a pitcher in 1915. I wonder what his stats are against himself?
Old 06-09-2006, 04:02 PM   #53
redmarkYankees
All Star Starter

Quote:
I'm working on some tests, I don't think the pitcher import algorithm itself is necessarily at fault.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:08 PM   #54
fauteuil7
Major Leagues

Possibly not...looking over at some of the other posts, it seems like there are more problems with the pitching use AI in general.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:14 PM   #55
redmarkYankees
All Star Starter

Quote:
Possibly not...looking over at some of the other posts, it seems like there are more problems with the pitching use AI in general.
I think there are problems with pitching (in historical leagues), but that the cause is not necessarily with the import algorithm.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:55 PM   #56
CalvinHobbes
Major Leagues

Quote:
Fictional players. majors, 2 sub-leagues, each with 3 divisions with 4 teams (24 total teams).
Start year: 2006
End year: 2205
25 Man active roster
50 Man reserve
No minors
No other leagues
Complete coaching and scouting
Create hidden characters ON
All modifiers set at 1.000
Half with original game, half with the newest patch
Domonas, just wondering how you set it to a 50 man reserve roster. I tried the same thing. The Active roster was set to 24, the expanded rosters to 35, no minors and I changed the default 40 man roster to 50, hoping that would limit the amount of players on the reserve team. I don't want 200, which I think is what Markus said would be the max. But when I started the league, that rule was 'disabled'. I'm worried that those teams will get huge!

Thanks.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:07 PM   #57
Dagrims
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmarkYankees
There are a few too many things I don't like about the Arod/Garlon DB, I'm afraid (sorry, guys). One of them is that Babe Ruth imports as a hitter in 1915 and George Ruth as a pitcher in 1915. I wonder what his stats are against himself?
Zoinks! I never even noticed that until now. He went 112-165 as a pitcher with 29 saves, 21 in one season when he was the closer (granted, a closer with 133 IP in 56 appearances). in 1923 he threw 49 wild pitches. I'll have to remember to delete George Ruth before he gets drafted next time I run a historical league.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:17 AM   #58
discodude5
Major Leagues

domonas, thank you for testing league totals and seeing how they are in the new game, I've been doing some tests of my own and wanted to share what I have found with you.

I remember SkyDog did extensive testing last year and found changing league totals to make the stats harder to keep realistic, he changed the creation modifiers to get better stats. This year with the league totals modifier there could be different ways to get stats we like, maybe a combo of different settings.

Some of my first test leagues without changing league totals or batter/pitcher aging I found too many players playing great into their mid 40's and putting up career totals in HR of over 1100 and pitchers getting too many strikeouts as well.
I ran a 70 year test on a 16 team fictional league with full minors and dh.
I turned injuries off to see what the max stats would be.
amateur draft 25 rounds
the only settings I changed were:
Batter aging 2.300, Batter development 1.200, Pitcher aging 1.700, Pitcher development 1.200
In the league totals I did'nt change any of the default totals but did change the modifiers in the major league only for HR to .900, Strikeouts to .900 and BABIP to .285

Here's what I got: listing #1, #10 unless otherwise noted
Season-batting
avg. .392, .373
Total bases 437, 408
2B 74,61
3b 24, 16
HR 60, 52 (29 players had 50 hr in a season)

Career
avg. .335, .319
TB 7338, 6264
2b 884, 768
3b 180, 133
HR 724, 680 (#2), 631 (39 had 500 and 11 with 600)
hits 4172, 3675 (56 had 3000 hits)

Season-pitching
era 1.38, 2.01
wins 30, 26
sv 54, 51
cg 22, 19
k's 330, 310 (13 had 300)

Career
era 2.31, 2.80 (#2), 3.32
wins 371, 336 (#2), 305 (11 300 game winners)
sv 757, 630 (#2), 433
k's 4540, 3419

Overall the league was very consistant from year to year, there would be small increases in avg and era for a few years then pitching would be better for a few years.

one concern I have is the complete games. I have the setting to low in the general tendencies, I've tried tests with very low but then starters were only pitching 4 innings. There is no endurance creation modifer like 6.5 so I'm not sure what to do. How have you found them in your tests?
discodude5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:19 AM   #59
Jabs
Minors (Double A)

This is great work domonas....thank you for all the hard work and thought that has gone into this.

One thing I thought of while looking throught the age distibution was the lack of minor leagues. Does anyone think that adding minor leagues to this 200 year sim would change the age distribution considerably since there would be somewhere for teams to stash their young players (or older players that are in decline)? I'm not sure how the AI handles the reserve rosters, but am curious to see what kind of distribution there would be with a full minor league system after 200 years.
Jabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:33 AM   #60
domonas
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinHobbes
Domonas, just wondering how you set it to a 50 man reserve roster. I tried the same thing. The Active roster was set to 24, the expanded rosters to 35, no minors and I changed the default 40 man roster to 50, hoping that would limit the amount of players on the reserve team. I don't want 200, which I think is what Markus said would be the max. But when I started the league, that rule was 'disabled'. I'm worried that those teams will get huge!

Thanks.
I saw the same thing as well (the disabled thing), but it didn't seem to have an effect on team size (50 max). I didn't check every season, but when I did, no team had more than 50 players.