Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Ugh! Still stopping and starting.....

It's May and once again I'm wasting all kinds of time starting and stopping, stopping and starting. Do this with every new version. Thought I had the perfect league, but as noted in another post, erasing all history backfired on me. No going forward from that, so I scrapped that league.

Now I have two leagues formed and I'm trying to determine which one to play.

Both are random debut leagues

The first is a 28 team league formed in 2013. Setup like the MLB of the mid 80's, but the NL has 14 teams just like the AL. I've completed one season with this league and I'm currently approaching the end of May in the second season. 3 year recalc with development on, very high fatigue and no injuries. My intentions with this league was to find out if recalc in all it's meanness combined with very high fatigue was enough of a burden in themselves to make injuries a not needed. This league will use 2013 as its every year.

The second league I created last night and played about a week or so. It's a smaller 12 team, one subleague setup with no divisions. Started this league in 1952 and will let the league proceed statistically through history until it reaches the 80's or maybe as far along as 1992. I have pitching stamina set to normal, use of relievers set to normal and use of closers set to very often. I will probably use these setting throughout, but at some point I may increase use of relievers to often. This league is setup to use the only the OOTP development engine. Recalc is turned off.

The second league is going back to my roots. I've always been partial to smaller leagues. The first league is large, but it's fun having an all-star game. Fun watching the two subleagues compete in the World Series. I like having more players, but with the smaller league I have an easier time getting to know the individual teams. The 2013 bigger league is wild because there are so many team home runs.

Right now, I'm in that play a few games of one and then think the other is the one, so I play a few of it. Need to decide. I know this is me rambling and none of you offered my couch for therapy, but if you have any thoughts, I would love to hear them.

Last edited by David Watts; 05-09-2019 at 10:37 AM.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Try Perfect Team. You'll never go back to vanilla OOTPB.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:00 PM   #3
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Try Perfect Team. You'll never go back to vanilla OOTPB.
I tried it with 19 and didn't enjoy it at all. Didn't like how players didn't age. Could never figure out why players would all of a sudden turn to pus. Have no interest in spending real money, so knowing the only pitchers available to me were good in real life but crud against all-star lineups, was headache inducing. Felt like I was playing Farmville or one of those other Facebook games. I was kind of let down that I couldn't create energy drinks or vitamins to give my players super powers or create a mystery weapon to derail my opponents success Not being able to quit also became a issue, as I felt guilty about abandoning my team. So, when 20 came out, I promised myself I wouldn't dare sign in and create a new perfect team.

Perfect team did make me curious about online leagues though. I could see how they would be a blast.

Last edited by David Watts; 05-09-2019 at 12:12 PM.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:51 PM   #4
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Alternate weeks with each league.
No rule that says you have run one league.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:04 PM   #5
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
Alternate weeks with each league.
No rule that says you have run one league.
What I have found with this approach is that eventually one league takes over in your mind and you just can't step away from it. Leaving the others languishing for long periods of time. But that's okay. Sometimes you have to date lots of different people before settling on "the one."
(As a twice divorced man with no intention to ever do that again- who chooses OOTP over dating any day- I'm not really sure why that was the analogy that sprung to mind.)
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:34 PM   #6
stevem810
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I tried it with 19 and didn't enjoy it at all. Didn't like how players didn't age. Could never figure out why players would all of a sudden turn to pus. Have no interest in spending real money, so knowing the only pitchers available to me were good in real life but crud against all-star lineups, was headache inducing. Felt like I was playing Farmville or one of those other Facebook games. I was kind of let down that I couldn't create energy drinks or vitamins to give my players super powers or create a mystery weapon to derail my opponents success Not being able to quit also became a issue, as I felt guilty about abandoning my team. So, when 20 came out, I promised myself I wouldn't dare sign in and create a new perfect team.

Perfect team did make me curious about online leagues though. I could see how they would be a blast.
I've done all three. Completely different.

The on-line leagues are a lot of fun because you get to know the other GM's. I've had one franchise in a league for 40 seasons.

I enjoy a solo league, too. Half the fun is setting up. Franchise locations, era of your choice, uni's, logo's, caps. It gets very personal and the pace is completely under your control.

PT was a ton of fun the first few months. Ultimately, not for me, either. On-line league(s) and solo suit me perfectly.
stevem810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:39 AM   #7
Reed
All Star Starter

Well as others said, do both for now.
Myself, I would do a combination of both using what I like in both. In your case, maybe 2 leagues with 6 or 8 teams each and using 2013 as a basis. That way you could have your home runs, World Series, all star game, and small enough to enough to monitor all the players.
Reed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:23 PM   #8
Ratbelly
Minors (Double A)

While PT is a fun diversion, nowhere near as fun as all of the activities you can immerse yourself in a baseball world in solo play.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:02 PM   #9
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

yep, play 'em both. i've got three going .... one from OOTP19, one all-time quicksrart from 20, and a 3rd (also from 20) that's 1871 onward - that i'm up to 1886 ..... play one month (of sims) when i do play which is seldom anymore due to A variety of circumstances. then when i play again it'll be the next one. it's kept my interest when it was very lacking for a great while. once in a while i'll get an idea how alter one of them and i'll jot that down on a notepad so i'll remember to look at it when i get back to the game. lately - more notes than playing tho .... nothing wrong with keeping more than one game alive and functioning.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #10
Pirates
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post

I 100% agree with you.
For older players (like myself), I too am not interested in playing a game against random unknown people, who I really don't care about.

OOTP lets me play against the teams, I grew up watching. I am able to re-live my childhood through this game.
Pirates is offline   Reply With Quote