Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 6 Available

FHM 6 Available Now!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2019, 06:36 PM   #41
Westheim
Hall Of Famer
 
Westheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,602
Thanks: 2,295
Thanked 4,708x in 2,696 posts
I take from this thread that everything I do in OOTP is wrong, has always been wrong, and will always be wrong...
__________________
Portland Raccoons, 56 years of excell-.... of baseball: Furballs here!
1983 * 1989 * 1991 * 1992 * 1993 * 1995 * 1996 * 2010 * 2017 * 2018 * 2019 * 2026 * 2028
1 OSANAI
: 2 POWELL : 8 REECE : 10 BROWN : 15 HALL : 28 CASAS : 32 WEST : 39 TONER : 46 SAITO

Resident Mets Cynic



Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
4 thanks for this post:
gemini615 (09-21-2019), PocketsAintFull (09-24-2019), QuantaCondor (09-21-2019), RunninYakAngler (09-22-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 07:00 PM   #42
mcdog512
All Star Starter
 
mcdog512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Alexander Peter Grammas (April 3, 1926 – September 13, 2019)
Posts: 1,734
Thanks: 227
Thanked 1,075x in 699 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
I take from this thread that everything I do in OOTP is wrong, has always been wrong, and will always be wrong...

Nah, we're here to have fun....some people find fun in different ways. F'ing around in the auction house sounds like a bad use of my limited time.
__________________


mcdog512 is online now   Reply With Quote
3 thanks for this post:
ElementalKnight (09-22-2019), old timer (09-21-2019), SlinkyTWF (09-23-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 11:43 PM   #43
neugey
Major Leagues
 
neugey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 460
Blog Entries: 39
Thanks: 510
Thanked 206x in 127 posts
My goodness that is quite a god squad for a F2P team. If I had flipping skill like that I'd probably take my talents to Wall Street.
__________________
Main Team:



F2P Dynasty Team OOTP 20 PT - League View Senators:



F2P Dynasty Team - OOTP 20 PT - Rosenblatt Rockets

neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
ElementalKnight (09-22-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 01:24 AM   #44
Argonaut
All Star Reserve
 
Argonaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 670
Thanks: 326
Thanked 462x in 279 posts
I have the Gold Saucer music playing in my head thanks to this thread. Man, that game was a classic.

I got a chance to participate in some Auction House madness for the 1st time this Collection Monday. I definitely believe there's some serious PP to be made if you're flipping mission pieces. Good on you for assembling an elite team by doing so.

If you're the guy that continuously lists Diamond A-Rod and Cordero for ~40k PP though, I take back my kind words!
Argonaut is online now   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
ElementalKnight (09-22-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 03:08 AM   #45
ElementalKnight
Minors (Single A)
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 79
Thanks: 377
Thanked 65x in 33 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
I take from this thread that everything I do in OOTP is wrong, has always been wrong, and will always be wrong...
Haha, it's only right or wrong relative to what your goals are. Like others have said, there are lots of ways to play this game, and that's something really cool about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
I have the Gold Saucer music playing in my head thanks to this thread. Man, that game was a classic.

I got a chance to participate in some Auction House madness for the 1st time this Collection Monday. I definitely believe there's some serious PP to be made if you're flipping mission pieces. Good on you for assembling an elite team by doing so.

If you're the guy that continuously lists Diamond A-Rod and Cordero for ~40k PP though, I take back my kind words!
You should be thankful to A-Rod guy, because I would have had Cordero up at 50k perpetually if not for them

If you liked FF7, you might like my fictional league. I'll post the team names, divisions, and such in here a bit later.
__________________
ElementalKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:58 AM   #46
ElementalKnight
Minors (Single A)
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 79
Thanks: 377
Thanked 65x in 33 posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ERcYlxWx8U

Have at it!
__________________
ElementalKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
4 thanks for this post:
dancariaz (09-22-2019), Magus978 (09-22-2019), One Great Matrix (09-24-2019), PetGoneBad (10-01-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 07:17 AM   #47
ElementalKnight
Minors (Single A)
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 79
Thanks: 377
Thanked 65x in 33 posts
Some random things about me: I was a theoretical math undergrad. I went to law school and worked as a lawyer for four years. I went back to school and got a Master of Environmental Management degree, and now I'm a PhD student in environmental studies studying environmental ethics and policy, particularly related to geoengineering.

Here are the divisions from my Final Fantasy + World of Warcraft fictional league:




One subleague for FF teams, with divisions for 7, 10, 12, and 13. One subleague for WoW teams, based more on geography and expansions. Each team has five minor league teams related in theme to their big league team. First round draft picks for each team are renamed after major characters from that game and/or place. The customizability of OOTP is what drew me in in the first place.
__________________
ElementalKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
5 thanks for this post:
dbqs (09-25-2019), Magus978 (09-22-2019), Maxfire5 (09-22-2019), One Great Matrix (09-24-2019), Renfro (09-23-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 10:23 AM   #48
BigRed75
All Star Starter
 
BigRed75's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,744
Thanks: 94
Thanked 864x in 570 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
If you're the guy that continuously lists Diamond A-Rod and Cordero for ~40k PP though, I take back my kind words!
Save your nasty words for the rubes who buy the cards at the inflated prices and wreck the averages...
__________________
"To me, you seem to be objecting to letting people have fun. Don't object to letting people have fun." - Westheim

"People just need to play PT and stop worrying about other's teams." - Willie M






My son's team:
BigRed75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:25 AM   #49
Argonaut
All Star Reserve
 
Argonaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 670
Thanks: 326
Thanked 462x in 279 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed75 View Post
Save your nasty words for the rubes who buy the cards at the inflated prices and wreck the averages...
I got my Cordero for 25k which I'm glad for after reading this thread. Definitely learned to quickly buy any reasonably priced mission pieces before the snipers get them!
Argonaut is online now   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
ElementalKnight (09-22-2019), One Great Matrix (09-24-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 10:34 AM   #50
ElementalKnight
Minors (Single A)
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 79
Thanks: 377
Thanked 65x in 33 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed75 View Post
Save your nasty words for the rubes who buy the cards at the inflated prices and wreck the averages...
It seems like they've done something recently that makes the last 7 price less responsive to outlier purchases. That only helps me when it comes to flipping collection pieces. I love seeing low last 7 prices on pieces I know will move for much more. I'm sure they'll change this eventually, but it's great for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
I got my Cordero for 25k which I'm glad for after reading this thread. Definitely learned to quickly buy any reasonably priced mission pieces before the snipers get them!
Congrats to you! I certainly don't catch everything. But I definitely think it's wise to snatch a collection piece up quickly if it's at a price you're willing to pay.
__________________
ElementalKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:56 AM   #51
Orcin
Hall Of Famer
 
Orcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,110
Thanks: 4,248
Thanked 7,968x in 3,878 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalKnight View Post
I surrender. I did not watch every page, so I can't verify that you never spent money. BUT, after watching many, many pages of transactions, I believe your claims. I apologize for my skeptical attitude.

I could not have done what you did. First of all, I sleep more than 4-5 hours per night. I spend time doing other things, like mowing my yard and watching sports, and I don't have the game in front of me while I do them. I can't execute 50 activities at one time, which you obviously can. I don't have the patience to bid 5pp on literally every iron card listed all day long and then sell them for 15pp until I accumulate enough to start buying bronze. You had more transactions in March and April than I have total today.

I wouldn't have believed that, THIS WEEK, you could buy a 2014 HH Kluber card for 18K and sell it 4 hours later for 31K. I did not believe that the market was that wild, but now I do.

Missions certainly helped you because you likely had all of the cards to complete the White Sox missions several times. Selling the extras brought in enough points to move you into speculating on historical diamonds and perfects. It was still amazing to see you buying dozens of expensive cards within minutes and selling dozens at the same time. There must have been profit there, but frankly even tracking it was beyond my patience level.

I tip my hat to you and agree that your skills are unique. I couldn't do it, and - please don't take this the wrong way - I wouldn't want to do it.

To the people that say he should take his skills to the stock market, he isn't playing against machines here. The stock market is not filled with fools. Computers control trading there. Yes, he could make money as a day trader, but he could just as easily hold three online jobs at the same time and make more. Hell, he could probably do the day trading too.
__________________


My Fictional Dynasty: Orcin's Story ; The Sequel: Orcin Returns ; The Conclusion: Orcin's Brave New World

Last edited by Orcin; 09-22-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
4 thanks for this post:
ElementalKnight (09-22-2019), Maxfire5 (09-22-2019), old timer (09-22-2019), Renfro (09-23-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 12:23 PM   #52
dkgo
All Star Reserve
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 870
Thanks: 29
Thanked 542x in 298 posts
the stock market is completely different. Its not like you can find shares of home depot for 50% off just by looking at the right time lol.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
ElementalKnight (09-22-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 12:30 PM   #53
QuantaCondor
Minors (Triple A)
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 298
Thanks: 189
Thanked 211x in 119 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
To the people that say he should take his skills to the stock market, he isn't playing against machines here. The stock market is not filled with fools. Computers control trading there. Yes, he could make money as a day trader, but he could just as easily hold three online jobs at the same time and make more. Hell, he could probably do the day trading too.
MMOs are a fundamentally different breed of economy though, filled with market efficiencies because making money isn't the primary objective of the markets for most people, and the number of traders who have more information than the public is very small. In stocks/crypto/whatever, people ONLY care about making money, so it's a very different world. It'd be like spending an entire day trying to buy irons for 13 PP and selling it for 15 PP, competing against a thousand others who are doing the same thing. But even then you're hopeless because half of those thousands of traders have another thousand computers monitoring every PT game at once, constantly determining if they could try to sell a few of those irons for 16 or 17 PP instead.

That doesn't mean the dedication here isn't impressive or skillful. It's just a "if you put in the time, it's there for you" kind of world, rather than "if you put in the time AND have a dozen other advantages, you could make 1% in a week" world.
__________________




QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
ElementalKnight (09-22-2019), Maxfire5 (09-23-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #54
ElementalKnight
Minors (Single A)
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 79
Thanks: 377
Thanked 65x in 33 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I surrender. I did not watch every page, so I can't verify that you never spent money. BUT, after watching many, many pages of transactions, I believe your claims. I apologize for my skeptical attitude.

I could not have done what you did. First of all, I sleep more than 4-5 hours per night. I spend time doing other things, like mowing my yard and watching sports, and I don't have the game in front of me while I do them. I can't execute 50 activities at one time, which you obviously can. I don't have the patience to bid 5pp on literally every iron card listed all day long and then sell them for 15pp until I accumulate enough to start buying bronze. You had more transactions in March and April than I have total today.

I wouldn't have believed that, THIS WEEK, you could buy a 2014 HH Kluber card for 18K and sell it 4 hours later for 31K. I did not believe that the market was that wild, but now I do.

Missions certainly helped you because you likely had all of the cards to complete the White Sox missions several times. Selling the extras brought in enough points to move you into speculating on historical diamonds and perfects. It was still amazing to see you buying dozens of expensive cards within minutes and selling dozens at the same time. There must have been profit there, but frankly even tracking it was beyond my patience level.

I tip my hat to you and agree that your skills are unique. I couldn't do it, and - please don't take this the wrong way - I wouldn't want to do it.

To the people that say he should take his skills to the stock market, he isn't playing against machines here. The stock market is not filled with fools. Computers control trading there. Yes, he could make money as a day trader, but he could just as easily hold three online jobs at the same time and make more. Hell, he could probably do the day trading too.
Thanks for the kind words, Orcin, and no worries at all. I completely understand anyone being skeptical here.

I also don't blame anyone else for not wanting to do this sort of thing. Academic reading and writing has me in front of the computer a lot, and my brain is weird, so it works out.

I have no idea what it's actually called, but I call it "floorscraping" when I bid on things like irons at the minimum. I liked the idea of it because it's zero risk and I could use small amounts of residual PP to do it. It turned out not to be particularly lucrative, but it added a ton of entries to the transaction history, so it's a little deceptive in the video. Historical silvers carried the day early on. In addition to my searches, early on I definitely did a few sweeps each day of the sum total of historical silvers looking for good deals.

The market is way wilder than most people understand. I went back and found my favorite set of transactions of all time, because it made me legit laugh out loud when it happened. This is gold Faber:



I needed Faber at that point, and he more than paid for himself in literally one minute. That first day of collections is some of craziest stuff I've ever seen in online markets. It was super fun.

When the White Sox missions launched, I think I was like two short on basically all the missions. I got Walsh done that first night, and I flipped enough pieces to complete those missions several times over. Being a White Sox fan in real life helped, because I had better coverage for them than I had for most teams.

Everyone's right about how the real stock market is different. That's never held any interest for me.

Part of why I've chosen to talk about this is to show that there really are a lot of market opportunities out there if you're interested. But no one should feel like they're missing out if doing this sort of thing isn't fun for them.
__________________
ElementalKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
8 thanks for this post:
dancariaz (09-22-2019), justpatrick (09-23-2019), Magus978 (09-22-2019), Maxfire5 (09-23-2019), old timer (09-22-2019), Orcin (09-22-2019), QuantaCondor (09-22-2019), Renfro (09-23-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 04:03 PM   #55
Magus978
All Star Starter
 
Magus978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,054
Thanks: 475
Thanked 561x in 397 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalKnight View Post
Some random things about me: I was a theoretical math undergrad. I went to law school and worked as a lawyer for four years. I went back to school and got a Master of Environmental Management degree, and now I'm a PhD student in environmental studies studying environmental ethics and policy, particularly related to geoengineering.

Here are the divisions from my Final Fantasy + World of Warcraft fictional league:




One subleague for FF teams, with divisions for 7, 10, 12, and 13. One subleague for WoW teams, based more on geography and expansions. Each team has five minor league teams related in theme to their big league team. First round draft picks for each team are renamed after major characters from that game and/or place. The customizability of OOTP is what drew me in in the first place.
Needs more teams from the earlier Final Fantasy games. Where are my Baron Red Wings?
__________________



The New York Patriots - An "Our League" F2P Experiment!

Curses are meant to be broken.
Magus978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
ElementalKnight (09-22-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 04:08 PM   #56
ElementalKnight
Minors (Single A)
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 79
Thanks: 377
Thanked 65x in 33 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus978 View Post
Needs more teams from the earlier Final Fantasy games. Where are my Baron Red Wings?
Haha, 4 and 6 are great games, but I'm really partial to the worlds and geography of some of the later games. 12 gets some serious, justifiable criticism, but I adore the locations, names, and landscapes. I should put some time into thinking about what the teams in an FF4 division and FF6 division would look like. The Baron Red Wings would definitely be in there
__________________
ElementalKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Magus978 (09-22-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 06:06 PM   #57
Dogberry99
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Wichita Falls, TX
Posts: 1,004
Thanks: 698
Thanked 438x in 311 posts
What you call floorscraping has often crossed my mind as a viable means to build up points with minimal risk over time. This is how my primary collection team has amassed a surprising amount of its live cards even...

However, the biggest reason I never went for this strategy (aside from time) is that my computer would melt from the continual restarts this game and its memory leaks would force upon me. The market itself isn't an issue, but the interactive roster page... Well, let's just say it doesn't stay interactive for as long as I'd like
__________________
"And, Masters, do not forget to specify, when time and place shall serve, that I am an [censored]." (Much Ado About Nothing 5.1.255-256)

Open Offense - Rangers Pitching F2P Theme Team

Collection Rewards (Cards and Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
ElementalKnight (09-23-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 06:11 PM   #58
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,323
Thanks: 223
Thanked 734x in 520 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalKnight View Post
Some random things about me: I was a theoretical math undergrad. I went to law school and worked as a lawyer for four years. I went back to school and got a Master of Environmental Management degree, and now I'm a PhD student in environmental studies studying environmental ethics and policy, particularly related to geoengineering.

Here are the divisions from my Final Fantasy + World of Warcraft fictional league:




One subleague for FF teams, with divisions for 7, 10, 12, and 13. One subleague for WoW teams, based more on geography and expansions. Each team has five minor league teams related in theme to their big league team. First round draft picks for each team are renamed after major characters from that game and/or place. The customizability of OOTP is what drew me in in the first place.
Holy cow. That’s awesome. Do you play Hearthstone? For Wow there are auction mods which really help making gold. Too bad they don’t have that for this game.
__________________




OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
ElementalKnight (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 04:01 AM   #59
ElementalKnight
Minors (Single A)
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 79
Thanks: 377
Thanked 65x in 33 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
What you call floorscraping has often crossed my mind as a viable means to build up points with minimal risk over time. This is how my primary collection team has amassed a surprising amount of its live cards even...

However, the biggest reason I never went for this strategy (aside from time) is that my computer would melt from the continual restarts this game and its memory leaks would force upon me. The market itself isn't an issue, but the interactive roster page... Well, let's just say it doesn't stay interactive for as long as I'd like
I have no doubt that this is a viable strategy for some people, and the zero risk aspect really is compelling. But I'm with you on the slowdown. I don't have nearly as many cards as some people, but when I first started playing, auction and roster stuff was lightning quick. Now, it takes 5–10 seconds to cancel an auction. I hope they prioritize optimizing the game for those with many cards, because it's been another deterrent to me having a lot of listings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Holy cow. That’s awesome. Do you play Hearthstone? For Wow there are auction mods which really help making gold. Too bad they don’t have that for this game.
Thanks! I played Hearthstone actively from late in the beta until Kobolds and Catacombs or so. Loved the game. I played mostly Rogue (which I also played in WoW) and some Shaman. I still pop in every so often to play the single player stuff. I've really liked what they've done since and including Dungeon Run. I also still watch Kripp streams from time to time. I assume you play? What do you like?

If this game had TradeSkillMaster, you'd all be doomed, just saying What I did in WoW was arguably more absurd than what I've done here. I basically took over and monopolized the jewelcrafting industry on my server (as Alliance on a Horde-dominated PvP server), and I farmed all my materials and recipes as well. I played the margins a lot more there. My chief market rival had a meltdown where he told me he was an army vet who was going to find out where I lived and beat me. That's when I really knew I had won
__________________
ElementalKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:10 PM   #60
Stick50
Minors (Single A)
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 55
Thanks: 4
Thanked 4x in 3 posts
Ok so one of the basic strategies here is... "buy low/sell hi"... simple enough right

So here are my 2 questions...

1- With... 600+?? live cards (and 2k plus cards total?) how in the world are you able to identify a "good deal" that quickly? Do you have all the ... current... prices memorized?

2- How many cards do you have any any given time? I often find myself selling off 40's and 50's as they tend to clog things up. This is obviously the wrong way to do things (by me)
__________________
Stick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:01 AM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments