Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the 2018 version of FHM.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:51 AM   #1
vtmx
All Star Reserve

I don't get this game sometimes

This is gonna be a long, ranty post. I've been an avid FHM player eversince the second game came out way back when, and I've bought every single issue since. Yet, even after all those years, the game does things I cannot understand whatsoever, and they still manage to surprise me every time.

I've just finished up my first season, the current in-game date in 23 July 2019. This means that I'm in the middle of my first proper free agency period, and some of the signings just don't make any sense. I could understand Dmitrij Jaškin or Ben Chiarot signing in the KHL instead of the NHL, that's a fairly realistic move in my opinion. But William Karlsson? Andre Burakovsky? Both of those guys put up 40+ points in the NHL during the 2018/19 season in my game, why would they then go on to sign in Russia? It just makes no sense to me. The free agents in game seem to go to whichever club throws the most money at them first, instead of preferring to play in the most prestigious league in the entire world.

One thing that I also find frustrating is just how easily teams give up their key players during the season. A guy in the Czech Extraliga is leading his team's scoring with 15 points in the first 8 games of the season? Let's ship him off to a much inferior league in Belarus for scraps and sign a 37-year old free agent to take his place! A young, up-and-coming goalie lead his team to a league title? Off to Norway he goes when July rolls around! Why does this happen? If a player is expected to play a key role within a club, I'd expect him to be untouchable, however, the teams in the game just seem to entertain any offer that comes along.

The most egregious of all, however, is how the game treats prospects on European clubs. They often get sent to worse leagues too, and often for ridiculously low amounts of money. Why would an SHL team send its most promising prospect, a dude who got drafted in the second round that year, to a small Czech club? And why would a Czech team send a very good 18-year old defenseman to England? Or Korea? Freaking Korea? All of these examples are based on real things I've seen happen over my first season in the game, I'm not making them up.

Anyway, even though these issues are a bit annoying to deal with and they break my immersion sometimes, FHM is still the best hockey manager game around and I love it to death. I just with the developers would somehow fix these issues, which have been present in the game since FHM2.

Oh yeah, and also -- please have a look at the whole "players changing their national team allegiance" thing as well. Joe Thornton wanting to play for the US after representing Canada on the international stage numerous times is not very realistic, is it?

Sorry for any typos.

EDIT: One more thing. The KHL is a mess, particularily the waiver system. I've had a team (Astana) pick up 7 or 8 goalies through waivers in a single season, all of them starter quality, and then send them down to the minors and not play any of them during the season. It got so bad that I resorted to starting my games on July 1 every time and disabiling the waivers in that league.

Last edited by vtmx; 07-19-2019 at 06:07 AM.
vtmx is offline   Reply With Quote