Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > Grand Championship League

Old 02-14-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
coljesep
All Star Reserve

USBA - Grand Championship Preview

The following preview was written by the USBA team representative.

The USBA is a competitive Promotion/Relegation for managers of all OOTP skill levels. Currently entering our 6th season we have had 5 different champions and 15 out of 32 teams have already spent at least 1 season in the Premier League. Originally modeled off of European soccer the USBA has strived to bring together the best ideas from the baseball world and the soccer world. This includes the in-season USBA cup modeled off of the FA-Cup and the FIFA World Cup and our own biannual World Cup featuring the top 16 baseball countries in the world. We also feature a merit-driven, merchandising heavy, and punishing financial model allowing successful teams to move up and forcing less successful teams to move back down. Another unique aspect of the USBA is a heavy reliance on International Amateur FA's for player entry and reliance on younger players in our lower leagues. Many players have made successful debuts at 19 or 20 years old and contributed to their teams. These changes from the norm give the USBA a feel and format that is genuinely unique in the OOTP world.

League Website: United States Baseball Association | An OOTP 14 Promotion/Relegation League

You can check out the USBA team by visiting: Home Page

Opening Statement: When doing the initial draft for any league, online or not, there are a few basic building blocks I tend to use; players that hit for average and high-powered bullpens. Both online leagues I’m in my team is tops in team average, bullpen ERA, and record. After those two things my next highest priority is then power and starting pitching ERA. Although this is a different type of draft from regular snake ones I’ve always done in OOTP, it didn’t take too long to figure out that value and bargain buys are the highest priority. I spent a few hours one day going through a LOT of players and just shortlisting the minimum players that could provide value and guys with good deals for their ratings/stats. Then I spent a few hours another day going through the shortlisted players to build a team, and got the team salary to $90 million exactly without meaning to, so it worked out perfectly.

Projected Starting Lineups

Vs. Right
1 R Daniel Frost CF
2 L William Williams 3B
3 L Manuel Encarnación 2B
4 L António Delgado LF
5 R Raúl Aguilar RF
6 R Augusto González 1B
7 R Bill Locke DH
8 L Brooks Ingram C
9 R Luis Pérez SS

Vs. Left
1 L William Williams 3B
2 R Daniel Frost CF
3 R Raúl Aguilar RF
4 R Augusto González 1B
5 R Bill Locke DH
6 R Shawn Griffin LF
7 L Manuel Encarnación 2B
8 L Brooks Ingram C
9 R Luis Pérez SS

Projected Rotation & Bullpen

Rotation

R Kent Reese
R José Ortíz
R Jeff Jones
L Alejandro González
R Jerry Britton

Bullpen

CL - Neil Puffer

MR - Clyde Williams
MR - Phil Mullins
MR - Mark Walden
MR - Louie Burns

5 Keys to Winning:

1. This team is built around getting the ball in play one way or another. With a loaded average-hitting offense and two massive sluggers, it could be a firework show.

2. The bullpen is built to weather some storms. If the starters can’t get it done, Mark Walden, Clyde Williams, Louie Burns and Gerald Smith can all eat some innings. Walden could end up as closer depending on how Neil Puffer does this season.

3. The Raúl Aguilar-Augusto González experiment. Those two guys could easily slam 40 dingers apiece this season. If they both get to 50 expect a top 5 offense. If neither can hit 30, this team is in trouble.

4. Kent Reese is a legit 1 on any team, but after that there are no obvious studs. While José Ortíz and Jeff Jones should do well, 4 and 5 could see different players there over the course of the season. Louie Burns and Gerald Smith provide excellent SP depth and options in case of struggles by any starter.

5. This team’s defense could be great, or mediocre. Defense is always an integral part of any team, especially if pitching is a priority as it is on this team. The key is 2B Manuel Encarnación, who is graded as average in that position. If he isn’t at least that, it could spell trouble for this staff.
coljesep is offline   Reply With Quote