Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:07 PM   #61
Tony M
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorseMoose View Post

edit: because it doesn't make sense to say "How to Fix the Major League Baseball". Got it.

I was adapting the phrase that was said to Shoeless regarding the 1919 WS because they tried to fix it Humour gun is obviously off-target today - my bad
Old 12-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #62
jaxmagicman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Retired defloration-maker living in Myrtle Beach, SC
Quote:

edit: because it doesn't make sense to say "How to Fix the Major League Baseball". Got it.
I am thinking he was using the word Fix as in FIX THE OUTCOME of the game.

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.
jaxmagicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #63
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony M View Post

I was adapting the phrase that was said to Shoeless regarding the 1919 WS because they tried to fix it Humour gun is obviously off-target today - my bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxmagicman View Post
I am thinking he was using the word Fix as in FIX THE OUTCOME of the game.
My bad, it's funny, on second read, I just thought you were being "Grammar Nazi" on me in that it should be "How to Fix Major League Baseball" not "How to Fix the Major League Baseball"

Last edited by MorseMoose; 12-16-2009 at 07:51 PM.
MorseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:37 PM   #64
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
Is the MLB more perfect than the NFL?
MorseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:16 PM   #65
Vinny P.
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyons View Post

You can't be traded to a school system in another state in return for a janitor and 500 textbooks, can you?
Stopped here! This is going into my hall of quotes!

I say the next expansion team should come from Mexico City. It is, after all, the largest city on the North American continent....And they have made bids in the past. No reason not to include that city. (Mexicans LOVE baseball. Perhaps more than Americans....)
Vinny P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:14 AM   #66
Jason Moyer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is the MLB more perfect than the NFL?
Well, it's a significantly less stupid sport, so it has one large inherent advantage.

"In 1973, the year I first ran for Congress, the House Committee on Interstate and Foreign Commerce concluded a year-long investigation that found--and I quote--'drug use exists...in all sports and levels of competition...In some instances, the danger of improper drug use--primarily amphetamines and anabolic steroids--can only be described as alarming'"
-- Henry Waxman
Jason Moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:45 AM   #67
Vinny P.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
Well, it's a significantly less stupid sport, so it has one large inherent advantage.

What are you talking about!? I think the NFL has sufficiently surpassed the MLB as most popular sport in America years ago. It is much better-balanced.....lol.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:51 AM   #68
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilianth View Post
I think the NFL has sufficiently surpassed the MLB as most popular sport in America years ago.
Depends on how you measure popular.
Le Grande Orange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:47 AM   #69
mlyons
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

What are you talking about!? I think the NFL has sufficiently surpassed the MLB as most popular sport in America years ago. It is much better-balanced.....lol.
"Reality" shows surpassed serious dramas in popularity on TV years ago too. That doesn't make them inherently less stupid.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #70
Jason Moyer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Hit Me Baby One More Time went 17x platinum, compared to 5x platinum for Revolver, which tells you about all you need to know about the value of most people's opinions.

"In 1973, the year I first ran for Congress, the House Committee on Interstate and Foreign Commerce concluded a year-long investigation that found--and I quote--'drug use exists...in all sports and levels of competition...In some instances, the danger of improper drug use--primarily amphetamines and anabolic steroids--can only be described as alarming'"
-- Henry Waxman
Jason Moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:06 PM   #71
Vinny P.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Depends on how you measure popular.
In terms of pure rating, the NFL playoffs score much higher than the MLB. Even the Super Bowl does much better than Game 7 or the World Series.

As far as youth sports, I read somewhere that more kids play football now, than baseball. It is certainly almost always must easier to get a backyard football game going than a sandlot baseball game.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:09 PM   #72
Vinny P.
Banned

Quote:
"Reality" shows surpassed serious dramas in popularity on TV years ago too. That doesn't make them inherently less stupid.
haha, this is all too damned true.

But at least the "fad" of "reality tv" has largely worn off. That only lasted for all of a few years at it's peak. Whereas, the dramas have been around forever. How many Law and Order spinoffs are there now? lol.

But that doesn;t apply to baseball or football anyway. Baseball has been around for 150 years (depeding on when you think it was invented) and football has been around and popular for about 70 years.

In terms of merchandise sales, I bet the NFL earns more than baseball. I dunno, I haven;t looked it up, but I would probably make that bet.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:11 PM   #73
Vinny P.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
Hit Me Baby One More Time went 17x platinum, compared to 5x platinum for Revolver, which tells you about all you need to know about the value of most people's opinions.
You can blame all those stupid teenage girls.....
Old 12-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #74
jmlima
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:

This has actually happened in Europe a few times already in soccer -- when teams don't feel their current leagues are serving their best interests, they just start new ones. ...
Care to provide an example of the above?

Last edited by jmlima; 12-26-2009 at 12:42 PM.
jmlima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #75
jmlima
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
In terms of merchandise sales, I bet the NFL earns more than baseball. I dunno, I haven;t looked it up, but I would probably make that bet.
It needs to, they have 16 games to make roughly the same as a baseball team in 162...

Football has surpassed Baseball popularity in nearly every rating you can think of.
jmlima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #76
mlyons
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
Care to provide an example of the above?
The English Premier League is the biggest one.