Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:10 AM   #1
Reed
All Star Starter

Random Debut questions

Can you make it so player can follow their real life arc?
For example, Ted Williams did not play in real life when he was 24-26 and retired when he was 42? Can I make a setting in Random Debut like I can in regular historical so that he will miss those 3 seasons and retire at age 42?
I tried a test league starting 1901 and In settings I had selected players miss season as in real life. At the end of 1901, 98% of the players were on the injured list since in real life they did not play in 1902.
And what about the setting for players retire as in history?
In random debut will the development engine automatically kick on or if you have that clicked off, will the game recalc the players ratings each year based on real stats for their corresponding age?
I am thinking about giving random a try but would like for it to basically follow the players real career as much as possible.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:00 AM   #2
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Can you make it so player can follow their real life arc?
For example, Ted Williams did not play in real life when he was 24-26 and retired when he was 42? Can I make a setting in Random Debut like I can in regular historical so that he will miss those 3 seasons and retire at age 42?
I tried a test league starting 1901 and In settings I had selected players miss season as in real life. At the end of 1901, 98% of the players were on the injured list since in real life they did not play in 1902.
And what about the setting for players retire as in history?
In random debut will the development engine automatically kick on or if you have that clicked off, will the game recalc the players ratings each year based on real stats for their corresponding age?
I am thinking about giving random a try but would like for it to basically follow the players real career as much as possible.
Miss seasons according to history and retire according to history will not work with random debut. So, Williams is going to be available during his 24-26 years. If you use recalc he may not be a stud during those years though. One year recalc will probably treat him the harshest. 3 year a little less and 5 year will be the most lenient.

Recalc in random really seems to do a good job in assuring guys retire close to when they did in real life.

I use a combo of recalc and player development in my random leagues. I'm a glutton for punishment so I actually set the talent change randomness to the max 200 as well. The combo of recalc and development will make sure guys that play past their recalc years, don't simply get recalced back to their final season over and over and over. This is huge for a guy like Sandy Koufax. Without the development engine he might have that 27-9 1.73 season till he's in his 40's. With the combo, I've had him continue to dominate and I've also had him decline and retire by his mid 30's. The combo also works great for the modern guys like Kershaw, David Price, Verlander etc. They can go either way when their recalc years come to a close.

In your post above, I see you started in 1901. This is just me and others may not agree, but I just can't play random debut in the deadball ERA or even the 20-30's. I simply can't get a Dave Kingman or a Richie Sexson and have him be a singles hitter. When the 20's roll around it gets strange because the game has to spread 937 home runs over an entire league, so you won't get a Babe Ruth 60 home run guy. Instead you get a bunch of 10-15 home run guys or less. Because of this, I tend to stick to 1947 and later for my leagues.

Another thing that I avoid, but I know others disagree with is, I won't use players from prior to 1901. I just don't like the way the players from the 1800's perform in random leagues, especially the pitchers.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #3
Reed
All Star Starter

Thanks for your reply. It does clear up a lot. My league start date will be 1901 but plan on only random players/rookies from 1907 to about 1985. I do not want to import players that played mostly prior to 1901 and I do not want to use players from the steroid era. Will probably use 3 year double weighted recalc.. I will set my stat&AI to 1974 each year just prior to opening day since I like the stats from that year.
Again, thanks you for your help. That info does help. Gives me something to work on this afternoon. Retirement is pretty nice as long as you and family are healthy.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:56 AM   #4
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Thanks for your reply. It does clear up a lot. My league start date will be 1901 but plan on only random players/rookies from 1907 to about 1985. I do not want to import players that played mostly prior to 1901 and I do not want to use players from the steroid era. Will probably use 3 year double weighted recalc.. I will set my stat&AI to 1974 each year just prior to opening day since I like the stats from that year.
Again, thanks you for your help. That info does help. Gives me something to work on this afternoon. Retirement is pretty nice as long as you and family are healthy.
I've used 74 in the past as well and it's a great year to use.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

If by chance you use free agency, please let me know if you see too many guys starting the season unsigned. I've begun using the reserve clause, because it was driving me nuts seeing really good players starting April as free agents often not signing till mid April or later. Then when they do sign it's always a 1 year deal and they end up doing the same thing again the next year. Often times the period from January 1st to opening day flies by with hardly a signing. Preseason to opening day is really dead in terms of free agents signings. I would love it if someone else would confirm that they are seeing this as well. If it's user error on my part, I would love to fix it.

As an example, in my current league before I switched to the reserve clause, a 28 year old Pete Rose was unemployed a week into the 94 season. He had a decent inaugural season in 93. Before switching over to the reserve clause, I ran a free agent draft. Phoenix nabbed Rose off the list and he hit number 2 in their lineup all season.

In the league I was playing prior to this one, Joe Mauer had a nice inaugural season, then remained unsigned for all of the second season. A team signed him for the third season and he a really nice season. When the 4th season rolled around, he was once again unsigned.