Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 08-26-2018, 07:00 AM   #1
sprague
All Star Starter

Start Date

I have never understood the reasons for only having 1 day to make rule changes for a league.

BUT
When you start a league, real world or fictional, you do not start on that date...thus you are stuck playing rules for 1 year that you might not want to play with. In a sense with a fictional league you have to just sim out one useless year, erase it all, only to start your league with the league rule settings you want. Should you not be able to set up your league as you wish right from day 1?
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
maikgianino
Minors (Double A)

Exactly my thoughts. I'm currently playing a whole first season to see if everything is correctly set up. Silly rule.

You can change stuff on July 1 but usually your first season starts in August lol
maikgianino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #3
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprague View Post
I have never understood the reasons for only having 1 day to make rule changes for a league.

BUT
When you start a league, real world or fictional, you do not start on that date...thus you are stuck playing rules for 1 year that you might not want to play with. In a sense with a fictional league you have to just sim out one useless year, erase it all, only to start your league with the league rule settings you want. Should you not be able to set up your league as you wish right from day 1?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maikgianino View Post
Exactly my thoughts. I'm currently playing a whole first season to see if everything is correctly set up. Silly rule.

You can change stuff on July 1 but usually your first season starts in August lol
Sebastian could speak more on this but he's busy writing code for the new version so I doubt he'll have time.

The simple answer is is the Database is only editable on July 1st because it just doesn't work correctly if it's constantly unlocked. So yes, only changes can be made on July 1st for that reason.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:50 PM   #4
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

A simple answer is nice, but at the end of the day this is the sort of thing that keeps me from purchasing the game. It defeats the purpose of "Custom" League when you can't customize it until it's a year old.

I have no interest in playing the 1st season of my custom league with someone else's idea of what "custom" should be. I would like the ability to customize everything from the get go.

Hopefully this changes for the next version of the game. FHM has grown a lot, but has a lot of growing to do still.

Keep up the good work team.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:04 PM   #5
maikgianino
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
Sebastian could speak more on this but he's busy writing code for the new version so I doubt he'll have time.

The simple answer is is the Database is only editable on July 1st because it just doesn't work correctly if it's constantly unlocked. So yes, only changes can be made on July 1st for that reason.
Why not make the first season of your customized game start in June?
I did my first custom league this past weekend and I'm still checking if everything I did like creating the logos and stuff are working fine but if something is wrong I need to do everything again because I can't change anything because the league started in middle august.

Example: When I was creating the league I had to select the trade deadline, since I had no idea of when the season starts I selected February 22. Now once I'm playing the first season the game started in August, the regular season ends on Feburary 4 and the trade deadline is during the playoffs but I can't change it because the game started after July 1.

I think the first season must start before July 1 so players can edit everything before the actual game starts not after a long first season because that tires you up before starting playing.
maikgianino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:22 AM   #6
sprague
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post

That’s not a good response.
The company prizes customization...but the answer is this is the database and we won’t push the year start date ahead by a month so it can you know be customizable.
I’m surprised yet not surprised at the same time
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #7
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by maikgianino View Post
Why not make the first season of your customized game start in June?
I did my first custom league this past weekend and I'm still checking if everything I did like creating the logos and stuff are working fine but if something is wrong I need to do everything again because I can't change anything because the league started in middle august.

Example: When I was creating the league I had to select the trade deadline, since I had no idea of when the season starts I selected February 22. Now once I'm playing the first season the game started in August, the regular season ends on Feburary 4 and the trade deadline is during the playoffs but I can't change it because the game started after July 1.

I think the first season must start before July 1 so players can edit everything before the actual game starts not after a long first season because that tires you up before starting playing.
You can't start in June because then you're essentially creating an old database to just renew it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprague View Post
That’s not a good response.
The company prizes customization...but the answer is this is the database and we won’t push the year start date ahead by a month so it can you know be customizable.
I’m surprised yet not surprised at the same time
I'm sorry sprague, there's nothing wrong with the response. You asked why is the database only editable one day a year, and I gave you the answer. You don't have to be happy about it, but that doesn't mean it's not correct.

That being said, I know we're looking at making some changes, but any time you change something it requires a lot of testing because you don't know what else it could or will change.

Last edited by Adam B; 08-30-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:03 PM   #8
Kobeck
Major Leagues

you 100% SHOULD know exactly what any delta will affect...

inability to customize year 1 is inexcusable
Kobeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:08 AM   #9
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobeck View Post
you 100% SHOULD know exactly what any delta will affect...

inability to customize year 1 is inexcusable
Not sure why this thread was resurrected but you can start (and edit) a new game on July 1st for a long time now.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:47 PM   #10
Kobeck
Major Leagues

sweet and still have FHM4 ... have not gotten 5 or OOTP20 yet. Still on 19

so I was reading about FHM4. Honestly just now getting a chance to investigate it.

so my bad

bought FHM5 recently.... way better game... totally worth the $s

Last edited by Kobeck; 06-03-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Kobeck is offline   Reply With Quote