Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 6 > FHM 6 - Technical Support > Bug Reports Forum

Bug Reports Forum Have a bug to report? Please post here.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:23 PM   #1
mdcarr11
Bat Boy

Waivers

Hi All,

Has anyone encountered issues with player waivers in FHM 6?

I'm sitting on October 1st, 2020 getting ready to start year two of my franchise and I noticed a bunch of star players were thrown out on the waiver wire. For instance, David Pastrnak was placed on waivers by Boston.

Obviously, there's no way Pastrnak, 24, is ever going to be placed on waivers by the Bruins at this point in his career.

I went ahead and proceeded with the claim of Patrnak just to see if Boston would pull it back, similar to what might happen in many of the OOTP baseball games. That said, the claim went right through and below was the result.

Have I just missed a thread on this issue previously? Was this already figured out or noted?
mdcarr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:31 AM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

Can you upload the save for me to have a look at? (Instructions here.) Good players on waivers is usually a sign that there's an extreme shortage of available cap room in the league, but I'd need to see the exact situation to figure out if that's it or something else is going on.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:52 AM   #3
mdcarr11
Bat Boy

Awesome! Thanks for taking a look. I went ahead and uploaded the game for review.

The game is named "VANCOUVER.lg.zip".
Old 01-17-2020, 01:00 AM   #4
mdcarr11
Bat Boy

Here's some screen prints of what I'm seeing on my end:

1.) This shows my waiver claim went through and Pastrnak now playing for Vancouver.

2.) There's one showing that Boston is actually close to the cap floor.

Side Note:
Pastrnak's contract for 20/21 only shows $4,000,000, on the 'Contracts' page under his player profile, but it shows a cap hit of $6,666,666 under the 'Roster' >> 'Active Roster' screen. I realize this could be the case in real life, but is there a bonus structure built in the game that I'm missing that would make his cap hit and NHL Salary different? I'm not seeing where it's possible to add bonuses and incentives to contracts in this game.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 01-18-2020, 01:49 AM   #5
JeffR
FHM Producer

Very weird. Doesn't seem to be cap-related at first glance. They've sent down six players on Sept. 21, which is neither a game day for them nor any sort of deadline or other roster trigger. The only out-of-the-ordinary thing going on is the World Cup round-robin stage ending on that date. The return of players from eliminated WC teams triggered some roster shuffling amongst other teams in the league, but nothing like what Boston did.

My first suspicion is some odd scenario that resulted from an overlap of the training camp invites, unlimited roster size, returning WC players, and maybe injuries. But we're going to have to dig into this a little further to try to figure out what exactly that was. Looking through the transaction logs, I also see another small oddity in the way Washington keeps moving Brett Leason up and down, so we'll take a look at that, too. Probably not related, but still needs looking at.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:29 AM   #6
Zeke K
Minors (Double A)

Seems the same type of waiver-fest just happened in my game. LA for some reason on November 23rd decided to waiver half their team, including two top stars (as you can see I inset Raty's current info as well):

Zeke K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:48 AM   #7
JeffR
FHM Producer

I'd need to see the save to know exactly what happened there. As I said above, that's usually an indication of a severage cap space shortage leaguewide. With it happening in November, the circumstances look different from the original report in this thread.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:17 PM   #8
Zeke K
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
I'd need to see the save to know exactly what happened there. As I said above, that's usually an indication of a severage cap space shortage leaguewide. With it happening in November, the circumstances look different from the original report in this thread.

Okay, it's up as waiverissue.lg.zip

I saved it right then in case I'd need it. I then went back to my original save which was a few days prior. I kept playing and this time through it has yet to happen again.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:55 AM   #9
JeffR
FHM Producer

Yeah, it's what I thought. If you scroll through the league, it looks like the average amount of cap space available per team is under $1 million. L.A. just acquired a bunch of salary in a trade with Ottawa, which put them over the cap. Normally in that situation they'd make some salary-dumping trades, but they need to move 6+million of cap hit and nobody (besides your team) has even half that amount of space available.

So they attempt the trades, nothing happens, and that forces them into the doomsday option: scraping out every bit of savings possible by sending guys to the minors and calling up minimum-salary players to get a few hundred thousand in cap space for every such exchange.

It would probably be a good idea to, next July 1, edit the cap upwards a bit and lower all the team budgets by $20-30 million each to keep them from spending so aggressively (which I think may be the root of this situation, all the budgets are well over the cap.) Otherwise you'll see more movements like this when teams exceed the cap. Even with that, it may take a couple of years for the finances to get back to stability again.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:02 AM   #10
Zeke K
Minors (Double A)

Yeah, I have been growing the cap but didn't think of the budgets. Will do that next time 'round. Thanks for checking it out.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #11
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, it's what I thought. If you scroll through the league, it looks like the average amount of cap space available per team is under $1 million. L.A. just acquired a bunch of salary in a trade with Ottawa, which put them over the cap. Normally in that situation they'd make some salary-dumping trades, but they need to move 6+million of cap hit and nobody (besides your team) has even half that amount of space available.

So they attempt the trades, nothing happens, and that forces them into the doomsday option: scraping out every bit of savings possible by sending guys to the minors and calling up minimum-salary players to get a few hundred thousand in cap space for every such exchange.

It would probably be a good idea to, next July 1, edit the cap upwards a bit and lower all the team budgets by $20-30 million each to keep them from spending so aggressively (which I think may be the root of this situation, all the budgets are well over the cap.) Otherwise you'll see more movements like this when teams exceed the cap. Even with that, it may take a couple of years for the finances to get back to stability again.
I have noticed that the budgets go on a lot over the years, also in the KHL. After a few seasons down the road, all the teams do have bigger budgets. The cap won't help because as all the teams have a lot of money at their disposal (even the ones set with a smaller budget at the start of the game), they can afford to spend up to the cap.
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:57 PM   #12
Zeke K
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
next July 1, edit the cap upwards a bit and lower all the team budgets by $20-30 million each to keep them from spending so aggressively (which I think may be the root of this situation, all the budgets are well over the cap.) Otherwise you'll see more movements like this when teams exceed the cap. Even with that, it may take a couple of years for the finances to get back to stability again.
I did this before last year (in my game). I then raised the cap some in the 2nd year again. Everyone was so cap-strapped I couldn't even trade a minor leaguer at the deadline to anyone with out them saying they had no room to take on that much salary.

With all the players heading toward free agency that couldn't be signed I figured they'd have more space in the offseason... so I signed my players instead ,creating a nice cap nightmare of some 18 million over.

Now the cap hits of some of my players has dropped inexplicably. And I supposedly even have cap room now... w/same players.

Most contracts were lowered and nobody is set to play for what they signed for just months prior. Most look adjusted by some percentage?

My most expensive player is signed for 12.3 million this year and 12.4 million the next but is this year carrying a cap hit of 9.926.550?

I never have signed any backloaded/uneven deals but another of my top players now lists three years at 8,132,400 and a fourth year at 10,100,00?

These are not the contracts they were signed to. The majority of my contracts seem altered.

I simmed forward (on a different save, still have a save on July 1) to the regular season to see if it was the 10% offseason cap that was the issue but nothing changed save the cap figure properly going back.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I put the July 1 save up as 'SalaryIssues'.

Last edited by Zeke K; 06-21-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:30 AM   #13
JeffR
FHM Producer

Odd, it looks like it's somehow combined their previous contract (or at least part of it) with the new one and is treating that as a single contract, while retaining the cap hit of the old contract. Recalculating the cap hit in the edit screen adjusts it upwards a bit, but for e.g. Byfield it's combining the 12.3/12.4 from the new contract with two 9.9 seasons from the old and comes out with 11.1 for the cap hit.

Something odd is also going on with the minor league salary numbers for those players, they're being shown as $0 when it should normally display the same number as the regular salary for a one-way contract, which would have been the case for all of these guys.

Looking through the AI teams, doesn't seem to have happened to any of them, just yours.

There's no game system that deliberately adjusts cap hits/contract values like that, so I'm not sure how this has happened. Did anything unusual happen during the contract renewal process for these players in the previous season? And do you recall if you edited contract data for any of them previously? My best guess right now would be that editing did something to their contract status, but it seems unlikely you'd have edited all the guys this has happened to.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:26 PM   #14
Zeke K
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Did anything unusual happen during the contract renewal process for these players in the previous season? And do you recall if you edited contract data for any of them previously? My best guess right now would be that editing did something to their contract status, but it seems unlikely you'd have edited all the guys this has happened to.
I can't think of anything odd that happened. I haven't edited anyone I don't think. I first noticed Byfield's 12 million going to 9 as that was hard to miss then I realized that a lot of people were playing on contracts/costing "hits" that they weren't signed to.

I think that a lot of the contract years that have 0 for minors cap hits were the added on variety. Without looking I don't remember exactly but some players that were signed to 8 for two years ended up with a $10.000,000 third year that I didn't sign them to. Any uneven salaries with big jumps in the final year are in error.