Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 6 > FHM 6 - General Discussion

FHM 6 - General Discussion Talk about the latest & greatest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 11-04-2019, 08:34 PM   #181
GMO123
Major Leagues

Quote:
Quote:
"I'm unsure what 'Job Rating' for a staff member means.

I have a scout who has a high rating/attribute for Coaching Goalies ('Very Good') so I switched his position from Scout to Assistant Coach for Goalies.

However his 'Job Rating' for Coaching is 'very poor', but 'Excellent' for 'scouting'.

The Job Rating seems to be contradictory compared to his abilities so I'm unsure what 'Job Ratings' means."
Answer
I'm not sure I quite understand the question. But a Scout doesn't necessarily make a good coach."
What I'm saying is that the attributes on the Team Staff/Training screen shows a scout having great coaching ability (e.g. Coaching Off is 'very good') but the 'Job Ratings' attribute on the Team staff screen says he's 'poor' as a coach.

To me they're contradictory.
Which one is correct ?

Last edited by Adam B; 11-04-2019 at 09:40 PM. Reason: My Eyes.
GMO123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:41 PM   #182
GMO123
Major Leagues

Quote:
Quote:
"If an assistant coach is set to have more than one role (e.g. Off coach and Def coach), does that affect anything negatively?

Do both the Off and Def players get the full benefit of his coaching skills because his time is split between the two roles?

Answer
Does it negatively affect? No, but you're usually better off having at least 2 assistants."

If it doesn't affect anything negatively then why not use just one assistant coach for all training if that assistant coach is highly rated in all or many categories (e.g. coaching off, coaching def, coaching pro etc.)?

Is there any advantage to having only one assistant coach in each training category instead of having one or a few assistant coaches multi-tasking by doing more than one type of training (e.g. one assistant coach performing the roles of training for coaching def and coaching pro for example) if the assistant coaches have good ratings in those training categories?

Last edited by Adam B; 11-04-2019 at 09:41 PM. Reason: MY EYES
Old 11-05-2019, 02:57 AM   #183
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by obseen View Post
How do PTOs work. I see the option to offer, but I don't get a response
When you make the offer, you should get a confirmation yes/no popup; if you choose yes and the player rejects it, you'll get a message to that effect. If he doesn't refuse, he's automatically added to your roster with a (TO) tag.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:13 AM   #184
Chicken Swede
Bat Boy

Attributes over 20

So, I just bought the game and I'm enjoying it so far. Good work!

Small question though. The players are ranked up to 20 in each attribute but you can edit them up to 40, or am I mistaken? What is the reason for this and what does it lead to if you go over 20?

Last edited by Chicken Swede; 11-05-2019 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
Chicken Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:21 AM   #185
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Swede View Post
So, I just bought the game and I'm enjoying it so far. Good work!

Small question though. The players are ranked up to 20 in each attribute but you can edit them up to 40, or am I misstaken? What is the reason for this and what does it lead to if you go over 20?
The range is really 1-40, but they only exceed 20 in exceptional cases, e.g. if you start a historical game in the 80's you'll see Gretzky with multiple ratings over 20. The effect of each ratings point over 20 also has a larger effect on the player's performance than 1-20 ratings, so 21 vs. 20 is a bigger difference than 20 vs. 19, and 22 vs. 21 is bigger than 21 vs. 20, etc.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:23 PM   #186
obseen
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
When you make the offer, you should get a confirmation yes/no popup; if you choose yes and the player rejects it, you'll get a message to that effect. If he doesn't refuse, he's automatically added to your roster with a (TO) tag.
What if you don’t get the pop up?
obseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:21 PM   #187
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by obseen View Post
What if you don’t get the pop up?
The yes/no confirmation that you want to make the tryout offer? You should always get it. Are you on the current version of the game? There was an issue in an earlier build that was preventing it from working some of the time.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #188
wired71
Bat Boy

Apologies if this has been asked. To run a league. Do the GM's have to have the game? I have the game myself. just curious about the GMS
wired71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:20 PM   #189
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMO123 View Post
If it doesn't affect anything negatively then why not use just one assistant coach for all training if that assistant coach is highly rated in all or many categories (e.g. coaching off, coaching def, coaching pro etc.)?

Is there any advantage to having only one assistant coach in each training category instead of having one or a few assistant coaches multi-tasking by doing more than one type of training (e.g. one assistant coach performing the roles of training for coaching def and coaching pro for example) if the assistant coaches have good ratings in those training categories?
There is very, VERY few Assistant Coaches who could possibly excel in every single role.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:04 PM   #190
GMO123
Major Leagues

I had a player in the minors (AHL). It said he was not waivers eligible - ie. Waivers Eligible column in Active Roster = No.

So I bring him up to the NHL, but then the column in Roster/Active Roster for Waivers Eligible is now Yes.

Why the change?
How can I tell if he's actually waivers exempt or not in the NHL when he's in the AHL?
Old 11-05-2019, 09:37 PM   #191
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired71 View Post
Apologies if this has been asked. To run a league. Do the GM's have to have the game? I have the game myself. just curious about the GMS
Technically no, you could have them give you instructions on what to do and make all their moves, lineup decisions, etc. yourself, but that'd get to be a lot of work and it probably wouldn't be much fun for them, either.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:45 PM   #192
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMO123 View Post
I had a player in the minors (AHL). It said he was not waivers eligible - ie. Waivers Eligible column in Active Roster = No.

So I bring him up to the NHL, but then the column in Roster/Active Roster for Waivers Eligible is now Yes.

Why the change?
How can I tell if he's actually waivers exempt or not in the NHL when he's in the AHL?
Right now I think it's showing the waiver eligibility status relative to the league the player is currently in, so for the minor leagues, which don't have waivers, it's always going to be "No". That's obviously not very useful, I'll see if it can be changed to be relative to the owning team when viewed from that team's roster screens (i.e., something like looking at the Contracts tab to see all your players and switching the view to info; I don't think it'll be possible to change how its shown when you're looking at the roster screen for the minor league team.)
Old 11-06-2019, 12:28 AM   #193
CubzFan73
Minors (Single A)

aging

Does a higher number mean they'll age slower or faster? Example: if player A has an aging rating of 6, and player B has a rating of 15, will player A or B age faster?

Last edited by CubzFan73; 11-06-2019 at 12:34 AM.
CubzFan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:48 AM   #194
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubzFan73 View Post
Does a higher number mean they'll age slower or faster? Example: if player A has an aging rating of 6, and player B has a rating of 15, will player A or B age faster?
Higher means they'll decline later. But if by "aging" you mean the speed with which they reach their peak, that's determined by a variety of factors; a low aging number will probably result in a faster peak, but not necessarily.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:37 AM   #195
rain94
Minors (Single A)

Is there a combination of attributes for "clutchness" so that a player will excel more during the 3rd period in a close game or OT? I didn't see any specific skill on the Edit Attribute page. I know there is an attribute for big games.
rain94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:37 AM   #196
Chicken Swede
Bat Boy

Prospect or not

I'm curious of when a prospect is not thought of as a prospect anymore.

In my game Kaapo Kakko was the 2nd highest ranked prospect after Hughes. Come allstar break and he is nowhere to be seen in the prospect rankings anymore.

He is 3-star, 1st role as a goalscorer and 2nd role as a blue chip prospect. 19 points in 48 games and -20.

Edit: At a closer look it appears that the #2 spot is missing in the prospects screen. #1 Hughes and next line is #3 Kupari. Kakko is also missing from the Rangers in the system rankings screen.

Last edited by Chicken Swede; 11-06-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Chicken Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:46 PM   #197
imMapex
Bat Boy

Two questions regarding CHL mechanics:

1. At the start of my QMJHL season, I was given pick one in the CHL Import Draft. Come draft day, I was not given a pick at all in rounds one or two. I had two foreigner players already assigned to my roster. Was this why my picks were forfeited?

2. What is the ideal location for scouts targeting the New England Highschool league? Do I need the QMJHL Entry Draft restriction on for scouting or is the American draft separate?
imMapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:48 PM   #198
DirkGildun
Minors (Single A)

I think it's time to ask my annual question again (2nd time with FHM6) -- Why is there no way to import/edit league game schedules in FHM6? OOTPB has had this ability for umpteen years, and you can't say that it is sport-specific. What OOTPB does with this function "should" be transferable to FHM.

I wouldn't even complain about this if the schedules within FHM for custom fictional (in my case, 8-team) leagues weren't unbalanced (both team vs. team and home vs. away) crap.

If this function is in FHM6, I apologize, but I have seen no mention of it in any version of FHM since I bought FHM2 and found out I couldn't set up a league the way I wanted to (and had done in previous years in another PC game).
DirkGildun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:31 PM   #199
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain94 View Post
Is there a combination of attributes for "clutchness" so that a player will excel more during the 3rd period in a close game or OT? I didn't see any specific skill on the Edit Attribute page. I know there is an attribute for big games.
I think there are some minor effects along those lines tied to Determination.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:38 PM   #200
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Swede View Post
I'm curious of when a prospect is not thought of as a prospect anymore.

In my game Kaapo Kakko was the 2nd highest ranked prospect after Hughes. Come allstar break and he is nowhere to be seen in the prospect rankings anymore.

He is 3-star, 1st role as a goalscorer and 2nd role as a blue chip prospect. 19 points in 48 games and -20.

Edit: At a closer look it appears that the #2 spot is missing in the prospects screen. #1 Hughes and next line is #3 Kupari. Kakko is also missing from the Rangers in the system rankings screen.
For the NHL, it's players age 23 and under with less than 41 games (i.e. half a season) played in the league. It'll drop guys off the list once they hit 41. For leagues with age limits, it uses a lower age qualifier.

Re: the edit, the #2 prospect is probably a defenceman or goalie, the forwards are listed first.