Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the 2018 version of FHM.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:39 AM   #21
Saul Goodman
Minors (Double A)

Doesn't seem that ridiculous to me.

Sounds like they would love to make it exactly like real life but need to pick and choose what they work on given the team size but that may change in the future. Sure it sucks you can't participate in the draft before your first season but it's hardly a gamebreaking issue.

Last edited by Saul Goodman; 09-29-2018 at 04:40 AM.
Saul Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:37 AM   #22
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
I get too bored playing the same old NHL game.
Just out of curiosity, why is it boring? There are several people on the boards playing and/or simming many NHL seasons or seasons in other leagues, and they of course enjoy it, also I like to play many seasons in the future, why is it boring?
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:45 AM   #23
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

I watch a lot of NHL games(NHL.TV) and I find it not very interesting to replay the same games via computer game.

As far as FHM5(or previous editions):

Its sorta like Aerosmith's song-Same Old Song as Dance.(everyone playing the same game getting the same results with the same players)

Much prefer Ten Years After-I'd Love to Change the World(expansion,customize,etc)

Back around 1980 ,when playing dice baseball,I decided to go the fictional route and have never looked back.

I find it very interesting,because for one you are witnessing something that you have put together and have never seen it before and it's 100 percent unpredictable.

Everyone playing the same NHL game(especially the upcoming season) isn't my bag because every one(well,most everyone) is playing with the same rosters and possibly the same results.

Not very exciting in my books.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:41 AM   #24
Smetana
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjerome View Post
Expansion teams still can't participate in their first Entry draft. They have to play an entire year before getting any drafted prospects to develop. Seem ridiculous? Agreed. Design mistake since FHM2, still present in FHM5.

Below are responses I've received about this over the years:

2015:

2017:

2018:
Your point is absolutely valid, but the posts you quoted are true, it's a major coding issue. Like you, I hope it's sorted out eventually.

When I add an expansion team in a league, my workaround is to manually add my first-year "draft picks" via commissioner mode. I examine the draft and assign myself the appropriate pick numbers. The after the draft, I move the rights for the guys I would have picked to my team.

Optimal? No, of course not. But it gets the job done. And it's a damn good game, so I make due. YMMV.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:43 AM   #25
Smetana
All Star Starter

Quote:
I watch a lot of NHL games(NHL.TV) and I find it not very interesting to replay the same games via computer game.

Its sorta like Aerosmith's song-Same Old Song as Dance.(everyone playing the same game getting the same results with the same players)

Much prefer Ten Years After-I'd Love to Change the World(expansion,customize,etc)

Back around 1980 ,when playing dice baseball,I decided to go the fictional route and have never looked back.

I find it very interesting,because for one you are witnessing something that you have put together and have never seen it before and it's 100 percent unpredictable.

Everyone playing the same NHL game(especially the upcoming season) isn't my bag because every one(well,most everyone) is playing with the same rosters and possibly the same results.

From your posts over the years, I know how big you are on fictional play, big complicated leagues, lots of teams.

FHM5 may not do everything you want in this regard 100%, but it's miles beyond FHM4 in this aspect, I'll tell you that.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:32 AM   #26
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It's good that the game can appeal to both "traditional" and fictional leagues.
To be honest, I'd also try more customization if we could do it in Europe. I'd love to create a fictional European league, but with real team and players, and it is not doable right now.
However, I'd probably still prefer the traditional way
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:40 AM   #27
tward13
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
Just out of curiosity, why is it boring? There are several people on the boards playing and/or simming many NHL seasons or seasons in other leagues, and they of course enjoy it, also I like to play many seasons in the future, why is it boring?
He has his own way of doing things. I've seen it on the OOTP boards too. I've never understood, but everyone has their own way of enjoing a game.

I play current and historical.

Where it gets odd is when it's one or two people asking for all kinds of quirky changes that 95% would never use.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:47 AM   #28
bigtrouble77
Minors (Double A)

I've supported every version of this game, but it has not clicked for me yet. I play in online EHM leagues and for most of us, we are optimistic this game will eventually surpass EHM, but it hasn't yet (for us). That said, I'm excited for FHM5. Love the team's dedication. The progress has been substantial. So a big congratulations to the dev team, excited to see how this year's iteration came out.

Last edited by bigtrouble77; 09-29-2018 at 10:52 AM.
bigtrouble77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:58 PM   #29
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I need too see a complete feature's list before I make any conclusions.

That seems too be absent at the moment.

Are they still adding stuff(hopefully more expansion options) or still testing it?

It seems odd to pre order something without a complete features list.
I pre-order first and foremost to support the development of the game. Even if the game is bad coming out of the gate, and I've been weary about pre-ordering since I've had a few bad luck runs with Steams' Early Access program, I'm confident it'll get fixed and quite frankly I want there to be a FHM 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc in the future.
omjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:07 PM   #30
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omjo View Post
I pre-order first and foremost to support the development of the game. Even if the game is bad coming out of the gate, and I've been weary about pre-ordering since I've had a few bad luck runs with Steams' Early Access program, I'm confident it'll get fixed and quite frankly I want there to be a FHM 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc in the future.
I usually order within the first week.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:47 AM   #31
mjerome
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smetana View Post
Your point is absolutely valid, but the posts you quoted are true, it's a major coding issue. Like you, I hope it's sorted out eventually.

When I add an expansion team in a league, my workaround is to manually add my first-year "draft picks" via commissioner mode. I examine the draft and assign myself the appropriate pick numbers. The after the draft, I move the rights for the guys I would have picked to my team.

Optimal? No, of course not. But it gets the job done. And it's a damn good game, so I make due. YMMV.
Thank you for offering your work around. I will remember.
mjerome is offline   Reply With Quote