Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Rosters, Photos, and Quick-Starts
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2023, 09:55 PM   #36421
DeweyintheHall
All Star Reserve

Gary Thomasson - 1978 A's

Signatures 4U on eBay surfaced this image of Thomasson - so far as I know, the first one of him in color from his stint with Oakland in 1978 -
Attached Images
DeweyintheHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 09:58 PM   #36422
DeweyintheHall
All Star Reserve

Bobby Ramos - Expos, 1978

Kyles Sports Cards is offering this image of Ramos sporting the Expos' late '70s unis - the only color image I've seen of Ramos during his first stint with the club.
Attached Images
DeweyintheHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 12:48 PM   #36423
tnfoto
Global Moderator

Joe Bernard 1909?

I am not convinced that the Joe_Bernard image shown in the Facepack (and CO Facepack, and on B-R.com) actually pictures the one-inning major leaguer. The image was shared here in 2009 by Bearman, but I have not been able to confirm that the Burke image actually pictures the major leaguer.

According to Bernard's SABR Bio, he was very active, and became a well-known bowler, golfer and tennis player in Illinois in the 1910s and 20s. With that in mind, I thought I could find some newspaper photos of him, but to this point I haven't seen any.

If anyone knows the primary source for the Burke photo (it's almost certainly from an early-20th century team photo in a Spalding or Reach guide), or has any other photos/images of Bernard, please share!
Download Facepack & more at tnfoto's Baseball Photos Homepage
Photo threads: 2022 Debuts Majors Managers Coaches Umpires Minors Negro League Image Requests General Image Discussion
tnfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 05:34 PM   #36424
rrb77
All Star Starter

Eddie Stack

1913-14 Chicago Cubs...from current RMY auction.
Attached Images
rrb77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 08:41 PM   #36425
Chickazoola
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnfoto View Post
I am not convinced that the Joe_Bernard image shown in the Facepack (and CO Facepack, and on B-R.com) actually pictures the one-inning major leaguer. The image was shared here in 2009 by Bearman, but I have not been able to confirm that the Burke image actually pictures the major leaguer.

According to Bernard's SABR Bio, he was very active, and became a well-known bowler, golfer and tennis player in Illinois in the 1910s and 20s. With that in mind, I thought I could find some newspaper photos of him, but to this point I haven't seen any.

If anyone knows the primary source for the Burke photo (it's almost certainly from an early-20th century team photo in a Spalding or Reach guide), or has any other photos/images of Bernard, please share!
From the looks of the photo, it would seem to be from one of the Spalding or Reach guides for the era. Based on Bernard's bio, I would be likely to agree until we find the provenance. Possibility it could be Curt Bernard?

I'll have a look in guides tonight. I did find a 1910 St. Louis Spalding guide earlier, but Bernard's team wasn't photographed.
Chickazoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 04:13 AM   #36426
rlumpkin1@tampabay.rr.com
Hall Of Famer

Any known photos of Kerwin Moore, Stan Spencer in a Florida Marlins uni? In 1993 Spring Training

Last edited by rlumpkin1@tampabay.rr.com; 10-18-2023 at 04:14 AM.
rlumpkin1@tampabay.rr.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 08:34 AM   #36427
tnfoto
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickazoola View Post
From the looks of the photo, it would seem to be from one of the Spalding or Reach guides for the era. Based on Bernard's bio, I would be likely to agree until we find the provenance. Possibility it could be Curt Bernard?

I'll have a look in guides tonight. I did find a 1910 St. Louis Spalding guide earlier, but Bernard's team wasn't photographed.
Thanks, Chickazoola. I learned from Cusick that it is from a ca. 1907 Brighton, IL team photo, and that photo could be found in an Alton, IL newspaper from 1958. According to Cusick, the caption in the 1958 printing was incomplete and did not identify Bernard.

I'm still hoping that one of the IL newspapers printed a photo of him following a tennis, golf or bowling tournament, but I haven't located one yet.
Photo threads: 2022 Debuts Majors Managers Coaches Umpires Minors Negro League Image Requests General Image Discussion
Old 10-18-2023, 12:00 PM   #36428
rrb77
All Star Starter

George Cochran

1918 Boston Red Sox...from current RMY auction.
Attached Images
Old 10-18-2023, 07:24 PM   #36429
rrb77
All Star Starter

Ray Noble

1951-53 NY Giants...from current RMY auction.
Attached Images
Old 10-19-2023, 12:44 AM   #36430
Chickazoola
Minors (Triple A)

Attachment 977221
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnfoto View Post
Thanks, Chickazoola. I learned from Cusick that it is from a ca. 1907 Brighton, IL team photo, and that photo could be found in an Alton, IL newspaper from 1958. According to Cusick, the caption in the 1958 printing was incomplete and did not identify Bernard.

I'm still hoping that one of the IL newspapers printed a photo of him following a tennis, golf or bowling tournament, but I haven't located one yet.
Okay so I located the photo that I believe Cusick was referring to and it is a totally different image than the one we have for Bernard. Notably the Brighton players uniforms are totally different, which the "Bernard" image shows a player with Pegs written on it.

Because of the number "8" written on on the "Bernard" image, I'm very confident that it originates from one of the Reach or Spalding guides. They commonly published team photos with numbers on them to indicate which player was pictured. The image looks cropped from a team photo.

I've done some looking but haven't found a match.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 10-19-2023, 07:34 AM   #36431
Cusick
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickazoola View Post
Attachment 977221

Okay so I located the photo that I believe Cusick was referring to and it is a totally different image than the one we have for Bernard. Notably the Brighton players uniforms are totally different, which the "Bernard" image shows a player with Pegs written on it.

Because of the number "8" written on on the "Bernard" image, I'm very confident that it originates from one of the Reach or Spalding guides. They commonly published team photos with numbers on them to indicate which player was pictured. The image looks cropped from a team photo.

I've done some looking but haven't found a match.
Chickazoola is correct. I was referring to the Brighton team photo he found plus another version of the same team photo which had different captions for the players in that photo. In that second version, which had been provided to me by a collector, Bernard's name was included. But several inconsistencies made me doubt that it was really Bernard.
Cusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 09:04 AM   #36432
Dto7
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusick View Post
Chickazoola is correct. I was referring to the Brighton team photo he found plus another version of the same team photo which had different captions for the players in that photo. In that second version, which had been provided to me by a collector, Bernard's name was included. But several inconsistencies made me doubt that it was really Bernard.
The player is named Berger and it's from the 1916 Winnipeg Maroons. Berger is #8. Baseball-Reference also uses the photo for Clarence Berger. https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=berger001cla

https://attheplate.com/wcbl/1916_1g2.html
Attached Images

Last edited by Dto7; 10-20-2023 at 09:27 AM.
Dto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 10:28 AM   #36433
tnfoto
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dto7 View Post
The player is named Berger and it's from the 1916 Winnipeg Maroons. Berger is #8. Baseball-Reference also uses the photo for Clarence Berger. https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=berger001cla

https://attheplate.com/wcbl/1916_1g2.html
Great detective work! Thank you; I've added Bernard to the missing player list.
Old 10-21-2023, 03:50 PM   #36434
Chickazoola
Minors (Triple A)

I think Berger is also incorrect. The Winnipeg player is this guy:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=berger022---

A catcher named Ernest C. "Heinie" Berger. This note in the March 30, 1916 Winnipeg Tribune confirms it.

Not to be confused with the 1907-1910 Cleveland pitcher also called Heinie Berger.

Not sure if there is another photo of Clarence Berger too, but if not, he belongs on the missing list too.
Attached Images
Old 10-21-2023, 04:21 PM   #36435
Chickazoola
Minors (Triple A)

Okay, found Clarence Berger fairly easily. He went to the Pirates from Richmond, VA club in summer 1914. Berger was pictured in the Richmond team photo that appears in the 1915 Spalding Guide.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 10-22-2023, 12:15 AM   #36436
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Spring Training 1973, Cocoa Beach FL.

Bob Watson, Jerry Reuss, Skip Jutze. (From Reuss's Flickr.)

Staff conference at the mound: Don Wilson, Dave A. Roberts, Watson, Reuss, Larry Dierker

Most of the staff: Reuss, James Rodney Richard, Tom Griffin, pitching coach Jim Owens, Wilson, Roberts, Ken Forsch, Dierker.

And the team pic, for good measure.

(Perhaps a bit much, but I recall the "shooting star" unis have been asked for before.)

Last edited by Amazin69; 10-22-2023 at 01:25 AM.
Amazin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 04:39 AM   #36437
cinemaodyssey
All Star Starter

Another Possible Missing Player Addition

As much as I hate to add to the Missing Player list, I'm almost positive that the current Facepack image of John Fox (1881 debut) is incorrect. Correspondence between myself and Bearman (who initially posted the image) has led to the conclusion that there is no paper trail for that image and no verifiable link that it depicts the major league player.
cinemaodyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 09:53 AM   #36438
tnfoto
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemaodyssey View Post
As much as I hate to add to the Missing Player list, I'm almost positive that the current Facepack image of John Fox (1881 debut) is incorrect. Correspondence between myself and Bearman (who initially posted the image) has led to the conclusion that there is no paper trail for that image and no verifiable link that it depicts the major league player.
I agree about Fox and I've added him to the missing player list.

I'm generally skeptical of listing any player as "found" when we have only one image that does not include primary source information. I can't think of others off the top of my head right now, but I know that there are more. As much as I also hesitate to add to the Missing Player list, I'd rather have those players listed there, where several of us will actively search for source data and/or alternates, than have unconfirmed images that may or may not depict the players in question.
Old 10-23-2023, 12:36 AM   #36439
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Fernando Valenzuela 1980 (1991 Angels uniform)

I don't see any pics of Fernando with the Halos here, so why not?

Name:  1991:6:12-Fernando Valenzuela CAL v. MIL.jpeg
Views: 340
Size:  314.5 KB

June 12. 1991. The Angels host the Brewers, and Jerry Reuss, just starting his broadcasting career, snaps some shots of various ex-teammates. Including a certain ex-Dodger screwballer.

Last edited by Amazin69; 10-23-2023 at 05:55 AM.
Amazin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 03:12 PM   #36440
rrb77
All Star Starter

Gus Dugas

1933 Philadelphia Phillies...from ebay seller jcm331.
Attached Images