Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
landru22
Major Leagues

Minor League Teams Not Enough Players

This issue is probably not OOTP19 related as I believe I had this same problem with this league in OOTP18. I have my manager settings for Minor League Free Agent Signings and Releases set to "Minor League Managers". The Minor League managers seem to be asleep on the job because I have only 9 players in AAA, 17 in AA, and 23 in A. These are my onlt levels of minors. I have 2 other associated leagues in my world - A 12 team Latin league and a 12 team Asian league. There are no minor league levels for these 2 additional leagues. In my major leagues I have a 15 round draft with players created for 16. In the other two leagues I have a 5 round draft with players created for 6 (there are no minor leagues for these two additional leagues).

It is May 9th and there are 622 players on the Free Agent list. Why aren't my minor league managers signing minor league free agents? I think there are enough players created in my world to support all leagues, but maybe I'm wrong? Anyone have a clue what might be going wrong here?

BTW, I looked at the minor league systems of other teams in my league and although they are not quite full either, they have more players than my minor league teams do.

I have roster sizes set as follows: Majors(25), AAA(30), AA(30), and A(no limit).
landru22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
cmaug
Major Leagues

I always just enable ghost players, this keeps me from having to spend time filling out minors with players I don't care about
cmaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #3
landru22
Major Leagues

Yes, ghost players are enabled.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

you can fill rosters with fictional players. not at my game, but it's under league settings .... or you can cherry pick a few free agents .... or hold a free agent draft .... think you may need to be in commish mode for some of those procedures.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:31 PM   #5
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by landru22 View Post
Yes, ghost players are enabled.
I could be wrong, but I actually think this is the problem. Since you have ghost players, the AI doesn't see a need to sign players that ultimately aren't going to perform much better than the ghost players.

But I'm just guessing. One thing you could try:

1. Make a copy of your league.
2. In the copy, turn off ghost players.
3. Sim ahead a few months and years and see what your minors look like.
4. If it still doesn't look right, try the "fill minor leagues with fictional players" option and sim ahead again.

If you like the results, do the same in your actual save. I'd really recommend messing around with this in a test copy of your league, though.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:46 PM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

there is quite a bit of fluctuation in quantity of mil players relative to # of draft rounds over the course of enough years to fill a mil system (or turn over etc). so, your team having fewer is ~normal, if it isn't extremely drastic... you can find 1 or 2 other teams in a similar position, right?

do you have any roster rules in place?

do some teams have more than others at any particular level?

how many rounds in the draft do you have?

e.g. if you only allow 1 playable year at R, then you better have at least ~35 or more rounds, because not all players go to R and you need to fill it from one draft..

if you have any mil roster rules apply common sense like that.

if you cut # of draft rounds, undo that edit.

1 team per level per top level team, if not called mlb, will need at least ~20-25rounds to maintain mil... with no roster rules or other impediments. add roster rules and you almost certainly need more, and possibly more than whatever default was for your league setup.

more than 1 team per level for any team in entire league, then you have to choose # of rounds based on that "1" team, then, or they will run low.

the ai is not going to sign FA for mil very often, so don't hold your breath on that one.

as battists said, any rule changes or testing, sime out ~10 years or so, and check back in. use a restored backup you can throwaway. that leaves your league untouched, in a sense. i'd be curious if their theory is true. i wouldn't expect it to matter though. the players are temporary. they probably don't even have a row in the dB and disappear after completion of games. if you real-time sim or similar you can 'see them', but not when games are not in play.

Last edited by NoOne; 08-25-2018 at 02:49 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:10 PM   #7
HonusWagner
All Star Reserve

Yes, ghost players are part of the charm. Remember that when critiquing.

This year a new feature is releasing players so you have perpetual ghost teams. Or maybe it's not new. I lose track.
HonusWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:03 AM   #8
Arobbins
Minors (Double A)

This happened to me and it was because I had ticked the option for disabling AI controlled roster moves. Could that be it?
Arobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:06 AM   #9
landru22
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arobbins View Post
This happened to me and it was because I had ticked the option for disabling AI controlled roster moves. Could that be it?
I thought we may have had something here, but no, I don't have that checked. Thanks, though.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:09 AM   #10
landru22
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
there is quite a bit of fluctuation in quantity of mil players relative to # of draft rounds over the course of enough years to fill a mil system (or turn over etc). so, your team having fewer is ~normal, if it isn't extremely drastic... you can find 1 or 2 other teams in a similar position, right?

do you have any roster rules in place?

do some teams have more than others at any particular level?

how many rounds in the draft do you have?

e.g. if you only allow 1 playable year at R, then you better have at least ~35 or more rounds, because not all players go to R and you need to fill it from one draft..

if you have any mil roster rules apply common sense like that.

if you cut # of draft rounds, undo that edit.

1 team per level per top level team, if not called mlb, will need at least ~20-25rounds to maintain mil... with no roster rules or other impediments. add roster rules and you almost certainly need more, and possibly more than whatever default was for your league setup.

more than 1 team per level for any team in entire league, then you have to choose # of rounds based on that "1" team, then, or they will run low.

the ai is not going to sign FA for mil very often, so don't hold your breath on that one.

as battists said, any rule changes or testing, sime out ~10 years or so, and check back in. use a restored backup you can throwaway. that leaves your league untouched, in a sense. i'd be curious if their theory is true. i wouldn't expect it to matter though. the players are temporary. they probably don't even have a row in the dB and disappear after completion of games. if you real-time sim or similar you can 'see them', but not when games are not in play.
I will try more draft rounds, but with so many players in the free agent pool I wonder why these unemployed players either aren't being offered minor league deals or are just refusing them.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:57 AM   #11
battists
Hall Of Famer

I don’t suppose you can post your league file for us to take a look at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2018, 11:58 AM   #12
battists
Hall Of Famer

I think all you actually need to post is the .dat files. You don’t need all of the other crap for this.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:04 PM   #13
landru22
Major Leagues

My file is too large to upload here. The zipped up .dat files are a little more than 56 mb. Thanks for offering to help, though. I really do appreciate it!
Old 08-27-2018, 11:20 AM   #14
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My file is too large to upload here. The zipped up .dat files are a little more than 56 mb. Thanks for offering to help, though. I really do appreciate it!

Did you just zip up the .dat files? You don’t need anything else.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:25 PM   #15
HonusWagner
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I will try more draft rounds, but with so many players in the free agent pool I wonder why these unemployed players either aren't being offered minor league deals or are just refusing them.
Welp, as I said above, according to my experience with ootp19, you can and likely will seek to solve your empty rosters dilemma with a FA draft, and it makes perfect sense to do so. However, if your software is anything like mine, your team will turn around and immediately release the newly drafted FAs, resulting in perpetual empty rosters.

I don't recall this with '18. With '18, you just got what you describe: plenty of available FAs and none of the AI teams signing them.

With '19, there seems to be a variance on the theme, in which you can force the AI teams to draft FA, but you cannot force AI teams to KEEP signed FAs. So, I suppose my point is don't worry too much about figuring out how to get AI to sign available FAs because the AI is just going to turn around and release all the FAs you got it to sign.

Again, I believe this feature is new to '19.
HonusWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:38 PM   #16
landru22
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
Did you just zip up the .dat files? You don’t need anything else.

Yes, the zip contained the .dat files only and was too large to DL here.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:26 AM   #17
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i know they never signed many mil FA, at least not in response to roster #s based on behaviour. other reasons like perceived quality etc...

as far as dumping players, that would be new, because i never have had problems filling an mil, as long as rules and # of draft rounds did not preclude that possibility. when ihave had a shortage, it was self-inflicted. (took 50+ years too, just a freak accident because i cut it too close).
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #18
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, the zip contained the .dat files only and was too large to DL here.

Ok. I know there are plenty of file sharing services like Dropbox you could put them on. Obviously you don’t have to if you’re not comfortable with that, but would definitely be the best way to get more help.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:52 PM   #19
landru22
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
Ok. I know there are plenty of file sharing services like Dropbox you could put them on. Obviously you don’t have to if you’re not comfortable with that, but would definitely be the best way to get more help.

Thanks for the help. I am not THAT upset by this issue, I was more curious if others had experienced it. If I start to get to the point where it's really pissing me off, I will upload it to the ftp site.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:15 PM   #20
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

I never thought of the FA draft idea for minors, that's a good one. I usually just fill the rosters with fake players. 90+% of them will just get cut and then deleted anyway. That error can get really tedious so I don't mind the fake players.

Current Project: WBAT/AABBA: Organized Base Ball And the "New Normal" World Baseball Aid Tournament 2023 trophy round underway!
BBGiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote