Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:41 PM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Nothing wrong with making changes for the better, I went to a 26 man roster but adding the DH in the NL would be another way to help the AI keep the bullpen from complete exhaustion.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:16 PM   #22
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I was thinking about the 26-man roster also, but I am not sure I want to do both.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:13 PM   #23
ZigZagMan
Minors (Double A)

I'm currently running the 2018 Cardinals and the bullpen has been atrocious despite individuals having solid ratings. I swear Holland gives up a homer every time he pitches.

Bullpen has been a mixed bag with Weaver, Wacha, and Mikolas pitching well and Wainwright struggling. The big surprise was Carlos Martinez really struggling to start the season but he's starting to turn it around. DeJong sucks at D. Ozuna has been banged up and can't hit for any power whatsoever. Outside of Fowler and Pham the lineup isn't doing much. The only outside help I've brought in so far was snagging Wilmer Flores on waivers but now I'm finding he and Gyorko are kind of redundant. Might look to move one of them for relief help.

Still, the ratings suggest these guys should be better and I'm sitting at 23-24 on May 23. I think once variance starts to swing the other way I'll be making a run at the playoffs.

If I fall short, goodbye Mike Matheny!

Last edited by ZigZagMan; 04-20-2018 at 10:19 PM.
ZigZagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:58 PM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I have replaced most of the staff. If we don't make the playoffs in 2019, I think I'll search for a new manager.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:03 AM   #25
rink23
Hall Of Famer

My 2018 Redbirds are doing just fine, although this post will probably jinx me.
I have a record of 31-17 and own a 3.5 game lead over the Cubs in the NL Central on May 25.
Dexter Fowler has played like a house afire for the last month and has been my best player, but other than that it seems like it's a different player who steps up in a big way.
The lineup posted on the first screen is a bit misleading as it is due to some middle infield injuries (DeJong and Garcia) which forced me to bring up two players from Memphis (Tommy Erdman and Alex Mejia) who have performed so well, I don't want to go back to my regulars until they cool off.
Starting pitching, Weaver has been the most consistent while Wainwright and Wacha both have performed better than expected.
Martinez's numbers are scued by a couple of bad starts. Mikolas has been about what I expected.
The bullpen has been my strength, Dominc Leone, has yet to allow run let alone blow a save in 12 attempts. Bud Norris, Matt Bowman and Luke Gregerson also have consistently pitched well.
Only Greg Holland has caused me any issues and that's just in his last few outings
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by rink23; 04-21-2018 at 02:06 AM.
rink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:06 AM   #26
rink23
Hall Of Famer

avoiding double posf

Last edited by rink23; 04-21-2018 at 02:08 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:21 AM   #27
rink23
Hall Of Famer

OK, my record is 34-17, I lead the Cubs by three games in the NL Central and have the third-best record in MLB.
And my ranking as GM and manager just dropped to poor.
Is it because I won't offer 37-year-old Adam Wainwright an extension when I have Jack Flaherty, Alex Reyes, Jordan Hicks and Dakota Hudson waiting in the wings?
Old 04-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #28
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

No. Your rating won’t improve until your second season at least. Don’t worry about it.

Your owner won’t be mad about Wainwright until the end of the season, if it all.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:22 AM   #29
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rink23 View Post
My 2018 Redbirds are doing just fine, although this post will probably jinx me.
I have a record of 31-17 and own a 3.5 game lead over the Cubs in the NL Central on May 25.
My first run is sitting at 28-17 so similar success. The starting pitching was very good, and Fowler is hitting .300 with good power.

My experience with OOTP through many versions is that you can take the same team through multiple seasons with varied results. Sometimes you are good, sometimes you aren’t, and sometimes you have too many injuries. Luck has a lot to do with the results.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #30
DaBears
Major Leagues

I always replicate the team's real-life 40-man roster when starting a game. Otherwise, you have a huge, unfair advantage over the AI.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:47 AM   #31
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
Check this out, Orcin, MizzouRah and Jason....I got so sick of having to deal with the ridiculous finances of the Royals in Challenge Mode I just started a current STL franchise.

Made wild card in 18 but holy cow what an abundance of cash.

The team as of Opening Day 2019:

my 2018 Royals stunk (I got the #2 draft pick for 2019) but I was able to get to 82-80 in 2019 and 2020 is looking good for playoffs, as of the all-star break
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #32
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm on a 10 game winning streak, 7 1/2 games out of a WC spot with 45 games left. Just beat the Royals 18-0 behind a 3 hit CG from Martinez who is such a streaky pitcher for me. Donaldson was 4-6 with 8 RBI. Having him for a full season next year is going to be fun to watch.

My catcher spot was the only spot in the lineup that was weak as Molina has fallen off the Earth and the guy I got in a trade earlier was hitting 0.200. So, I pulled up this catcher from AA (forget his name) and he's around 0.400 to start his MLB career.

You guys ever pull up a player straight from AA?
Old 04-23-2018, 12:23 PM   #33
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
You guys ever pull up a player straight from AA?
I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I can't remember doing it. The Cardinals say that they consider AA and AAA to be roughly equal, so I guess we should also.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:32 PM   #34
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I can't remember doing it. The Cardinals say that they consider AA and AAA to be roughly equal, so I guess we should also.
True... I'll post his info tonight.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:00 PM   #35
rink23
Hall Of Famer

A big key toward my fast start has been the play of two minor league middle infielders.
On May 11, I lost shortstop Paul DeJong to an injury which forced me to put him on the 10-day disabled list.
Four days later, I lost middle infielder Greg Garcia to an injury also forcing him to the 10-day DL.
Needing middle infield depth, I brought up shortstop Tommy Edman to replace DeJong and middle infielder Alex Mejia to replace Garcia.
I figured they'd be up for that short period -- I'd play them a little to see what they could do -- and then return them to the minors when DeJong and Garcia were healthy.
In the 17 games since June 11, my season is at June 1, I went 12-5.
Edman, who I just threw into the No. 2 spot, has batted .367 BA/.418 slg./.500 OBP with a homer nine runs scored and 13 RBIs in 15 games (all starts).
Mejia has batted .371/.385/.571 with a homer, seven RBIs and four runs scored in 15 games (nine starts) while batting either seventh or eighth.
Safe to say, I did not send either player back to Memphis when DeJong and Garcia became healthy -- Tyler O'Neill replaced DeJong, while Garcia went to Memphis -- I have not been able to get them out of the lineup.
I have seen rookie call ups go on tears when initially reaching the majors, but never like this. I almost feel like I am cheating the game, as Edman is hardly considered a prospect (Viva El Birdos calls him a potential Aaron Miles type player) while the real Mejia has shown very little in his few chances he has had in the majors.
I was just wondering though, anyone else seen this or have I stumbled onto the next (all-be-it without the power number) Pujols?

Last edited by rink23; 04-23-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:08 PM   #36
Galeg
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigZagMan View Post
I'm currently running the 2018 Cardinals and the bullpen has been atrocious despite individuals having solid ratings. I swear Holland gives up a homer every time he pitches.
Not playing as the Cardinals, but in my save I picked Holland up as a FA (or maybe I traded for him, can't recal how long his contract is) for the 2019 season and he was just awful.
Galeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:17 PM   #37
ZigZagMan
Minors (Double A)

How is Ozuna doing for you guys? For me he has an OBP of .299 and only two HRs and it's June 7th. I keep waiting for the bat to heat up but he's just not getting going.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:30 PM   #38
rink23
Hall Of Famer

My version of Marcell Ozuna is playing fairly well with a slash line of .278/.340/.542 with 15 homers and 37 RBIs.
I moved him to the No. 3 spot around the start of May.
Matt Carpenter is playing like the real version of Matt Carpenter .222/.340/.350 with three homers and 14 RBIs.
With Erdman and Mejia playing so well, and also both being much better defenders, I am only starting him against right-handers and that's not on an every day basis.
The player who has carried the team is Dexter Fowler. He is batting .319/.458/.622 with 11 homers and 35 RBIs.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #39
ZigZagMan
Minors (Double A)

I'm getting very impatient with this team. It looked like things were finally starting to take off as I was three games above .500 and getting great starting pitching. Then they lost five in a row to the Reds and Padres, with the bullpen blowing two games and the offense going ice cold.

Might be about time to shake things up.

---

I did: I pulled the trigger on my first big-league trade of the season. Turns out Jedd Gyorko was unhappy with his lack of playing time with Wilmer Flores (acquired on waivers in May) filling his role so I dealt him in a package to the rebuilding White Sox for Joakim Soria and Luis Avilan. The bullpen looks a lot better not depending on Greg Holland and Brett Cecil in high-leverage situations. Hopefully getting a sullen Gyorko out of the locker room gives the offense a little boost.

Last edited by ZigZagMan; 04-23-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:04 AM   #40
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The catcher I brought up from AA is Jeremy Martinez.

Won 11 straight, then lost and just beat Atlanta, 12-1 last 13 games. We are 59-60 and have a chance to finally get to 0.500 after 120 games. We are 6.5 games out of a Wildcard spot but I'm hopeful we can get there.

Zach Britton is 25-25 in save opportunities and I just locked him up for 2020.

The good thing is, the locker room is happy.. we went from Molina being the sole leader to like 4 leaders now. Good thing too as this off season I need to unload Waino.

Last edited by MizzouRah; 04-24-2018 at 01:06 AM.