Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

View Poll Results: What Does Your Universe Look Like?
Just MLB 22 10.73%
MLB & All International Leagues? 26 12.68%
MLB & Some International Leagues 12 5.85%
Fictional 104 50.73%
Historical 41 20.00%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2018, 01:15 AM   #41
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunnelrunner View Post
Looking at the poll, I had no idea how outnumbered Historical Players are by Fictional Players.

I can definitely see the appeal of Fictional Leagues (the whole "Sim City" aspect and all) but I'm drawn to real life superstars (Trout, Ken Griffey Jr., Frank Thomas, etc.) and the MLB franchises. There's just something about controlling the real thing. YMMV. That's what makes OOTP Baseball the best sports game on the planet; the only limit to how you can play the game is your own imagination.
it's a bit misleading though..

technically speaking, a real 2018 league is 'fictional' according to that poll, but it at least has some elements of historic play too. it should be its own category, then maybe no one has a majority 51%+. it is a mix of historical and fictional elements. unless you play 20years, it's mostly real players for most of that time too.

i would venture to say most or at least a larger portion of people play with real players -- or they wouldn't pay for the license.

so that healthy chunk of players who play with real 2018mlb players, it could sway the majority of that poll to historical dominant.

if anyone prefers to follow the herd, it may not be where you perceive it to be
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:16 PM   #42
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Historical with historical players, but it's random debut, so there's time travel involved, so doesn't that make it kinda fictional? I use 1984 for my stats and strategy settings for all seasons, and start in 1901. Love the random debut. I don't think I'd play any other way.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:49 PM   #43
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I'm playing a 12 team league in which every single player is named Tom Sawyer.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:02 AM   #44
SSG Troyer
All Star Starter

2x3x6 fictional, same Federal Baseball League I always run.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:21 PM   #45
jtnlange
Minors (Triple A)

Well up to 1934

16 team USBL

Cuban League
Mexican League
Australian League
Puerto Rico League
Netherlands League
2 independant US Leagues

Added 52 team HS feeder league for USBL and in the process of adding in 300 team College feeder league. Getting all the uniforms and logos set, should only take about 3 days at the rate I am going.

Only minors to add next year for USBL then 20 more leagues by 1980, then we are off and running.

Trevor L.
jtnlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:33 PM   #46
pgconboy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

As of now I am using all time historical rosters. Dropped players to FA then deleted 4 teams and held a fantasy draft. Year is the default 2014.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:27 PM   #47
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

Started in 1871 with real teams and players. Now in 1879. Checking out the new expanded 19th Century play.

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:44 PM   #48
Charley575
All Star Reserve

Currently MLB setup with all minor leagues, but fictional players. Started with a draft.
Charley575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:37 AM   #49
Lafayette53
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Did you attend Lafayette College?
Nope, but I took my username from the same guy
Lafayette53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:44 AM   #50
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette53 View Post
Nope, but I took my username from the same guy
ok...I was asking because I lived four blocks away from the college...growing up. Spent a lot of time there and know many of the people.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:05 AM   #51
CaseIH
Bat Boy

My Franchise consist of MLB and all the other baseball leagues in the world. I prefer to everything to be realistic, so I dont really have any desire to make a fictional world, with fictional teams and players.

I have considered starting a Historical Franchise, and start from the either the 1970's Reds, or start with the 1990's Reds. I haven decided if I want to do that. I guess my only question would be, if I do a historical Franchise, will I have all real players, from those times in the MILB, and will all drafts have the real life players in those drafts, in the yrs they were drafted IRL? If someone could let me know on that, I would appreciate it. As it would be fun, to see how the seasons would play out compared to what they did IRL, and where players would fall in the draft, compared to where they did IRL.
CaseIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:29 AM   #52
slic1149
Major Leagues

I will play a twenty five year career as Mgr/GM. This time I am starting with the 1973 Royals. I always play a twenty five year career with a historical league. I like picking a starting year and team I am interested in and then building a dynasty. It takes me about a month to play a full twenty five year career.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:04 AM   #53
andjbock
Hall Of Famer

Standard MLB world, but with fictional players.

Most international leagues.

1 experimental independent league (40 man active rosters, no transactions allowed, players can be sold to MLB. All players on 1 year deals. Fantasy draft each year the day after the MLB draft).
andjbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #54
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Fictional-historical mode, which is the way I prefer to play the game like 99% of the time. It's fictional in that all of the players, coaches, and scouts are fictional and historical in that all of the franchises, minor league affiliates (well, down to I think A level - there are a TON of minor leagues in 1946!), stadiums, uniforms, etc. are from real life.

I've currently gone back to what I was doing a few years ago, which is playing in "god mode" and then doing the Eugene Church method of playing out all the games, by which I mean I sim them to the 7th and then make all the decisions from there. At that, all I'm doing, really, is making substitutions. The game seems to have gotten pretty good about strategy and in the era I'm playing in - currently 1946 - everything is pretty station-to-station anyway. Mostly I'm doing this as an excuse to watch the game in awesomely awesome 3D on my 4k monitor whilst listening to/semi-watching the real life baseballs on my secondary screen.

Otherwise, I make all GM decisions for my teams, including trades, which I do based on actual trades. For example, I see that on April 18, 1946, the Braves traded Max West to the Reds for Jim Konstanty and cash. What I do then on April 18th of my game is I set up Cincy to trade off their best relief pitcher and get in return a who can start / fill a need for the Reds at a power position (Ed West was a starting 1B/LF for the Braves IRL). The war makes this a little wonkier than normal (Ed West IRL. for example, had missed 3 years due to the war and was not very good when Cincinnati took him on but I made that deal based on what the Reds thought they were getting). I also have teams draft in the actual order, not the reverse order, that they finished IRL 5 years later (so that in '46 it'll be based on the 1951 season, with the Yankees getting the first pick and the Browns with the last). On top of *that*, when I did this in the deadball era (haven't imported that league into 19 yet) I manually added in fictional versions of super-outstanding debut players in part because there isn't really enough separation between the good and the great players during that period of time. Not sure if I'll do that going forward. In any case, all of this has the tendency to make the Yankees play like the Yankees, the Browns like the Browns, and so on without putting the game *too* far on rails.

As you might have guessed I prefer watching a league play out and kind of feeling the experience of what the game "felt like" during a given era to trying to turn a bad team around or what have you.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:29 PM   #55
Beatles Eternally
Minors (Double A)

Strictly one season type historical leagues so:

1991 Bucs, 1967 Red Sox, A Great Teams using 1949 as a baseline, and All Time Greats.

I am doing 1902 and 1934 on other sims until the vintage ball parks are available for OOTP.

I have a gazillion to the googolplex power ideas for leagues I want to run on OOTP.
Beatles Eternally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:42 PM   #56
drhay53
Major Leagues

Fictional league started in OOTP16. Manually set every team logo and nickname after random teams were generated. Where the name makes sense, the theme of the team names is astronomy. The league is the "Cosmological Baseball League" with the 2 leagues being the Milky Way (MW) and Andromeda (M31).

Both leagues have DH, and I play with somewhat-high TCR, sped-up development, and slowed-down decline, with realistic injuries. I also have a 26-man roster because with the DH I don't like the way the AI manages the shorter bench.

5 levels of minors, AAA, AA, A, SA and R. DH is off in the minors to force players to play a defensive position.

Hall of Fame settings are pretty restrictive; I want to remember all of the players that end up in there. I'm in 2034 so people are just starting to get inducted. I love that time of the offseason.

For Playoffs, I went back to 1 wild card club, and set the first round to 7 games. I don't like the 5-game divisional series.

I watch every game as GM of a rich club. However I do set the lineups and pitching staff. OOTP16 was my first time in the game, so I took an 'easy' club. Now I'm attached and don't feel like leaving. We've made the playoffs all 18 years of the league, 17 of which winning the division, and we've won 8 World Series. My career record as GM is 1891-1118, for a 0.628 winning percentage. Baseball is random and hard enough that it's not boring. Some years I win 105 games, and lose in the divisional round. Some years I scrape out 90 wins and win the world series. Every year and every player are unique for me.
drhay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:38 PM   #57
Aumakua
Major Leagues

Historical Fiction?

started in 1900, 16 teams, full integration, 1940 stats altered a bit (so HR leader between 20-30 for early 1900s). Fictional players but adding 1-3 historical stars every year (including negro league and Japanese stars from early era). Keeps the game interesting with names you know but a big surprise factor in most of the league being fictional. Full college feeder system, players only coming from college (more to control it and have it sort of like NFL, NBA where they all have college backgrounds, although its odd to see Shoeless Joe Jackson in college). Eventually it becomes World Baseball League with teams in Europe and Asia, AAA expanding that more with one league being in Asia and another just in Europe. Keeping league to a reasonable size, so small market teams start losing franchise to big market foreign cities.
Aumakua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:01 AM   #58
dtizzle
Minors (Triple A)

2 leagues. My historical from 18 which is currently in 1946

But could not resist a modern day league with all the other leagues that you can add. I enjoy seeing people Move around and ex mlbers heading off to Korea and Japan. Have already added the Arizona fall league and my custom oklahoma winter league for some fall and winter action. College and high school feeders. Might try to tweak Cuban league so maybe some of those dudes can come to US

Was just exploring so far but did see some of the independent leagues were not running full rosters yet so maybe they will pickup some of the free agents. One league in particular the pacific independent has empty rosters so will see what they do.

Exciting stuff. Also might try to add another international league with no players (probably one of the features that excites me most) and see what happens. Maybe Jose Bautista will resurface in Botswana? So cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dtizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:20 AM   #59
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Modern day fictional league called the ABL, which stands for the Atlantic Baseball League. Based in Eastern Canada the league is midway through it's 5th season. Started with 8 teams but now has expanded to 12 teams. 66 game season. Everyone plays everyone 6 times. (3 at home 3 on the road) 8 teams make the playoffs, best of 7 series all the way through. One minor league.

The teams are

Halifax Schooners
Dartmouth Dynamo
Stephenville Jets
St. John's Fog Devils
Truro Stars
Bridgewater Bombers
Charlottetown Islanders
Yarmouth Gold Sox
Sydney Tigers
Fredericton Heat
Beford Bears
Moncton WildCats
Attached Images

Last edited by krownroyal83; 04-06-2018 at 09:22 AM.
krownroyal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #60
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH View Post
My Franchise consist of MLB and all the other baseball leagues in the world. I prefer to everything to be realistic, so I dont really have any desire to make a fictional world, with fictional teams and players.

I am curious as to how things are working out for you using this format? Do you find the international leagues too be daunting in that you might have foreigners overtaking staff jobs such as managers, coaches, GM etc...

Do you find the amount of players finding their way to the MLB to be a realistic amount, and no different than if you were choosing to generate international free agents instead?

I assume you have Cuba included in your universe, yet Cuba cannot produce any players which can be signed by other leagues. (by default) How do you deal with this situation, or do you even pay attention to it?
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote