Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #21
JaBurns
All Star Starter

The simple fact of the almost limitless ways that you can setup this game makes it a “no brainer” decision for me, I am so enthralled with this game that I always order two copies one for my desktop, one for my laptop.
The ~ $100 Cdn I spend for the copies repays me easily with the hours of enjoyment, learning, and entertainment received from my leagues.

This does not include the things I learn and ideas I get from the Forums. The mods and historical sections are two of favourites. Then there are the people in this organization, including the beta testers, all of whom seem to have a great attitude with regards to customer service.

Unless something drastically changes I will continue to support the OOTP development team for the foreseeable future it represents one of my biggest returns from a modest investment.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #22
swoboda
All Star Starter

The OOTP track record here = buy each year unless it is financially difficult for you to do so.
I can only think of one year in the past dozen where I felt disappointed.

The late great Lindsey Nelson
Old 02-11-2018, 02:51 PM   #23
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs2016 View Post
From reading about new additions seems to me its just an updated roster and 3D graphics tweak. So why SHOULD i invest in this game?
The new scouting system and being able to vote for end of season awards are the two big reasons for me to buy the game.

The new tournament stuff also looks interesting, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how the 3D graphics have been 'tweaked.'

And as I'm primarily a fictional player, having 800 fictional logos included in the game will be pretty cool too.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Old 02-11-2018, 02:57 PM   #24
joejccva71
Minors (Double A)

For me it's the AI on both yours and opposing team managers and gm's. The AI can get pretty bad at times. I like to play just the GM and let the manager do the lineups, rotations and strategies. But often times the AI will put mediocre players in a lineup over players that are batting very well, getting on base and getting HR's. I always make sure to set the depth chart and make it so subs are only if "player gets tired" but nonetheless the AI will play the weaker player sometimes. It's mind boggling.

The AI is really a huge deal for me.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #25
smiller
Major Leagues

Quibbling about the price is ridiculous. You can easily spend more than that for a dinner that lasts less than two hours. Compare that to the hundreds of hours you play this game. Secondly, the game is always much more than a roster update. 3-D improvements alone make it worthwhile.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #26
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I will buy 19 because i know the ootp team does listen and they try their best
to put out a great game. If its not that great i know they will try harder and there are many things one could waste 40 bucks on in one year.

But if the historical expansion is still messed up when going from a custom expansion to automatic expansion i will delete it and go back to 17.
In 18 when using a custom league the game will fold every team and create new teams even if the teams were not expansion teams. For example in a custom historical league with all the correct teams for the NL, i turn on auto expansion and all but one team is seen as an expansion team. I use the same team abbreviations as the game does.

I have the Chicago Orphans in 1899. The game should not create another Chicago Orphans for 1900. Seems to happen if you create your own league setup from 1871-1900.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:49 PM   #27
slic1149
Major Leagues

OOTP is a game that requires patience, and a love for either baseball or simulation games, or both. It can be overpowering but the forum and simply experimenting with all of the options will help you learn how to enjoy the game. For myself, OOTP is more of a hobby than a computer game. In fact I have often said that treating it more like a toy instead of a game, when starting out, will help you get past the initial size and scope of OOTP.

The biggest drawback to OOTP is it's also it's biggest draw. It can be a tremendous time sink. This is a game that you will still be discovering new things about even after playing for a decade or longer. If you enjoy historical baseball it is possible to start a game at any time in history. Finally, the game is constantly evolving. If you like it you will almost assuredly make it a yearly investment.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #28
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

I’m a big historical player, and it seems like those of us who play different types of historical seemed to have the most issues with 18.

However, I’ve just come to think of it like this: if you had showed me the current version of OOTP when I was a kid, I would have been completely blown away. It’s literally like a dream come true for the kid version of me, who would’ve given anything to realistically try to manage or gm any team from history. This game has given me so many hours of fun in my life and I’ve basiclaly just decided to buy every new version to support the people who made this possible. If there aren’t a ton of updates and supporting the gang is all that happens, I can live with that

Last edited by Jerry Helper; 02-11-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #29
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Why buy OOTP 19? For me, the answer to this question is a no-brainer. I don't think I've ever played any version of OOTP for less than one thousand hours. The price, therefore, is almost negligible considering the number of hours each year I both invest in and enjoy playing OOTP. By contrast, there are literally dozens of games that I've paid upwards of $60 for over the years on Steam, the PlayStation Network, and Xbox Live that I ended up either barely touching or playing for a fraction of the time that I've played each individual version of OOTP for.

I've never played any version of OOTP and felt that Markus & co merely slapped on a new coat of paint on the previous version and resold it as something new. While all the new features and refinements I'd like to see added most to the game on any particular year may not always make the final cut, there's never been a "been there, done that" feel to any new version of OOTP that I've ever played. After all, this isn't EA we're discussing here, right?
Old 02-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #30
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

This is a serious question: I love the game. I will continue to buy it.

How do you guys rack up 1000 - 2000 + hours in the game. I once went on vacation for a couple of weeks and left a game on in Steam. I came back and it showed 350 hours in the sucker. I mean, that's 24 hours a day for over two weeks it was just running. How do y'all actually play the game for 2000 hours!!??!!

Jinkies!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2018, 04:42 PM   #31
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
This is a serious question: I love the game. I will continue to buy it.

How do you guys rack up 1000 - 2000 + hours in the game. I once went on vacation for a couple of weeks and left a game on in Steam. I came back and it showed 350 hours in the sucker. I mean, that's 24 hours a day for over two weeks it was just running. How do y'all actually play the game for 2000 hours!!??!!

Jinkies!!!!!!!
Over the course of an entire year it is most assuredly possible.

Last edited by Caporegime; 02-11-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:44 PM   #32
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
No dating and social or sex life its possible for people to do that. I can put in maybe a 100 hours a year

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Old 02-11-2018, 05:02 PM   #33
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
No dating and social or sex life its possible for people to do that. I can put in maybe a 100 hours a year
Spoken like someone who obviously isn't married. You don't get to have any of those things when you're married, hence more time to play OOTP.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:10 PM   #34
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

I’m married. LOL.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:39 PM   #35
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

I bet padreman over the years on occasion with various versions has the most hours on OOTP as there are several of us who have too much free time on our hands we play this game to keep us occupied I have a lot of hours too I think I am up to 1500 now for this version as I stopped doing Iracing.com for a year.

Out of curiousity it be interesting to see who has the most hours on OOTP 18 and a new thread should be made to see
Old 02-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #36
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

If 1000 in a year isn't the top, then it clearly has to be someone with no job and no wife/kids, a severe vitamin D deficiency and skin as pale as the wind driven snow.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #37
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

There's the question of how much idle time people have with the game on. I know of people who not only do not shut down their PC when they go to bed, they leave their frickin' game running. Because it's important to save those two minutes in the morning or whatever...

I am averaging about 700 hours of OOTP per year judging by how long the Raccoons have been going (since May '12). It's two hours a day on average. Some people walk their dog, I walk my Coons. And I've held a job for all but three months of that period of time.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:49 PM   #38
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Buy it or don't buy it. No skin off my nose either way. All I know is...Why should I have to see a variation of this thread. Every. Single. Year? It gets kinda dull after a while. And I still haven't pre-ordered yet. I may order OOTP19 and I may not, but you can be damn sure I won't start a thread asking the good people of this forum why I should buy the best baseball sim on the planet. This is coming from someone who has had issues with both of the last two versions (I'm a historical random debut player, and I've found the stats to be a bit "hot" the last two versions i.e. too many super duper individual seasons for my taste), and finds that OOTP16 is his sweetspot. We should start another countdown thread...Counting down the days until the "Why should I buy OOTP20 or OOTPXX?" thread makes its debut on the OOTP forums. I guarantee you that it's coming in less than 365 days. Like clockwork.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #39
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Wow, I have almost too much to say on the subject, but I'll try to keep it semi-brief

First, we really weren't able to show off the features we're most excited about when we released the newsletter. That being the new in-game screen as well as the new player models and improved stadiums. If you'd seen the updated 3d graphics and the new in-game environment, I don't think you'd still describe it as a 'tweak'!

There have been major changes there and the in-game screen and the 3d look awesome this year. Everyone that's seen it so far has been blown away by it. We didn't want to show it while it was still being worked on and just give you a mockup or something. We really want you to see it in all its glory, and soon! If you play out any games in 3d, I'm confident you'll seriously consider buying the game for that alone, even if the other features feel underwhelming to you.

On rosters, saying "rosters can be updated in OOTP18..." massively undersells what you actually get. Sure you can do that in OOTP18 if you mean that you can spend a few hours moving MLB players around and updating a few ratings. If that's all we did each year, I agree it wouldn't be much of a selling point. It's not though. That may be what you get in some other companies roster updates, but not in ours.

Every year we add thousands of new players to the roster set who have signed with MLB teams. Hundreds of them you've never even heard of before unless you work for a Major League team or something, and maybe not even then. Do you know Jhosmer Alvarez or Rolfy Vargas? We do! Would they be in a OOTP18 roster mod? They're in OOTP19. Probably no one would notice if we didn't include them. But we try our best to get to everyone, no matter how obscure, because we really care about you having the most value for your money and by far the best roster update possible.

We also add and update thousands of real draft prospects for the next 4-5 years of drafts in-game. Stats and updates for Indy Leagues and international leagues? The new amateur free agent signings in the KBO or ***? All in the update.

There's no way any fan created mod for OOTP18 is going to have a tiny fraction of what we include in OOTP's rosters. Even just creating a halfway decent bare-bones roster update for OOTP18 would probably take you 10-15 hours. If that's the case, why not just buy OOTP19 (at a cost of like $2-3 per hour saved), get the benefit of our thousands of hours of work, and spend that time actually playing the game or doing something else you enjoy?

Now the roster update might not matter to some of you, and that's totally understandable! Maybe you just play fictional leagues. But if it does matter to you, it's a very good reason to buy OOTP19.

Another thing is that we improve tons of stuff each year that we don't really mention, or that gets compressed into one or two sentences in the previews.

Improved AI for example, might not sound like much on its own, or it might just sound like fluff. But we put tons of work into improving the ai each year. Matt in particular does so much there. And while we don't have the time or space to detail all the improvements made, you can be confident they are there. If you doubt it, just load up a copy of OOTP12 and then OOTP18 and look at all the ways 18 plays better and is improved. So it's true that incremental changes are not sexy, and are occasionally unnoticeable but they do add up over time. Buying the game each year helps us to put even more time and effort into that, and then the incremental changes can become less incremental and more impactful year to year.

Speaking of which, you are supporting us with your purchase as some already mentioned. Now that could be a lame reason, and if we were releasing a half-baked new version just to get the cash like some companies do, it wouldn't even be worth mentioning. But we've put as much work and as much good stuff as ever into the the game this year. Probably more!

It's always tough to decide what new features to include and what to save for another year. So even if the features you're most hoping to see didn't show up this year, we do need the support from folks buying the game to have the resources to add in even more features next year. And the features next year might be just what you're looking for!

If everything still seems underwhelming to you, we're not saying you should buy the game just to support us and for no other reason. We don't want you to buy a product you'll be unhappy with or disappointed in just to "support" us! But if you're on the fence, and you just aren't sure what to do, that might be enough to tip the scale slightly in the direction of buying the game. So I mention it for what it's worth.

So is that enough to get you to invest in the game? Only you can answer that. Speaking for myself but also Markus, Andreas, Matt, Jorin, Daniel, Chris, Rich, T.J. and everyone else at OOTP Developments, we really hope the answer is in the affirmative!

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 02-12-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:10 PM   #40
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Heh, I've always wondered what "semi-brief" means, and now I know! Thanks, Lukas.

- Bru

Closed Thread