Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:04 AM   #1
Anyone
Major Leagues

Why do curveballs tend toward making a pitcher reverse platoon?

I think this is new this year, and it doesn't make sense.

1) A curveball isn't always a 12-6 pitch (straight drop); through most of baseball history it usually curved out at least a little, less than a slider with more drop than a slider; but some. There's been more belief recently that a straight drop is more desirable, but even that would then be an "equal platoon" pitch, not reverse.

2) If curveballs didn't tend to increase the platoon advantage, but tended to be reverse platoon, the much harder on the arm screwball wouldn't have been invented to be a reverse platoon pitch, spinning the opposite way as a curve.
Anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:58 AM   #2
CBeisbol
Banned

This is the most recent information I can, easily, find

Quote:
As both Allen and Walsh showed in the past, it’s the fastballs and the sliders that have the highest platoon splits, with curveballs and change-ups being neutral to batter handedness (sometime even showing a minimal reverse split)
https://tht.fangraphs.com/platoon-splits-20/
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Turn commissioner mode on and go into that player's editor.

long story short -- CB is fairly even split vsL or vsR. so, it helps reduce L/R bias within the repertoire. Stuff is considered as an overall value when it is used. each individual pitch type influences that value, but it's still "1" value used for an entire PA vs that particular batter's ratings etc etc..

go play around with changing that CB to a slider, if possible... whatever split there is, it'll get worse -- favoring vs. same hand as higher value. right? sliders aren't as effective against the opposite handed batter. it makes the split worse.

add a CB to that sldier, it evens it out a bit.

so, it's simply a combination of the pitch types that add up to an overall split. this creats teh disparity of stuff used vs L or R batters in a PA in addition to the batter's split ratings.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:47 AM   #4
Anyone
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
Turn commissioner mode on and go into that player's editor.
That's actually how I found out that curveballs are reverse platoon, is through the player editor. Add a curveball and the pitchers' stuff ratings move toward reverse platoon.

Sliders absolutely generate big platoon splits in the "normal" direction for the pitcher's handedness, etc..
Anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:33 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

by it's self its very very slightly weighted toward same hand...

e.g. you put in "200" and even out move and control, and stuff will be "1" off in editor - something small, but basically even.

it won't be any crazy surprises for most, but it's worth a look.

i prefer my SP to have at least 2 pitches that are good against righties, and 2 vs. lefties of their 3 pitches... this is why i've always like a well-rated CB. it counts against both requirements. if i have to pick, it won't be a 2vL 1vR type, and sometimes even with a bad split, it's a good vsL pitch.

there are 2x as many rightes or more, right? favor it. account for lefties in the bullpen, since it's more situational.

FB/SL is a scary RP, unless they are elite. even those elite, i stay away from that type of RP if they underperform at all. before you lose club control, you typically know with a few mistakes here and there whom to keep. anyway, if not elite, they are extremely volatile, because they get absolutely hammered by lefties.

Last edited by NoOne; 10-14-2019 at 09:35 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote