Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:13 AM   #21
Maddox
All Star Reserve

I will probably stagger my three teams in 20. Create a team (most likely modeled after my most successful team in 19) and when that reaches it's peak and is kind of stagnant (not advancing and not earning enough points to upgrade quickly) I will create a second team.

What I will not do this year is create a team themed around a real life team. I tried that with the Cardinals in 19 and there is just not enough depth to get much above gold. The relief options are also really bad.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #22
webdox
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
I will probably stagger my three teams in 20. Create a team (most likely modeled after my most successful team in 19) and when that reaches it's peak and is kind of stagnant (not advancing and not earning enough points to upgrade quickly) I will create a second team.

What I will not do this year is create a team themed around a real life team. I tried that with the Cardinals in 19 and there is just not enough depth to get much above gold. The relief options are also really bad.
I agree on the team based theme teams or the theme team in general. I had terrible results. I gobbled up all the Futures (ohtani, guerrero, acuna jr, mize, etc) and could not compete past gold level with them. Some of the players did okay past gold individually but as a team no dice.

My Tigers theme team has every possible card including the 100 Cobb and they don't compete well either past Gold.

I am leaning toward the all Great Lakes team if I ever try to theme up again so I can include Cleveland, Chicago, Toronto, and also include Buffalo Bisons, Cleveland Blues and Spiders, Detroit Wolverines (gotta have Brouthers)....... That should make for a more competitive team at the highest level.
webdox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #23
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:

I'll probably stagger when I start playing the teams, but will start all 3 on day 1 to rack up PP while they're just sitting there.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #24
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
I'll probably stagger when I start playing the teams, but will start all 3 on day 1 to rack up PP while they're just sitting there.
I had not thought of that. not a bad idea.

I was actually think waiting a little time before actively building my team to let more cards enter the market and let those early inflated, prices die down a little.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #25
atabakin
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
I don't know why I didn't think of that! I'll probably start my main team on day 1, then the other two on the following Monday for max time in entry pool.
atabakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #26
daveh2018
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabakin View Post
I don't know why I didn't think of that! I'll probably start my main team on day 1, then the other two on the following Monday for max time in entry pool.
^^ This ^*

All F2P to start (one on Day One, other two on 1st Monday) with cash infusion down the line of $100 on the best of the three.

May do one theme as a NL only, pack only squad.
daveh2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:04 PM   #27
Mizzery
Minors (Single A)

Quote:

I found with team based theme teams, the optimal solution is to combine two or more franchises to overcome the card limitations of any one franchise.

In 19, I have a combined Cardinals-Reds team that has gotten to diamond level, even without any historical diamond level cards on the team. I also have a combined all-time Marlins and Rays Florida themed team, which is about as thin as you can get from player options, and that has been competitive at the Gold level.

One benefit of themed teams for me, beyond the pure challenge of it, is that it reduces the entire universe of cards to a more manageable targeted level, helps me keep more focused when planning auction house strategy.
Mizzery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:37 PM   #28
daveh2018
Minors (Double A)

Have also thought about a theme team based only on teams/cities from the NL East, including those who previously were in the NL East but are now in the NL Central.

Or, only guys I had on my fantasy baseball team.
daveh2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:40 PM   #29
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzery View Post
I found with team based theme teams, the optimal solution is to combine two or more franchises to overcome the card limitations of any one franchise.

In 19, I have a combined Cardinals-Reds team that has gotten to diamond level, even without any historical diamond level cards on the team. I also have a combined all-time Marlins and Rays Florida themed team, which is about as thin as you can get from player options, and that has been competitive at the Gold level.

One benefit of themed teams for me, beyond the pure challenge of it, is that it reduces the entire universe of cards to a more manageable targeted level, helps me keep more focused when planning auction house strategy.
And they keep you from just having the same players on each of your teams
OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:05 PM   #30
2002halos
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdox View Post
I agree on the team based theme teams or the theme team in general. I had terrible results. I gobbled up all the Futures (ohtani, guerrero, acuna jr, mize, etc) and could not compete past gold level with them. Some of the players did okay past gold individually but as a team no dice.

My Tigers theme team has every possible card including the 100 Cobb and they don't compete well either past Gold.

I am leaning toward the all Great Lakes team if I ever try to theme up again so I can include Cleveland, Chicago, Toronto, and also include Buffalo Bisons, Cleveland Blues and Spiders, Detroit Wolverines (gotta have Brouthers)....... That should make for a more competitive team at the highest level.
Yeah, the Great Lakes idea is worth trying.

Theme teams can work if you are creative.

For example, I ran an Angels based theme team, but I knew that as an expansion franchise they wouldn't have enough to compete, despite some very good cards like Trout, Ohtani and Simmons.

So I decided that eligible players would not only include any player who played for the Angels, but also any other connection. For example, they had a relative that played for the Angels. That lets in guys like Yadier Molina and Guerrero Jr. Or for example, a retired number, thus Jackie Robinson can play on any theme team! Angel coaches and managers, even broadcasters, who played for other teams, also minor leaguers traded before they made the MLB Angels, or players who were in the minor leagues for the PCL LA Angels.... the broader the definition the more possibilities.

And I decided it only had to be a majority, always 13 on the roster with the remaining 12 required to be American-born players. I called them the American Angels. Now that turned out to be too easy. I was able to win a Perfect Level WS with those roster restrictions. I thought it was a decent restriction due to the preponderance of foreign-born players on current rosters, but I didn't realize PT would be dominated by historical cards which are almost all American-born.

So now I've switched to the remaining 12 players required to be connected to California, either born there, or played for a CA-based team in h.s., college, minors or majors.

My new Californian Angels aren't quite as good... giving up Nap Lajoie was the toughest cut. But they've still made the postseason in their first two Perfect Level seasons, although they will miss it this time. And they still have a few cards that I'm eyeing to make them better, although the only ones left are pricey.

Hey, it's your team, so you define your self-imposed restrictions. If you don't like your results, change your rules.

That's all just a long-winded way of saying you can have your theme and championship champagne too!

Last edited by 2002halos; 03-16-2019 at 06:20 PM.
2002halos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:19 AM   #31
Cobbiusto
Minors (Triple A)

I will probably keep the three same type teams as I had in '19. No money spent on points but highly enjoyable even though they really couldn't compete beyond silver or gold.
1. Boone Trail Longhunters - buy and sell on the AH, but this time unlikely to sell much other than duplicates because of all the tournament possibilities.
2. Timeless Tigers - sell all non-Tigers and look for Tigers I can afford on the AH. As others have noted, not going to be competitive at high levels, but a joy to have all these old (and new) greats on the same team.
3. Smith Hollow Hillbillies - only selling duplicates and build the team completely from pack openings as I dreamed of doing as a kid.
Cobbiusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:37 AM   #32
LandiHero
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'm probably going to stick with what I tried last year, but I'm thinking about having some fun theme for my "main" account.
1. My main, all cards allowed, try to make a balanced team that can go far
2. Defense only. Max out every position in defense, then work on improving pitching and getting a super DH.
3. Packs only. I love opening packs, but it's a risk I don't really want to take on my other teams, so I have this one just for that.
LandiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:17 PM   #33
Renfro
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdox View Post
Currently doing this in PT19 and loving it. I had evolved from an all-Milwaukee team that had terrible pitching. Couldn't get out of Silver!

My Great Lakes team is composed of retired players. Initially it was going to be all deceased players but I could only afford one catcher.
Renfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:17 PM   #34
chrisvasey
Minors (Single A)

I'm going to try.....

Team #1 - Caribbean Queens.....only players from Countries in and around the Caribbean....minus the USA...

Team #2 - No Live cards.....open to any players...Team Name TBD

Team #3 - Maybe a TEAM USA....still thinking....OR TEAM CANADA...Jays/Expos....Canadians....not sure I could field a lineup

Last edited by chrisvasey; 03-18-2019 at 07:19 PM.
chrisvasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:06 PM   #35
neugey
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvasey View Post
I'm going to try.....

Team #1 - Caribbean Queens.....only players from Countries in and around the Caribbean....minus the USA...

Team #2 - No Live cards.....open to any players...Team Name TBD

Team #3 - Maybe a TEAM USA....still thinking....OR TEAM CANADA...Jays/Expos....Canadians....not sure I could field a lineup

Team 1 Manager Name has to be set to Billy Ocean!

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:10 PM   #36
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neugey View Post
Team 1 Manager Name has to be set to Billy Ocean!
omg. Well played sir. I am showing my age,
OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:37 AM   #37
Ile
Minors (Double A)

All 3 teams will be F2P, packs only, no other restrictions. I kinda treat it as a spectator/hands off simulation where I open packs, and let the AI set up everything and watch the 3 teams compete against each other. Whoever finishes highest (win pct. decides if there are several teams on the same level) gets 1 point every week. Whoever has the most points when next game gets released wins.

In OOTP19 I had 1 "crap" team that barely made it out of silver. The race between the other 2 was pretty tight, hovering around .500 ball in diamond on average towards the end, where Team 1 had the lead for several weeks, but then Team 2 pulled Trout and then outperformed the other 2 teams every week. So the winner in OOTP19 was Team 2, 2nd place went to Team 1 and then Team 3 on 3rd place.

I'm pretty excited to see if Team 2 can hold on to the title this year.
Ile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:53 AM   #38
Pirates
Major Leagues

Please excuse my ignorance.
How do you get more than 1 team in PP.
Do I need to pay for the additional teams?

Thank you
Pirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:00 AM   #39
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirates View Post
Please excuse my ignorance.
How do you get more than 1 team in PP.
Do I need to pay for the additional teams?

Thank you
You can have up to three teams with your game. Just register with a new username and email address two more times. You just need to login using the three usernames to switch between your teams.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:02 AM   #40
Pirates
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
You can have up to three teams with your game. Just register with a new username and email address two more times. You just need to login using the three usernames to switch between your teams.
Thank you very much.

Can I use my same email for this.
I only have 1 email account.

Last edited by Pirates; 03-19-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Pirates is offline   Reply With Quote