Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Technical Support > Bug Reports Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Bug Reports Forum Have a bug to report? Please post here.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:00 AM   #1
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Please get this fixed before releasing the next version

The AI's "fetish" with pinch hitting for good defensive position players late in games when ahead just because there are runners on base is not realistic and does not properly model how MLB managers use pinch hitters. I see so many times where the AI refuses to pinch hit for the light hitting shortstop in the bottom of the ninth when down by a run or more and then also see the AI pinch hit for these same guys when ahead thus sacrificing defense that it is driving me insane. I don't understand how pinch hitting parameters can be programmed in such a way as to make it more likely to sacrifice defense for offense when you are ahead as opposed to when you are behind.

Note that Grich is also batting 5th in the lineup. I have a sneaking suspicion that there might be worse hitters later in the lineup than Grich that should be pinch hit for long before Grich is.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:39 AM   #2
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Can't you adjust how often the AI pinch hits? Make it less often

Been playing since OOTP '08

Avatar is a picture of me drawn by one of my students a few years ago

(My real name is not Rosco, nor do I live anywhere near Peabody)
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #3
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Not A Bug...

Coach's decision man.

There's no instructions booklets on who should pinch hit for who. Maybe the player that got pinch it for had a contract of so many at-bats & he'll get a bonus, so they cut him 1 at-bat this game. 1 at bat every game could lead up to 162 plate appearances less...No Bonus...I'm just making a silly point like the AI can really tell the difference. In your lineup section you can input if he is to be pinch hit for or not. and inning to do it if you'd like also
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
Drstrangelove
Major Leagues

In my league (settings are default), AL managers pinch hit around 41 times per team in the AL per season. That's 50% of the real AL in 2016 which was 84 times per team. If I wanted something "realistic" that "properly models how MLB managers use pinch hitters", I'd want the rate doubled. (I don't. It's fine by me where it is.) Through August (atm, where my league is), it was 518 PA as a pinch hitter out of a total of 73,000+ in the AL. Not exactly a rate I'd call a fetish.

Umm, so, if your teams are doing the same, you're seeing one player being pinch hit for once every 4 games. Here's a suggestion: go to MLB statistics, select Team Hitting, then do a split for just pinch hitting and post a snap shot of that screen or tell us how many times the AL pinch hits in a season in your league. Of course, I get it. Seeing one player pinch hit in a spot a human wouldn't a couple times, might make it seem like it happens all the time.

Last edited by Drstrangelove; 09-16-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Drstrangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:49 PM   #5
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Peabody View Post
Can't you adjust how often the AI pinch hits? Make it less often
How do i adjust it if tit won't pinch hit for my #9 hitter when behind but will pinch hit for him when ahead. Should I pinch hit more or less often? Also, why did this get moved to the bug forum? This isn't a bug. Or at least this is no more a bug than how awful the AI handles the bullpen. Not happy about this being moved to a place where almost no one will see it.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:51 PM   #6
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers View Post
In your lineup section you can input if he is to be pinch hit for or not. and inning to do it if you'd like also
No you can't. Or if you can I'd love to see a screenshot of that page,

Quote:
Coach's decision man.

There's no instructions booklets on who should pinch hit for who. Maybe the player that got pinch it for had a contract of so many at-bats & he'll get a bonus, so they cut him 1 at-bat this game. 1 at bat every game could lead up to 162 plate appearances less...No Bonus...I'm just making a silly point like the AI can really tell the difference.
I never claimed it was a bug. That was OOTP management decision. However, I don't understand what you are saying. So because there are no instruction booklets on pinch hitting you would find that OOTP models pinch hitting correctly if it started pinch hitting for players in the 1st inning?
Old 09-16-2018, 05:55 PM   #7
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drstrangelove View Post
In my league (settings are default), AL managers pinch hit around 41 times per team in the AL per season. That's 50% of the real AL in 2016 which was 84 times per team. If I wanted something "realistic" that "properly models how MLB managers use pinch hitters", I'd want the rate doubled. (I don't. It's fine by me where it is.) Through August (atm, where my league is), it was 518 PA as a pinch hitter out of a total of 73,000+ in the AL. Not exactly a rate I'd call a fetish.

Umm, so, if your teams are doing the same, you're seeing one player being pinch hit for once every 4 games. Here's a suggestion: go to MLB statistics, select Team Hitting, then do a split for just pinch hitting and post a snap shot of that screen or tell us how many times the AL pinch hits in a season in your league. Of course, I get it. Seeing one player pinch hit in a spot a human wouldn't a couple times, might make it seem like it happens all the time.
I'm not arguing about the frequency of pinch hitting. I'm arguing with a setting that seems to advocate for pinch hitting when ahead but not when behind. What slider or setting do I change to fix that imbalance? And how did it get programmed in that way in the first place. If the slider for pinch hitting worked correctly, you wouldn't see defensive wizards pinch hit for late in games with the lead unless the slider was all the way to the right. And the only setting on that slider that should keep the AI from pinch hitting for my light hitting shorstop when down in the 9th and 2 outs is to have it all the way to the left. So how the heck do I get both of those results? It is illogical.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:46 PM   #8
HonusWagner
All Star Reserve

It's not that kind of sw

Bud, I feel your frustration. However, if you plan on sticking with OO then I suggest you get used to it.

I have spent the last few releases trying to get something that ships with the game (fictional multitiered leagues) to actually work, using various workarounds. No luck, though I think I might be ready to apply for some db admin jobs. I'll just mention "OO" to interviewers and await their mixed looks of fear and awe.

And as you can see, their cust-serv is a very small group of diehards who, I think, are just more or less burnt out from trying to help people navigate through these things.

/ranting here because yet another fictional league workaround has succumbed to years-old broken programming
HonusWagner is online now   Reply With Quote