Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:01 PM   #1
Minors (Double A)

How to base stats/strategy on one year, not evolving

I want to set up my league based on one year and lock it. For example, I don’t like high offensive totals so I would pick a year with low batting average and home runs, then import the stats and strategy from that year and lock it so those stats and strategies are used every year regardless of what happened in real life in any particular year.

Such as the steroids period. If you set the year to 1975, will player stats be on the scale they were in 1975, no 70 homer seasons etc. I want to be able to compare players from different periods based on the same baseline, not have pitcher dominance in the 1960s or steroid inflated hitting in the 1990s. I want whatever was a good batting average in 1975 to be the standard for a good average in any year, same with home runs.
01010010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:48 PM   #2
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I could tried to explain but there’s a good explanation in this thread by actionjackson:http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=286517
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:23 PM   #3
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010010 View Post
I want to set up my league based on one year and lock it. For example, I don’t like high offensive totals so I would pick a year with low batting average and home runs, then import the stats and strategy from that year and lock it so those stats and strategies are used every year regardless of what happened in real life in any particular year.

Such as the steroids period. If you set the year to 1975, will player stats be on the scale they were in 1975, no 70 homer seasons etc. I want to be able to compare players from different periods based on the same baseline, not have pitcher dominance in the 1960s or steroid inflated hitting in the 1990s. I want whatever was a good batting average in 1975 to be the standard for a good average in any year, same with home runs.
Here's the post where I explain how I do it.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #4
warneke
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010010 View Post

It's easy, you just don't check the box that says automatically update historical modifier totals after each season. And you shouldnt check the box Lock totals, especially if you are using a different amount of teams from the number used in the 1975 season.
warneke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:30 PM   #5
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by warneke View Post
It's easy, you just don't check the box that says automatically update historical modifier totals after each season. And you shouldnt check the box Lock totals, especially if you are using a different amount of teams from the number used in the 1975 season.
The second part of this is not true. The game engine uses ratios rather than raw totals to come up with the modifiers. So it takes into consideration the different number of at bats/plate appearances differently configured leagues will have. For example in 1984, there were .043 2B/AB, .007 3B/AB, and .023 HR/AB. Those are the numbers the game engine goes with and regardless of the size of your league, it will attempt to reach those numbers.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:31 AM   #6
edapes
Minors (Single A)

I am not understanding something

So I started a test type league in 1981 and am wanting to base the stats on 1986. So I create the league, get near opening day, and then auto calculate the modifiers to 1986. Fine and dandy results- 1981 players yield 1986 type numbers. Is there anyway to simulate multiple years (5, 10, 20) or do I have to go year by year and do auto recalculate each preseason to get "1986 results" ?

Another unrelated question, do player creation modifiers come into play when importing historic players into the draft pool (first MLB season not, full minors or random debut) ?

Last edited by edapes; 04-22-2018 at 03:01 AM.
edapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #7
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edapes View Post
So I started a test type league in 1981 and am wanting to base the stats on 1986. So I create the league, get near opening day, and then auto calculate the modifiers to 1986. Fine and dandy results- 1981 players yield 1986 type numbers. Is there anyway to simulate multiple years (5, 10, 20) or do I have to go year by year and do auto recalculate each preseason to get "1986 results" ?

Another unrelated question, do player creation modifiers come into play when importing historic players into the draft pool (first MLB season not, full minors or random debut) ?
It depends on how much you want to keep your totals close to 1986 totals. There will always be a bit of statistical variance. That's normal. Some seasons will be hot 1986s, some will be cold 1986s, and some will be bang on.

For best results, I would suggest not using auto-calc, but rather inputting the year "1986" in the appropriate box (Totals from Year I believe) on Game > Game Settings > League Settings > Stats & AI > League Totals page on the day before Opening Day every year. I've found auto-calc runs a bit hot most of the time. As soon as you select "1986" from Totals from Year, the modifiers will change themselves. For best results, yes I would suggest doing this every year.

Whatever you do, don't use the new lock totals feature because that only affects the seven stats categories at the top of the page (H, 2B, 3B, HR, BB, HBP, and K). It does not seem to affect everything below that like HBP, E, BK, WP, SH, SF etc etc. Those categories will match the season you are playing in, which is not bad if you're playing in 1981, but try playing in 1901 with them. Yeesh!

I'm not sure what happens if you run it for 15-20 years because I've never done it, but make sure you leave the auto-update LTMs box unchecked if you do. That way you'll keep the 1986 numbers as a target for the game engine to shoot for.

PCMs are supposedly more for fictional players that you create and bring in, so if you're not using fictionals it doesn't concern you. I tie stats output, strategy settings, and PCMs to my year of choice (1984), and let financials run as they did. I do it this way for PCMs because then I can look at them, and if they are the same, I know that I'm still in 1984.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:11 AM   #8
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post

I'm not sure what happens if you run it for 15-20 years because I've never done it, but make sure you leave the auto-update LTMs box unchecked if you do. That way you'll keep the 1986 numbers as a target for the game engine to shoot for.
I ran several test sims 20-30 years at a time using 1978 and there is a difference in stat output compared to reimporting the settings each year the day before opening day (thanks to Mr. AJ for that tip). Each time about 15 years in HR totals would start to rise.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:32 AM   #9
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster007 View Post
I ran several test sims 20-30 years at a time using 1978 and there is a difference in stat output compared to reimporting the settings each year the day before opening day (thanks to Mr. AJ for that tip). Each time about 15 years in HR totals would start to rise.
No probs Edster007. Just something I stumbled across in my many tinkerings with this game. I'm glad you're going to be able to have 1978 as your year for stats output. Are you doing random debut, or straight historical?
Old 04-25-2018, 11:43 AM   #10
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
No probs Edster007. Just something I stumbled across in my many tinkerings with this game. I'm glad you're going to be able to have 1978 as your year for stats output. Are you doing random debut, or straight historical?
I'm restarting random debut this weekend (have to spend some time on the NHL playoffs after work these days) Since I am really getting close to how I want it I have spent some time going through all the threads here taking screen shots of some the info everyone here shares. It's great info but its in several threads and I don't want to miss a setting this time like I did with adjusting limits for strength/weaken last time.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #11
italyprof
All Star Reserve

I am using 1978 as well for my random debut league which is now in 1978. I have just now unchecked the box that reads "Automatically adjust league totals modifiers for accuracy". Thanks ActionJackson, I did not realize that would become a problem.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:05 PM   #12
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
I am using 1978 as well for my random debut league which is now in 1978. I have just now unchecked the box that reads "Automatically adjust league totals modifiers for accuracy". Thanks ActionJackson, I did not realize that would become a problem.
I just uncheck all of those "auto-update" boxes and manually import my financial settings for the following season on the first day of the offseason every year. That way I can't miss one of those slippery little suckers.