Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #1
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Historical replays and roster limits

As you know, using real lineups with historical replays means no roster limits. I wish we could do something about it, since having 35-55 players available every game is not realistic. The 2017 Mariners, for example, used 37 pitchers during the season. In OOTP19, the M’s, if using real lineups, will have 37 pitchers available every game, as a result. Here’s the question: Has anyone found a workaround? (Or can anyone think of a possible workaround?) I’d like to use roster limits while enabling as-played lineups.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:19 PM   #2
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Just spit-balling here, but short of having a historical txns file that includes 1) injuries, and 2) trips to & from the minors, maybe AI could - at the start of each game - make active 25 (or whatever the active roster limit that the gamer has chosen) of the 35-55 players, based upon first choosing all of the players who played in the game IRL (if that is known & part of the historical lineups file; if not, at least those that were in that day's starting lineup), plus filling out the day's roster with logical choices... For those choices, in order to keep the pitching staff from always having the freshest guys available (which would be unrealistic) AI should add most of the guys who are currently less than 100% rested - the idea being that if a guy is tired, he likely played in a game very recently and it would therefore be realistic to assume that he should be on the active roster.

An ideal solution? No. More-realistic than having 35-55 players on the active roster? Yep.

I'll note that I would not want a historical txns file that included injuries and the ups & downs to & from the minors unless it were an option (so you could still have historical txns without historical injuries and moves to/from the minors.)

I write this from the perspective that I do not use historical lineups. Two main reasons for this are 1) the subject of this thread, and 2) the fact that you'd often have guys on the bench who should actually be in the starting lineup (stars, for example, who are healthy in OOTP but who didn't start in RL because of injury)... Or let's say you have a must-win game #162 in order to make the playoffs. But IRL that team had clinched the day before so they basically started all of their prospects... Doesn't make sense to me.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:37 PM   #3
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I’ll begin with the end. While I understand the problem with the must-win situation, I can live with it since I think it’d be rare. I could also invent a reason in my mind to explain a star player’s absence from the starting lineup. But that’s just me. As for the injury situation, I figured the historical transactions file by now would include injures. I’m not sure if or when it’ll happen. Maybe soon. Maybe never.

I’ve actually enabled roster limits when using real lineups. The AI will make inactive position players active when they’re scheduled to start a game based on the historical transactions file. However, a statistical glitch occurs. The box score displays the player’s year-to-date stats rather than his game stats. Seems to me this is a glitch that could be resolved (though nothing has ever been done with the bug report). The other problem is that the AI will not use pitchers if they’re on the inactive roster. So, these pitchers appear in zero games. Markus or Matt would have to program the AI to correct this issue.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:32 PM   #4
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
As for the injury situation, I figured the historical transactions file by now would include injures. I’m not sure if or when it’ll happen. Maybe soon. Maybe never.
there was talk of that in last years beta testing ... i can't recall who was supposed to be contacted for it to be added or researched but from the looks of it, it didn't happen, for whatever reasons. Maybe this year ???? or not ...... i have no idea what effort or programs would be needed to even accumulate such data little alone get it into the current database.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:35 PM   #5
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Kim Mohan (M's rule) is working on the file, mitchkenn. Last I heard, he's got the data; he just needs to proofread it for duplicates, line by line. Quite a chore.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:59 AM   #6
32koufax
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
As you know, using real lineups with historical replays means no roster limits. I wish we could do something about it, since having 35-55 players available every game is not realistic. The 2017 Mariners, for example, used 37 pitchers during the season. In OOTP19, the M’s, if using real lineups, will have 37 pitchers available every game, as a result. Here’s the question: Has anyone found a workaround? (Or can anyone think of a possible workaround?) I’d like to use roster limits while enabling as-played lineups.
I've often thought about this very subject. I also do replays with Strat and Replay (on the computer) and they have all transactions and rosters identical to real life. Not sure how difficult this would be for OOTP to incorporate, but it does provide more realism to the game. Also, it would be nice to see more of the seasons from the 30s to current, offer real life lefty/ righty breakdowns. For instance, in replaying 1961-- if I have the Yankees Maris at the plate w/ the game hanging in the balance, I am looking for a lefty to replace my righty owing to Maris having very average numbers vs. a southpaw...
32koufax is offline   Reply With Quote