Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > MLB Manager 2018 > MLBM 2018 - General Discussions

MLBM 2018 - General Discussions Talk about MLB Manager 2018, the baseball management game for iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:21 AM   #1
wodi
All Star Reserve

I gotta say

I tried to be optimistic. I tried to tell myself I love this game and even though it will be the same, it is still the game you love, you will still enjoy playing it.

I can't express how dissapointed I am with this new version.

The company keeps touting this shiny new display, which we all know is just to mask the fact that no new features were added, and that's fine, I'd do the same thing if I were OOTP.

The early pictures did look nice, the display seemed like a nice little visual upgrade and I'd just keep playing the game like I usually do.

Now that I'm playing it, I HATE this new display. I'm still relatively young I'd like to think, and I am straining my eyes on my IPhone 7 trying to read the names of the players on my roster and their ratings. The font is WAY TOO SMALL.

Yes, perhaps I have to just get used to it. But the simple fact that the visual display was touted as the big "change", something that you should immediately notice, and I have to get used to it!? The colors and removal of cartoon characters might be nice, but whoever decided this zoomed out view is the way to go, is crazy. Maybe on the Ipad it looks fine, but I can't stand it on my Iphone.

I never though I would say this but, I think I have to just keep playing 16 this year.

So incredibly disappointed, especially after looking forward to this release for 365 days once a massive over haul was promised last year.

Last edited by wodi; 03-30-2017 at 11:22 AM.
wodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Sorry to hear this but unfortunately there is not much I can do.

We already increased the font size a bit today and changed a few colors (e.g. the ratings) to make it a bit easier on the eyes. If that is not enough for you, I fear staying with 2016 is your only option. But luckily it is still a great game, so hopefully you still get enjoyment from this little App.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:37 AM   #3
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Please try again with the upcoming update. We have increased the font size because we already heard this complaint a couple of times. The update will be live in a couple of days at the latest.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:02 PM   #4
wodi
All Star Reserve

I gotta say

I'll always be here to support the game and the company, the game on its own is fantastic and has been since the day I started playing many years ago. You won't find a bigger supporter than me.

I'm just disappointed, that's all, and I will just patiently wait till next year.

In the meantime I of course will continue to try 17 and if it doesn't work out will just keep up with 16.

Last edited by wodi; 03-30-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:41 PM   #5
BirdsontheBat85
Bat Boy

I just joined so I could comment on this game. I've been playing MLBM since 2015 and played a little OOTP back in the day, before I had kids and had more time. Love what you guys have done with the whole thing over the years, but sorry to say I'm with Wodi on this one....extremely disappointed. The new interface is unplayable. I'm having to tap everything repeatedly, the screen scrolling is out of control and the whole dark colors thing just doesn't work. Unless I'm missing something there is still no way to manually remove players from the disabled list. I'm sorry guys, just not impressed and already back to 2016. Figured you would rather hear my opinion in here than bashing the game in the Play Store.
BirdsontheBat85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:45 PM   #6
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

I think GUI´s are always personal taste. I absolutely love the work of Daniel this year but understand that some people have a different taste. As we wrote above, we already submitted a new update with slightly bigger font sizes (which are not that much smaller then 2016), so hopefully it will work better then for you.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:24 PM   #7
KingxX
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodi View Post
I'll always be here to support the game and the company, the game on its own is fantastic and has been since the day I started playing many years ago. You won't find a bigger supporter than me.

I'm just disappointed, that's all, and I will just patiently wait till next year.

In the meantime I of course will continue to try 17 and if it doesn't work out will just keep up with 16.
Same. I've been playing since OOTP 11 or 12, and I'm really disappointed with the fact that there is no new updates this year when we were promised an entire rehaul. That said, this game is still awesome, and I'll still support the developers and buy the new version.

Here's hoping they have some things planned for next year, or at least, mid season. Mid season updates have always been lacking with this game but they would really be appreciated.
KingxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:44 PM   #8
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingxX View Post
Same. I've been playing since OOTP 11 or 12, and I'm really disappointed with the fact that there is no new updates this year when we were promised an entire rehaul
Well, to be fair, we did not promise anything in particular. We said several months ago that we plan to try to convert the OOTP 18 code base into the MLBM project. However, that did not work for several technical reasons. We will try again for next year's release, though. Keep your fingers crossed!
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:58 PM   #9
wodi
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingxX View Post
Same. I've been playing since OOTP 11 or 12, and I'm really disappointed with the fact that there is no new updates this year when we were promised an entire rehaul. That said, this game is still awesome, and I'll still support the developers and buy the new version.

Here's hoping they have some things planned for next year, or at least, mid season. Mid season updates have always been lacking with this game but they would really be appreciated.

Updates throughout the year would be great. I remember when the editor was added it was a huge add.

I personally have listed many small update ideas that I think would help improve the game. I know others have as well.

The overhaul idea was exciting, the problem isn't that it didn't happen, it's that NOTHING happened.

The game has felt the same to me for 3 years now, it NEEDS a full minor league system. You cannot have a career/franchise experience in baseball without it.

I'm not suggesting something so game breaking that these mobile devises can't handle, but the player development has to move beyond a simple list of players like they're just extra players.

I've been saying it for years.

Love the game (MLB manager in general, not 17 just yet), love the company, but if you're next future plan for the game does not include a true minor league system, you're making a mistake.

Clearly this won't happen this year, understandably so, but all I'm saying is if you have a board somewhere with ideas to improve the game, this needs to be at the very top.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:57 PM   #10
Leefoo
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Well, to be fair, we did not promise anything in particular. We said several months ago that we plan to try to convert the OOTP 18 code base into the MLBM project. However, that did not work for several technical reasons. We will try again for next year's release, though. Keep your fingers crossed!
I'd cross my fingers AND toes, but that kinda makes jogging difficult. But hey, if it is for a good cause......

I assume that I can download MLBM 2017 and if I don't like it, go back to the previous versions? It won't overwrite it, correct?

Thanks
Leefoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:00 PM   #11
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leefoo View Post
I'd cross my fingers AND toes, but that kinda makes jogging difficult. But hey, if it is for a good cause......

I assume that I can download MLBM 2017 and if I don't like it, go back to the previous versions? It won't overwrite it, correct?

Thanks
Correct.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:07 PM   #12
Jmbic
Bat Boy

I registered just to offer my feedback, which unfortunately is negative. I've purchased every iOS version since at least 2012 (as well as a few of the PC versions), and this is the only one that has ever offended me completely. I am worried that I will never experience the content as intended because the interface is very difficult to read, and the game performs very slowly on my iPhone 6s+ on iOS 10.2. The font is too small (glad an update is being pushed to address this), the color choices of said font make it even more difficult to read, and the game is unbearably slow. Even 2016's game ran well for me, and although it never added support for my phone's native resolution, it was big, bright, and snappy.

I sincerely hope that the upcoming update improves all of these areas, or I am unlikely to ever complete a season in MLB Manager '17 (after literally hundreds in '16 and older).
Jmbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:22 PM   #13
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Do you have many App open in the background?

I do all my testing on an iPhone 6 and the game is lightning fast. And I did not hear from anyone with an iPhone 6 that the game would be slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmbic View Post
I registered just to offer my feedback, which unfortunately is negative. I've purchased every iOS version since at least 2012 (as well as a few of the PC versions), and this is the only one that has ever offended me completely. I am worried that I will never experience the content as intended because the interface is very difficult to read, and the game performs very slowly on my iPhone 6s+ on iOS 10.2. The font is too small (glad an update is being pushed to address this), the color choices of said font make it even more difficult to read, and the game is unbearably slow. Even 2016's game ran well for me, and although it never added support for my phone's native resolution, it was big, bright, and snappy.

I sincerely hope that the upcoming update improves all of these areas, or I am unlikely to ever complete a season in MLB Manager '17 (after literally hundreds in '16 and older).
Old 03-30-2017, 03:25 PM   #14
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Sweet Game

I downloaded today to play on my LG Andriod 8.1" tablet & only thing I have to say so far on DAY ONE is yowzers!!!!.I drafted a fictional league of 30 teams & already played a game & if there is any gripe is the touch controls which I managed to rectify to about 95% success rate by cleaning tablet screen, grabbing one of my new stylus and touched with a slight touch and not a smash. I'm sure I'll have problems soon, one day or maybe not at all, but being a companion to my PC 18 version I'm happy as a pig in slop.
Thanks OOTP MLB Manager 17 Team.

PS. For a $4.49 purchase it's well beyond my expectations....$4.49....

Last edited by Bunktown Ballers; 03-30-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:00 PM   #15
wodi
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers View Post
I downloaded today to play on my LG Andriod 8.1" tablet & only thing I have to say so far on DAY ONE is yowzers!!!!.I drafted a fictional league of 30 teams & already played a game & if there is any gripe is the touch controls which I managed to rectify to about 95% success rate by cleaning tablet screen, grabbing one of my new stylus and touched with a slight touch and not a smash. I'm sure I'll have problems soon, one day or maybe not at all, but being a companion to my PC 18 version I'm happy as a pig in slop.
Thanks OOTP MLB Manager 17 Team.

PS. For a $4.49 purchase it's well beyond my expectations....$4.49....
Just out of curiosity, have you played the prior versions before?

If not, you are in for a treat.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:05 PM   #16
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
Do you have many App open in the background?

I do all my testing on an iPhone 6 and the game is lightning fast. And I did not hear from anyone with an iPhone 6 that the game would be slow.
So far on my iPhone 6s I think the performance is faster than previous versions, with the update to a slightly larger font coming I know what I will be doing for the next 11 months, 3 weeks and 6 days....
Edster007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:27 AM   #17
nolushhere
Minors (Triple A)

I would be ecstatic if the coding for an updated version of ootp was able to make its way to this app. I find with my life that the ability to play on the app is much more feasible then the computer. I would pray and beg for the app to get updated and have at least the animation features ootp currently has.

However, I will not bitch and complain. I'm very thankful for the app version and will continue to support it and ootp yearly.

Thank you guys again for all the work you put in. Have been part of this community back in around ootp5 timeframe and it's been the most enjoyable, satisfying game all time for me.
nolushhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:00 PM   #18
Donevyn
Major Leagues

Well I must be very lucky. It runs fine on my 2nd generation iPad. Looks great. Buttons work fine etc. No problems. Same can be said for it working on my iPhone 6. Everything looks great and works fine.
Donevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:09 PM   #19
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
I think GUI´s are always personal taste. I absolutely love the work of Daniel this year but understand that some people have a different taste. As we wrote above, we already submitted a new update with slightly bigger font sizes (which are not that much smaller then 2016), so hopefully it will work better then for you.

Update is out. Looks great. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Edster007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:00 AM   #20
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Not much of an update but I have probably already gotten my worth out of it in the 4 or so hours I have spent with it.
The new UI does look great on the iPad Pro 9.7"

The low ratings that were in light grey were very hard to read but todays update has already fixed that.
I do notice the game simulates faster. Is this years version 64 bit?

Unless you just want to support the company I would recommend waiting for it to go on sale for a dollar since so little has changed but I put enough hours into the app every year to justify the full price.

Todays update fixed my only issue.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote