Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 04:29 PM   #1
allenciox
All Star Reserve

Daily tournaments with big rewards not getting full.

I have noticed that many daily tournaments with big rewards (even SE diamond cards) are not getting full, or even close to full, which ends up having them delayed for 24 hours.

I am very confused by this, as the quick tournaments, which generally feature smaller rewards for the same type of tournaments as the dailies, seem to have no trouble filling.

I wonder if it is because, with the default sorting, the quick tournaments show up at the top, and that people don't get down to the daily tourneys?

Anyway, anybody else notice this?

Old 11-13-2019, 04:34 PM   #2
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

could be the sort.... I tried limiting the sort to just the daily entries from time to time yesterday so i wouldn't forget about them...

also could be that even if that daily fills up, it won't kick off until the timer is done.... I posted this on a couple threads already... might be more incentive for people to sign up right away on those if they would kick off as soon as they are full.... that way, you aren't tying up one of your 3 slots for 12+ hours waiting for it to start
Old 11-13-2019, 04:38 PM   #3
Kris Jardine
OOTP Developments

We've been discussing this internally, we know it's an issue right now and are working on possible solutions

Webstore - https://ootpdevelopments.onfastspring.com/games/
Steam - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...k_Baseball_22/
Old 11-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Sure, people have noticed, but you can't beta test waiting around for a tournament to fill. However, a tournament has a scheduled start time, it should start at that time and offer first round byes to random teams. So, if 100 show up for a 128 player, you need 28 first round byes. The formula is 100-((100-64)*2). In fact, all tournaments should have scheduled start times.

Last edited by bailey; 11-13-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:14 PM   #5
getalife1798
Minors (Single A)

Could one solution be that OOTP creates a roster based on random cards in the game and then the AI controls? I mean, why not?

If the prize is 100 overall card and if an OOTP computer team wins it, so be it. If it follows the cap and rules, I wouldn't be mad.

(Granted, I could be in the minority with this)

OOTP21

OOTP20

Old 11-13-2019, 05:26 PM   #6
allenciox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Sure, people have noticed, but you can't beta test waiting around for a tournament to fill. However, a tournament has a scheduled start time, it should start at that time and offer first round byes to random teams. So, if 100 show up for a 128 player, you need 28 first round byes. The formula is 100-((100-64)*2). In fact, all tournaments should have scheduled start times.
I would never claim that this is a bug or should have been beta-tested. To the contrary, I have been very impressed that what is a MAJOR new feature to the product appears to have very few (and minor!) bugs at all.

As far as tournament byes, the problem with that is that the reward structure is based on having a full number of entrants. I like the fact that the first time a tournament goes past its start time, it is delayed an hour. But it appears that after that point, it is just delayed until the next day. It would be nice if it delayed a couple more times before just essentially "cancelling it" by moving it 23 hours.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:47 PM   #7
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Those big scheduled tournaments not filling is still an important data point of the beta test. The format is unpopular and should be culled when narrowing down the types of tournaments offered going forward.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:01 PM   #8
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Those big scheduled tournaments not filling is still an important data point of the beta test. The format is unpopular and should be culled when narrowing down the types of tournaments offered going forward.

Three days is hardly a big enough sample size but your point is well taken. Over time types of tourneys that don't fill should probably be reduced. It's not that big an issue with the "quick" types as it doesn't matter that much if they fill every day. They replicate based on interest.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:37 PM   #9
HelpDodgers
Major Leagues

Give everyone a prize for playing Beta tournaments.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:43 PM   #10
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I think there is a lot of demand for 32-team tourneys and very little for 128. Why not offer 4 32-team tourneys instead of one 128? Stagger the start times and they will probably all fill up because people will play in more than one.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:43 PM   #11
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Consider that 128 active players with competitive rosters are needed for those huge tournaments. I just don't think there are that many distinct active players around to sign up at this point in the lifecycle.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks
Old 11-13-2019, 06:48 PM   #12
GlassGuyBob
Minors (Double A)

> Those big scheduled tournaments not filling is still an important data point of the beta test. The format is unpopular and should be culled when narrowing down the types of tournaments offered going forward.

I strongly disagree. I think there's plenty of ways to adjust this to make these events work. Not everyone has the time to log in a half dozen times and join 10 tournaments per day. I like being able to lock up a slot in a big event and leave it alone. Or get a slot in one of the big Sunday events.

It seems like people are doing mostly quick events but I personally like the big and less frequent tournament structure better.Hopefully they can get the incentives balanced so these not only fire regularly but people feel it's worthwhile to join them early.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:54 PM   #13
Elligator
Minors (Single A)

Personally, I’ve only been doing the quick small tourneys because I’ve been playing for about 6 weeks and I have no confidence that I can field a good enough roster to be competitive in a daily tournament. I haven’t even won any tournaments yet even a bunch of 8 teams.

F2P Power Hitting

F2P Astros Only
Old 11-13-2019, 07:56 PM   #14
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGuyBob View Post
> Those big scheduled tournaments not filling is still an important data point of the beta test. The format is unpopular and should be culled when narrowing down the types of tournaments offered going forward.

I strongly disagree. I think there's plenty of ways to adjust this to make these events work. Not everyone has the time to log in a half dozen times and join 10 tournaments per day. I like being able to lock up a slot in a big event and leave it alone. Or get a slot in one of the big Sunday events.

It seems like people are doing mostly quick events but I personally like the big and less frequent tournament structure better.Hopefully they can get the incentives balanced so these not only fire regularly but people feel it's worthwhile to join them early.
agreed.... during the evening if I have time to hang out and play, I'll jump into as many of the 8 to 16 team quick tourneys as I can to try my luck.... but if I have a moment to log in before I head out to work in the morning, I'll be more inclined to sign up for the bigger tourneys and let it fill up over the course of the day, and hope it's full and running when I get home later (the quick-super-big-bronze is a good example today.... signed up this morning... logged in when I got home and its full with 128 teams and running right now)
Old 11-13-2019, 08:04 PM   #15
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenciox View Post
I have noticed that many daily tournaments with big rewards (even SE diamond cards) are not getting full, or even close to full, which ends up having them delayed for 24 hours.

I am very confused by this, as the quick tournaments, which generally feature smaller rewards for the same type of tournaments as the dailies, seem to have no trouble filling.

I wonder if it is because, with the default sorting, the quick tournaments show up at the top, and that people don't get down to the daily tourneys?

Anyway, anybody else notice this?
I think people like to jump in on tournaments that are about to go off and just keep the results coming and hope to win a few, enter as many as possible...baseball cocaine.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:11 PM   #16
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Right, if you sign up for a tournament then it locks up a spot until it fires off. Why would I want to be the 10th person to register for a 128 man tourney? I can finish a couple quick 16s by the time it starts and just jump in once there are already 100 entrants. When everyone thinks that same way then it never gets enough momentum to get off the ground.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:38 PM   #17
Kris Jardine
OOTP Developments

As we do with all things, we are monitoring the data. We know exactly who is playing what tournaments, what types and at what times. We will take that data after a full week or 2 of observations and make adjustments as required.

Webstore - https://ootpdevelopments.onfastspring.com/games/
Steam - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...k_Baseball_22/
Old 11-14-2019, 04:51 AM   #18
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantaCondor View Post
Consider that 128 active players with competitive rosters are needed for those huge tournaments. I just don't think there are that many distinct active players around to sign up at this point in the lifecycle.
You're wrong. We have thousands of unique PT users each day.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:53 AM   #19
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I think there is a lot of demand for 32-team tourneys and very little for 128. Why not offer 4 32-team tourneys instead of one 128? Stagger the start times and they will probably all fill up because people will play in more than one.
Because that would require us to lower the rewards. I personally love the big events with the big rewards.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:54 AM   #20
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

By the way, can we please have this discussion here:

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=308267
Closed Thread