Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 11-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #1
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Need Help To Expand My League

Currently I have two separate divisions with six teams each... North Island First Division and North Island Second Division... with no playoffs... just promotion and relegation.

Would like to expand with two more divisions with six teams in each... South Island First Division and South Island Second Division.

The manual says you can expand in the offseason or the preseason.
I plan to expand during the preseason... is this the best time to expand?

I want to keep the North Island divisions separate from the South Island divisions... can I add the two new South Island divisions to the current two divisions... or do I need to create a separate league for the South Island teams?

Would it be better to set up the South Island League with two divisions... First Division and Second Division?
That way, they are separate from the North Island League.

If I set up two different leagues... North Island and South Island... can I eventually have them play one another in the postseason?

Sorry, If all this is confusing.
Eventually I want the champion of the North Island League to play the champion of the South Island League... how do I set up all four divisions so that this is possible?

I currently use promotion and relegation in the North Island divisions and will do the same thing in the new South Island divisions.
(worst two teams in First Division will be relegated to the Second Division... top two teams in Second Division will be promoted to the First Division)

I will use the screen below to redesign my league.

Am I doing this the right way? … do you have any advice to make this expansion smooth and done properly?

I don't use financials... I will use free agents for the draft... there will be no expansion draft... all league reputations will be Major League (10 reputation)

Would appreciate your help and advice.
Attached Images

Last edited by Eugene Church; 11-10-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:37 PM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

If you have free agency, expand as soon as the World Series is over so your expansion teams can get in on the action and fill their rosters. If no free agency, then preseason should be fine.

Create another subleague for the new divisions (like AL/NL) if you want the South separate from the North. This will allow you to have the North League Champion play the South League Champion.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 11-10-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
Ruwisc
All Star Reserve

All four divisions in the same league should work fine, just make it so North Island is one subleague and South Island is the other. Alternatively if you do create a second league, you can have the two champions play each other by creating a league association with its own playoffs.
Ruwisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:14 PM   #4
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruwisc View Post
All four divisions in the same league should work fine, just make it so North Island is one subleague and South Island is the other. Alternatively if you do create a second league, you can have the two champions play each other by creating a league association with its own playoffs.
Great help, Ruwisc.

Much appreciate it.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:02 PM   #5
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

I recently did a four team expansion with a draft for my universe to expand from 36 teams to 40. That meant creating a new division in each league so I have four divisions of five teams each in each league, and eliminated wild cards.

If there is one piece of advice I can give to anyone thinking of expanding in any way is that you must plan. Get a legal pad and a pen and lay out exactly what you want to do in terms of what teams go where, what the minor league affiliates (if you play that way) will be, and what leagues the minor league teams will be a part of. If you make uniforms like I do, the planning phase is the time to do it so they'll be ready to go. The same holds true for the stadiums.

If you lay it all out in advance, come the time to do the actual expansion you'll save yourself a ton of headaches, a lot of time, and you won't have to worry about ruining your league. Make the mistakes in the planning phase, not the actual implementation.

My two cents.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:14 PM   #6
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Ball Dave View Post
I recently did a four team expansion with a draft for my universe to expand from 36 teams to 40. That meant creating a new division in each league so I have four divisions of five teams each in each league, and eliminated wild cards.

If there is one piece of advice I can give to anyone thinking of expanding in any way is that you must plan. Get a legal pad and a pen and lay out exactly what you want to do in terms of what teams go where, what the minor league affiliates (if you play that way) will be, and what leagues the minor league teams will be a part of. If you make uniforms like I do, the planning phase is the time to do it so they'll be ready to go. The same holds true for the stadiums.

If you lay it all out in advance, come the time to do the actual expansion you'll save yourself a ton of headaches, a lot of time, and you won't have to worry about ruining your league. Make the mistakes in the planning phase, not the actual implementation.

My two cents.
Good advice... much appreciate it.