Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2019, 10:10 PM   #1881
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Heavyweight Championship Fights Post WWII

vacant BBBofC Scottish Area Heavyweight Title
1945-09-12
Ken Shaw W Jock Porter TKO 8/15
Hampden Park, Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Ken Shaw - Scotland - HW
Career Record: W23(KO 5) / L13(KO 9) / D4

TITLES:
BBBofC Scottish Area Heavyweight Title

Unknown information has been left blank.

Originally Created by me (Who was this?)

From BoxRec: He won at age 15, the Midlands counties Heavyweight title, but it was taken away from him because the allowed age was over 17.He began working as a draughtman in the Caledon Shipyard in Dundee and was the Scottish Heavyweight boxing champion from 1945-50. He was knicknamed the Gentle Giant. After managing the Scottish boxing team in the Empire Games in Auckland, New Zealand, in 1950 he decided to emigrate there. He died in New Zealand in 1997.

After having last fought in August 1948 loosing by 3rd round TKO to Earl Walls, after he emigrated to New Zealand he fought there Don Mullett twice in February adn May 1951 loosing 12 and 15 round decisions to finally finish out his career.

The included Website has a photo of his last fight with Don Mullett.

The Jan 1948 Ring ran an account of Shaw's fight in Oct 1947 against then South African champ Johnny Ralph noting it was being billed as an Empire title eliminator fight. Shaw was outmatched totally being dropped in the 2nd and then 4th round before the fight was stopped with a hand injury.

June 1948 Ring mentions Shaw's fight against Alf Gallagher and notes a powerful right cross Shaw had. The July 1948 Ring accounts his fight with Freddie Mills as the Final Eliminator for the British Heavyweight Title, the winner to meet Bruce Woodcock for the title. Shaw came out quick and landed a right to Mill's jaw but then Mills shot a left to Shaw's jaw and Shaw went down bleeding from a bad cut on his upper lip. Referee Ben Green let the fight continue, but when the round ended and being still very dazed, Shaw's corner motioned the ref to their corner and the fight was then stopped.

Jock Porter - Scotland - HW
Career Record: W5(KO 4) / L7(KO 7) / D1

Original Rating by Romultiltus then Bear contributed a rating in his TC Parade or was it the other way around?

Lost to Ken Shaw in August 1945 for the Scottish Area Heavyweight Title. In his next fight against Bruce Woodcock, Porter was put down 9 times in three rounds by Woodcock! That fight along with the Shaw defeat was the beginning of end in little more than a year for Porter with 7 losses in his last 8 fights. He fought and lost to some pretty recognizable names. Besides Shaw and Woodcok he lost to Olie Tandberg, Stephane Olek, Al Robinson, Tom Reddington and Jack Smith. No real pushovers. His earlier success included a draw with Shaw and wins over Jack London, Al Delaney and Al Robinson.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/boxing-match-1
Showed a 4min 45 sec video of Porter's fight agains Olie Tandberg in 1946. Tandberg put Porter down once in the 1st and 6 times at least in the 2nd before the video stopped.A comment posted by someone on this site states Porter was knocked down 21 times in the fight! This is posted on BoxRec.You can see the vido on YouTube also.

The WWW.abae.co.uk list the winners of the 1939, 55th ABAE National Championship in England. Bruce Woodcock was the light heavyweight champion while Jock Porter was the heavyweight champion. Later that year in April 1939 in the European Championships held in Dublin, Ireland, Porter lost to German heavyweight Herbert Runge in the 3rd place bouts after loosing to Italian Nemesio Lazzari in the semi finals.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Shaw_Ken_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (3.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Porter_Jock_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (3.5 KB, 74 views)
Rocco Del Sesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:08 PM   #1882
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Cuban Heavyweight Title
1945-09-15
Federico Malibran 198½. W Nino Valdes 184½ KO 4/12
Palacio de Deportes, Havana, Cub
Valdes down in the third and twice on the fourth.

Federico Malibran
Career Record: W38(KO 29) / L22(KO 16) / D1

TITLES:
Cuban Heavyweight Title

DOB has been estimated.

Original rating was by "Created by Me" and had the file named as Malabran.

KO'd Nino Valdes in 4th round in Sept 1945 for the Cuban title then after a couple KO wins in October and December, he fought Valdes again in December 1945 and was stopped by Nino in the 8th round handing Valdes the Cuban Heavyweight title.

The Cyberboxingzone website article on Nino Valdez (link in his rating), mentions that Malibran was considered the only other Cuban heavyweight besides Valdes that everyone avoided to fight. Described him as a muscular fighter.

Nino Valdes
Career Record: W48(KO 36) / L18(KO 5) / D3 / NC1

TITLES:
Cuban Heavyweight Title

Was a top contender during his career though he never secured a world title shot. Defeated Brain London, Mike DeJohn, Johnny Summerline, Wayne Bethea, Joe Erskine, Don Cockell, Tommy Jackson, Archie McBride, Heinz Neuhaus, Ezzard Charles, Omelio Agramonte, and Jimmy Walker.

Included website from Cyberboxingzone has a very good historical on Valdes.

I did not do anything with the TBCB3 team rating. Just added the cyberboxingzone weblink and a couple other minor updates to his fighter data page. I want to look more in depth at Valdes. Interested in finding out more about him. I have the Ring magazine's now that would cover his entire career after moving to the states with this first fight in the US, the draw with Jimmy Freeman. The January 1949 Ring only has a one sentence account of the fight.
Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Malibran_Federico_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Valdes_Nino_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.1 KB, 72 views)
Old 04-13-2019, 10:25 PM   #1883
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Title Bout CB 2

Change of subject.....

So I picked up off EBay a copy of TBCB 2 for $10 packaged with some other game called Heavyweight Thunder which I never heard of.

So I loaded up the TB2. Installed ok. Briefly anyone here remember what the main differences were from 2.0 going to 2.5?
Old 04-15-2019, 09:50 PM   #1884
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

TB2.5 in Windows 10

So another side comment/question.

I was hunting around on the net searching for clues to running old software on Windows 10. Found this one site this guy had what sounded like a real simple thing to do that he said, not 100% worked but worked quite well with some of his old programs. Arcade/graphics type ones.
So, I loaded TB2.5 onto a windows 10 computer I have and did this....

Go to Program Files (x86)
Then to the Title Bout Championship Boxing 25 folder
Then found the TB2.5 exe file and right clicked on that.

A window opens up and I open the Compatibility Tab
In there then Check the box for Run This Program In Compatibility Mode for: and in the drop down box I selected Windows XP Service Pack 3.

I also checked the box for Run This Program as an Administrator.

So I've done that and started messing around with a couple fighter files changing some things. So far no hangups. Now before just about everytime I'd try to change a field under the fighter's info page, the game would hang up.

I've not messed with it a lot yet, but, again little that I have so far way more success than I used to have under Windows 10.

Don't know if anyone out there has tried this and found success or not but wanted to mention it to anyone who might want to try it if you've not already.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:54 PM   #1885
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Looking at Paco Bueno and Fidel Arciniega right now. They were next in my HW championship line up when they meet in 1945 for the Spanish Heavyweight title. A couple real interesting careers. I want to do some looking through my Ring magazines that cover the later years of both fighter's careers and see what info I can come up on them, if anything. So may be a few days before I post anything. Paco Bueno is rated by the TBCB3 team as a LHW and Chris Mund did Fidel as a HW but I'm going to do LHW and HW ratings for both as both of them fought some fairly distinctive periods at both weight classes.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:59 AM   #1886
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Dutch Heavyweight

While I'm looking through my Rings to see what I find on Paco Bueno and Fidel Arciniega, I ran across this gentleman from the Netherlands. Liked his name an ran across the comment on him in a Ring magazine so I decided to whip him up quick and present him.

And yes this is my first posting from my Win 10 computer running 2.5 set up like I posted a week ago. So far, knock on my wood head and don't jinx myself, it's run with no hiccups!! No working on my old XP laptop that has no internet access and having to dump files to a thumb drive to transfer to the other computer with internet!!!!! Gosh don't jinx myself!

Jan Olij - HW - Netherlands
Career Record: W6(KO 4) / L5(KO 3) / D0

Most recognizable opponents in Olij who fought as and refered to in Ring Magazine accounts as Jack Oley, were Abelardo Acosta, Cheo Morejon, Paco Bueno and Alfredo Lagay. Olij beat the first three, loosing to Lagay.

The July 1949 Ring had a short account of Olij's fight with Bueno. It said Olij, refered to as Jack Oley, was a "Dutch Heavyweight who made a name for himself as an amateur, and shows great promise." Well that prediction was off.
Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Olij_Jan_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.2 KB, 80 views)
Old 04-21-2019, 12:37 PM   #1887
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Ran across this for WW Vince Foster

Again, looking through my Ring magazines for Bueno info I ran across a short article in the September 1949 issue on the death of welterweight Vince Foster. Looked in my data base and seen him in there done by Mark Elwood. I've updated Foster's bio info with some information I could find and am posting a new file here. I did not do anything with Mark's rating but thought you'd enjoy the updated bio info about Foster.

Vince Foster - WW - USA
Career Record: W30(KO 19) / L4(KO 2) / D1

Birth Name, Vincent Lee Foster
The Ring Record Books from the time period of Foster's career list his date of birth as Aug. 17, 1927 and that he was of American Indian decent. The website www.wikitree.com/wiki/Foster-2951, has his birth date listed as 8/17/27 so that is what I've posted in his fighter info and not 1926 as BoxRec lists. The wiki website has a nice biography on Foster including that his Father Vincent Sr. was Irish/Scots-Irish and that his mother was from Iow and Potawatomi Indian.

Beat Dave Andrews, Sammy Secreet, Joey Pirrone, Freddie Archer, Chuck Taylor and Tony Pellone.
Lost to Charley Fusari.

Rating by: Mark Elwood, vistamann44

A "foot note" account in the September 1949 Ring Magazine relates that Foster had suffered fatal injuries in an automobile accident crash in Minnesota. Refered to Foster's brief but specatular career. Described him as a colorful two fisted puncher who made headlines that year with a knockout of Tony Pellone at Madison Square Garden but saw his possible championship hopes go up in smoke when he was stopped by Charley Fusari in one round one month later.
Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Foster_Vince_WW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.8 KB, 68 views)
Old 04-21-2019, 06:37 PM   #1888
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Vacant Spanish Heavyweight Title
1945-11-01
Paco Bueno 184 1/4 W Fidel Arciniega 187 PTS 12/12
Plaza de Toros de Las Ventas, Madrid, Comunidad de Madrid, Spain

Both of these fighters i've split into LHW and HW ratings.

Paco Bueno - LHW/HW Spain
Career Record: W34(KO 17) / L9(KO 7) / D0
New Accumulation Record W34(KO 16) / L10(KO 9) / D0

TITLES:
Spanish Heavyweight Title
Spanish Light-heavyweight Title

1948 Ring Record Book notes in Bueno's record bio that as an amateur he had a 56-2 record before turning professional. Notes he was born in Rentania, Guipuzcoa, Spain. BoxRec notes birthplace as Renteria, Pais Vasco, Spain.

There's some conflicting records found on Bueno's career record. The TBCB3 rating shows his record in the bio as W34(KO 17) / L9(KO 7) / D0. BoxRec currently lists his record as W28(KO 14) / L9(KO 8) / D0. www.fightsrec.com has it as W32(KO 16) / L8(KO 7) / D0.

So I went through and accumulated the BoxRec and Fightsrec files along with some Ring Record Book data I had and listed out fights each showed and I came up with a combined record of W34(KO 16) / L10(KO 9) / D0. So close to the TBCB3 record listed.

Breaking and rating Bueno's record by pretty distinctive LHW / HW Careers...
LHW W19(KO 12) / L4(KO 4) / D0
HW W15(KO 4) / L6(KO 5) / D0

Found a website, https://sansebastianpintxobars.com/p...rs/paco-bueno/, that is a website for a restraunt/bard in San Sebastian named after its own, which is said to be a famous former boxer. On the website are some photos in the restraunt one of which is a photo of and it does look like, Paco Bueno a referee and apparent opponent in a fight name in the photo Mussina. Luigi Musina in BoxRec?

Fidel Arciniega - LHW/HW Spain
Career Record: W38(KO 34) / L33(KO 13) / D2

TITLES:

Spanish Light Heavyweight Title

Birthname Fidel Archiniega Basterrechea

Original Heavyweight rating by Chris Mund.

A search on the internet using his full birthname was found. Translated from Spanish it placed Fidel's birthplace as 12/7/1919 in the village of Iturralde de Sopelana. He fought as an amateur beginning in 1940 fighting 31 matches proclaiming himself Spain's amateur heavyweight champion then apparently in 1941-42 he competed in the light heavyweight division.

Arciniega started out as a light heavyweight and his career is fairly distinctive in weight class to rate him at both LHW and HW. Intersting though that three times after he moved up to the heavyweights with his fight against Agostinho Guedes in October 1945, he shed weight back down to LHW. First time was a single fight against Estansiao Liacer in November 1946, then again in April and May he dropped weight to fight Agustin Mendicute and then to fight Ignacio Ara for the then vacant Spanish LHW Title which he lost to Ara in 12 rounds. Then a 3rd time in November 1948 he dropped back down to LHW to fight first Tommy Gomez and then Ernie Mason.

LHW Record: W11(KO 8) / L8(KO 2) / D1
HW Record: W27(KO 26) / L25(KO 11) / D2
Attached Images
Image Image 
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Arciniega_Fidel_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (3.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Bueno_Paco_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (3.4 KB, 62 views)
Old 05-10-2019, 12:43 PM   #1889
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Alf Brown HW England Mid late 40s

Know I haven't posted in a bit but I have been working on some things. I ran cross looking at the record of Paco Bueno and discovered where there were these HW European Tournaments held and I found the records for the one held in 1947, 1948 and 1950. Haven't found one for 1949. Trying to surf through Dates in BoxRec to see If I find one held that year. So thought it interesting to look at some of the fighters in these tourney's see what things I could come up to post. Indirectly while looking at Jo Weidin, I seen Alf Brown was an opponent of Weidin for a couple fights and had run across this Alf Brown earlier. Looked him up and he had an interesting short career.

Career Record: W11(KO 5) / L7(KO 4) / D2

TITLES:
BBBofC Southern Area Heavyweight Title

Won the Final Army Heavweight Title in March 1943. Defeated Reg Andrews for the Southern Area HW Title in Feb 1947. Last three fights stopped by Carl Nielsen and Jo Weidin twice in 5 rounds and 2 and 1 round each.

Manager: Sam Burns
Attached Images
Image Image 
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Brown_Alf_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.0 KB, 63 views)
Old 05-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #1890
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

1947 European Heavyweight Tournament

The tournament was fought in September/October 1947. Found records of this actually while looking into Paco Bueno's record. First round was fought on Wednesday, Sept 24th, 1947 at the Palais des Sports in Brussels, Belgium.

First Up was...
Stephane Olek- French HW 14 3 1 vs All Gerard -Belgium LHW 8 10 1
Olek knocks out Gerard in the 2nd round. I'd actually rated Olek way back in the Feb 2004 posting in this forum. Later he was updated and posted by the TBCB3 Team. I've added an amount of new Bio Info and done some messing with the TBCB3 rating wins seem to come out way to high upper 30s and KO's a bit to low.

Stephane Olek - HW - France
Career Record: W30(KO 22) / L17(KO 1) / D3, NC2

TITLES:

French heavyweight title

The TBCB3 ratubg file had shown in Olek's bibliography a record of W21(KO 13) / L17(KO 1) / D2.
Current BoxRec shows the career record noted in this bibliography. The 1953 Ring Record Book shows Olek's career with his fights listed from Pol Goffaux in Jan 1946 through his last fight in Nov 1952 against Georges Rogiers. The Ring Record book account though misses some fights listed in BoxRec, including just a note at the top of his short Bio that he turned professional in 1941 and had compiled through 1944 a record of W11-L2. BoxRec lists these number of fights but W11-L1-D1

Stefan Olek was the son of eastern Polish emigrants to France, working on a farm run by his parents.

Lost 15 round decision to Bruce Woodcock in March 1947 for the European Heavyweight Title. In the Fall of 1947 participated in a European Heavyweight Tournament in which he won 1st and 2nd round fights knocking out first All Gerard and then Pierre Van Deuren before loosing 10 round decision to Jo Weidin in the Semi-Final. He came back to defeat Piet Weidin by 8th round KO to win the 3rd place finish.

In January 1948 he knocked out Georges Martin in the 1st round to win the France Heavyweight Title. In the fall of 1948 Olek participated in another European Heavyweight Tourament, this time defeating the Albert Scohy, Carl Nielsen and Paco Bueno in the 1st, 2nd and Semi rounds to take on American Aaron Wilson in the final, loosing a 15 round decision to Wilson. The January 1949 Ring account of the 1st round of this tournament refer to it as an international tournament, because of Wilson's participation? Wilson born in the US resided in Paris and fought much of his career in Europe. The defeat to Wilson put Olek in a tailspin for a couple years with a 3-10-0, 1NC record before coming back to close out his career in 1952 with a 3-1-2 mark.

All Gerard - LHW - Belgium
Career Record: W9(KO 1) / L12(KO 7) / D1

BoxRec shows Gerard fighting semi regularly from 1937 throughn 1944 with a 2nd round loss to Stephane Olek in May 1944, then no fights recorded unitl Sept 1947 when he fought lost by 2nd round KO to Olek in the 1st round of a European Heavyweight Tournament. Then only a single fight loss in Feb 1950 and a 4 round decision win over a young Wim Snoek in June 1951 finishing his record.
Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Olek_Stephane_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (3.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Gerard_All_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.1 KB, 70 views)
Old 05-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #1891
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

2nd fight up in the tourney we look at...

Georges Martin - HW-France 23 7 0 vs Giulio De Paolis-HW-Italy 1 1 0
Martin won an 8 round decision over De Paolis. This fight would seem to indicate that lack of depth in talent in European heavyweights at this time.

Giulio De Paolis - HW - Italy
Career Record: W2(KO 0) / L2(KO 1) / D0

DOB has been estimated

BoxRec lists 4 fights for De Paolis. The first in April 1945 was the 6th career fight of Gino Buonvino with De Paolis winning a 6 round decision. After a loss in 1946 he then reappears for two fights in Sept and Oct 1947 when he competes in a European Heavyweight tournament. He first what should be considered an upset decisioning in 8 rounds Georges Martin in the 1st round of the tourny but then is KO'd in the 3rd in the 2nd round by Piet Wilde.

Georges Martin - HW - France
Career Record: W23(KO 16) / L10(KO 8) / D0

TITLES:
France Heavyweight Title

Original Rating by "Created by me."

Won the France HW title by knocking out in the 7th round Albert Renet in Oct 1946. Successfully defended it with a 12th round KO of Fancis Jacques in May 1947. Later that year he lost an 8 round decision to Giulio De Paolis in the 1st round of a European Heavyweight Tournament, then was KO'd in the 2nd round by Nils Andersson less than a month after that tournament loss. In Jan 1948 he was K0'd less than a minute into the start of his France title defence by Stephane Olek. BoxRec account says Martin announced his retirement the next day.
Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Martin_Georges_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: tbdx3 DePaolis_Giulio_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.2 KB, 57 views)
Old 05-12-2019, 06:03 PM   #1892
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

3rd fight in the tourney we'll look at it....

Jo Weidin-HW-Austria 9 2 1 vs Jan Declercq-LHW-Belgium 4 2 0
Weidin stopped Declercq in the 1st round. The File I'm posting for Weidin I've named him first named him Jo. For some reason the TBCB file I had has him as Joe? Just to note.

Jo Weidin - HW - Austria
Career Record: W31(KO 24) / L14(KO 5) / D1 / NC1

TITLES:

EBU Heavyweight Title

Defeated Heinz Lazek, Orlan Ott, Walter Hafer, Don Mogard, Alf Brown, Johnny Arthur, and Enrico Bertola.

Won a European Heavyweight Tournament in the fall of 1947 defeat in successive rounds Jan Declercq, Enrico Bertola, Stephane Olek and then Robert Eugene in the title fight.

Weiden in June 1950 won a 15 round decision over Stephane Olek for the European Heavyweight Title after loosing a 12 round decision to Olek earlier in January that year. The Sept 1950 Ring account of his title fight with Olek made note that Weidin was a much traveled fighter having been around Europe, America and Britain. It called the fight "a rather tame bout". Weidin lost the title though by 15 round decision to Jack Gardner in March 1951.

Weidin's career ended due to an eye injury per the wiki website account.

Trainer: Marty Burke
Manager: Gaston C Raymond/Englert

Jan Declercq - LHW - Belgium
Career Record: W6(KO 3) / L19(KO 9) / D1

DOB has been estimated.

BoxRec lists Declercq as a heavyweight and he did show up in these European Heavyweight competitions first in 1947 loosing by 1st round TKO to Jo Weidin and then again in 1948 this time loosing a 6 round decision to Paco Bueno. But between that he fought and lost twice for the Belgium Light Heavyweight Title, first loosing a 12 round decision to Pol Golfaux in December 1947 and thne in Jan 1950 he was stopped in the 4th round by Victor d'Haes.

Couple of fights listed that show a fight weight for Declercq he and his opponent were at the LHW range (high limit anyway). I think Declercq was really a LHW trying to mix it with the big boys without much success so I've rated him as a LHW.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Weidin_Jo_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Declercq_Jan_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.4 KB, 52 views)
Old 05-12-2019, 09:39 PM   #1893
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

4th fight up in the Tourney....

Pierre Baeken-HW Belgium 5 9 0 vs Piet Wilde - HW - Belgium 11 2 0
Wilde stops Baeken in the 3rd round. It was the 3rd career meeting between Wilde and Baeken and 3rd victory for Wilde.

I ran a schedule of Wilde's career and the results were like dead on with the TBCB3 Team rating, so this file is just some Bio updates.

Piet Wilde - HW - Belgium
Career Record: W29(KO 15) / L17(KO 11) / D2

TITLES:

Belgian heavyweight title

Birth Name Piet Wildermeersch

First fought and lost to Pierre Van Deuren in March 1946 by 12 round decision for the Belgium HW Title. They fought a rematch in November 1946, this time Wilde knocking out Van Deuren in the 10th. Wilde successfully defended the title with a 12 round decision over Robert Eugene in April 1948.

In around those Belgium title fights Wilde fought in two European Heavyweight tournaments in 1947 and 1948. The 1947 tourny he beat Pierre Baeken and Giulio De Paolis in the 1st and 2nd rounds before being KO'd in 7 by Robert Eugene in the Semi. After that Wilde lost 3 more fights in a round KO to Stephane Olek and two losses to Carl NIelsen. Wilde broke the bad streak with his title win over Eugene in April 1948. Later the year he participated in another Euro HW tourny, this time winning the 1st round to Albert Coulbaly but got outpointed in 8 by Kurt Schiegl in the 2nd round.

Pierre Baeken - HW - Belgium
Career Record: W5(KO 2) / L10(KO 5) / D0

DOB has been estimated.

Biggest fights and all losses to Stephane Olek, Richard Vogt, Carl Nielsen and Piet Wilde three times. Last time against Wilde, Piet stopped Baeken in the 3rd round of thier 1st Round match of the 1947 European HW Tournament. It was Baeken's last fight.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Wilde_Piet_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Baeken_Pierre_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.0 KB, 66 views)
Old 05-19-2019, 03:52 PM   #1894
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Jo Weidin

In the June 1948 Ring, article by Art Collins, Heavyweights Come to the Fore Again, Jo Weidin was one of those featured in the article calling Weidin one of the best headlines in Europe then from Austria currently operating out of Paris. Noted Weidin having established himself as the best heavyweight in Europe having just completed an international tournament in Brussels, Belgium. The 1947 tournament I'm reviewing right now. Article notes that Weidin went on to win that competition knocking out Jean Declercq and Enrico Bertola whom i'm reviewing right now and decision wins over Stephane Olek and Robert Eurgene.

Collins mentions that he's defeated Andersson in Sweden and Alf Brown in England and is contemplating an American tour.
Attached Images
Old 05-27-2019, 03:42 PM   #1895
zyberianwarrior
All Star Starter

great stuff here and nice info on them too
zyberianwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:25 PM   #1896
Hootowl9
Minors (Double A)

Could someone just post a link for HW Anthony Joshua #659461 please. - Never mind...………….

Last edited by Hootowl9; 05-31-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Hootowl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:51 PM   #1897
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

5th Fight Up in the Tourny

Enrico Bertola 22 3 1 W PTS 6/6 Harry Staal 32 29 6

This tournament defeat to Bertola turned out to be Staal's last fight.

Harry Staal - HW - Netherlands
Career Record: W32(KO 19) / L30(KO 9) / D6

Unknown information is left blank.
Birth Name: Christian Schaffrath

Do not know who original rating is from. I've added my updated version.

Lost a 15 round decision to Dorus Elten in December 1939 for the Dutch Heavyweight title.

On a website, https://www.gettyimages.com/ there's a photo with a caption of the weighin of the fight between Jack Doyle and Hary Staal. Referencing to "Irish Heavyeight boxer" Jack Doyle and Dutch heavyweight champion Harry Staal. So not sure of title bestowed on Staal in that photo caption.

Staal's last career fight turned out to be the 6 round decision loss to Enrico Bertola in the 1st round of the 1947 Eurpean Heavyweight Tournament.

Enrico Bertola - HW - Italy
Career Record: W34(KO 22) / L7(KO 4) / D1

TITLES:
Italy heavyweight title

Original rating believe by Mark Elwood/vistaman44

Defeated Phil Muscato, Joe Ray Stevens, Tony Bosnich, Art Swinden, Harry Staal, Luigi Musina, and Gino Buonvino.
Died after a brain operation resulting from a decision loss to Lee Oma.

Defeated Luigi Musina in September 1946 to gain the Italy Heavyweight Title. BoxRec notes then that Bertola abandoned the title. In early Sept 1947 he won back the vacant Italy HW title winning a 12 round deicison over Giovanni Martin. Bertoala, then in Sept/Oct 1947 he participated in a European Heavyweight tournament defeating Harry Staal in a 6 round decision in the first round only to be stopped by Jo Weidin in the second round by 1st round TKO. He then embarked on fighting in America in Feb. 1948 where he finished his career, except for a trip to Milan, Italy in November 1948 Bertola defended the Italy Heavyweight Title knocking out Gerolamo Giusto in the 1st round. BoxRec says he then abandoned the title again!

He returned to America in early 1949 to fight four more times beating Joe Ray Stevens, loosing to Richard Hogan then won a tough 10 round decision in May 1949. He stayed out of the ring till October when he fought Lee Oma loosing a 10 round decision and more tragically died the next day after a brain operation after he collapsed right after the fight ended with Oma.

Interesting to find in the Feb 1948 Ring a listing of Continental European ratings for 1947 and a list of 9 heavyweights had Giovanni Martin of Italy listed number 9. Bertola has defeated Martin for the Italy title in September. A listing of top Continental Heavyweights in Feb 1949 Ring for 1948 this time listed Bertola as the number 6 heavyweight.

Short article in the March 1948 Ring on Bertola noting him as another of an "invasion" of Italian boxers happening in 1947 including also the arrival oa Duilio Spagnola, the Minelli brothers, Bill Poli, Gino Buonvino and Roberto Proietti. Notes he will be based in Chicago and is being handled by Emil Nanny who is handling Luigi Valentini.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Bertola_Enrico_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (4.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Staal_Harry_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 06-01-2019, 03:14 PM   #1898
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

6th Fight in Round 1

Robert Eugene 1 4 0 W TKO 6/6 Jan Klein 6 6 1

Robert Eugene - HW - Belgium
Career Record: W12(KO 5) / L49(KO 19) / D5

TITLES:
Belgium Heavyweight Title

Original rating I did way back in Jan 2004. I've left that rating but did a new one that I was surprised changed not a whole lot considering I know I have way more of his opponents in my data base now then back then.

Unknown Information has been left blank.

In Sept-Nov 1947 fought in a European Heavyweight Tournament having accoumulated only a
1-4-0 record previous to. Eugene defeated Jan Klein, Giovanni Martin and Piet Wilde in the first 3 rounds before loosing a 12 round decision to Jo Weidin the final. Five months later in April 1948 he lost 12 round decision to Piet Wilde for th Belgium Heavyweight title. Later in Oct 1948 Eugene fought in the European Heavyweight Tournament again knocking out A Jacquemin in round 1 of the first round of the tourny. Eugene lost 8 round decision in the 2nd round to Paco Bueno.

In March 1953 he lost again to Piet Wilde for the Belgium Heavyweight Title by 10th round TKO. Finally in May 1954, Eugene matched up again agains Wilde for the Belgium title, this time knocking out Wilde in the 1st round! Eugne successfully defended his title by 12 round decision over Al Bernard in Sept 1955 and again against Bernard in Feb 1956, before loosing the title to Alain Cherville in July 1956 in another 12 round decision.

The victory over Al Bernard ended up being his last one, as he posted and 0-16-1 Record the rest of his career, stopped in 8 of them. Besides Weidin, Wilde, Martin, Bueno and Cherville, he fought a good number of other "name" Europeans, Most of whom were able to pad thier win records against Eugene.

Jan Klein - HW - Netherlands
Career Record: W8(KO 4) / L12(KO 9) / D2

TITLES:
Dutch Heavyweight Title

DOB has been estimated.

BoxRec lists 3 fights in 1943 and then assuming interuption in his career due to WW2 till he shows up in a fight in Jan 1946 against Rienus De Boer.

In Sept 1946 with a record of only 3-4-1, Klein fights and defeats Dorus Elten in 15 rounds for the Dutch Heavyweight Title. Shows the state of Dutch heavyweight boxing then.

Lost by 6th round TKO to Robert Eugene in Sept 1947 1st round European Heavyweight Tournemant. BoxRec does not show him fight again till July 1948 when he knocks out Kurt Schiegl int eh 2nd round of a schedule 8 round bout. The two meet 3 months later in the 1st round of the 1948 European Heavyweight tournament, this time Schiegl KO'd Klein in the 3rd round.

The included website link contains a 1:47 minute video of Jan Klein's fight in 1950 against Tommy Farr. January 1951 Ring account of the Farr/Klein fight notes it was Farr's return to the ring after a 10 year layoff in front of 20,000 rain soaked fans.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Klein_Jan_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Eugene_Robert_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (3.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 06-07-2019, 11:03 PM   #1899
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

7th fight of the tournament was really between two light heavyweights competing with the heavies. BoxRec lists Giovanni Martin as a heavyweight and with his various fights in his many fight career against some heavies guess you could make some argument for that. I've rated him as a light heavyweight. Mark Elwood did Martin originally as a heavyweight which is included in the file.

Giovanni Martin 37 9 7 W KO 6/? Fernand Honore 10 5 3

Giovanni Martin - LHW/HW - Italy
Career Record: W50(KO 21) / L20(KO 1) / D9

TITLES:
Italy Heavyweight Title
Italy Light Heavyweight Title

Original Rating by Mark Elwood/vistaman44

I rerated Giovanni as a LHW. Yes he strayed into heavyweight competition here but I think he fits better as a light heavy. What information shown on his fight weights fit there.

Lost 12 round decision to Luigi Musina in May 1943 for Italy Light Heavyweight Title. Won the Italy Heavyweight Title in April 1944 with 5th round KO of Merlo Precisco. Lost that title to Duilio Spagnolo by 12 round decision in Dec 1945.

In April 1946 lost again to Luigi Musina in a match for the Italy LHW title another 12 round decision. Was finally victorious taking the Light Heavyweight Title from Fausto Rossi in June 1947 12 round decision. Defended it 3rd round KO of Francesco Anderlucci in Dec 1947.

Lost to Enrico Bertola in Sept 1947 12 round decision for the Italy Heavyweight title.

The May 1948 Ring ran a short bio on Martin calling him "a strong rugged, willing mixer who comes from Italy".

Fernand Honore - LHW - Belgium
Career Record: W14(KO 8) / L10(KO 6) / D4

Lost a 12 round decision to Pol Goffaux in March 1946 for the Belgium Light Heavyweight title and then again, same results in Feb 1947. Then later in 1947 moved up his weight to fight with the heavyweight to no success looking 3rd round TKO to Jack London and then was KO'd in the 6th in the first round of the European Heavyweight tournament in Sept 1947.

In 1948 he contended in an international light heavyweight tournament winning in the first two round before loosing the semi-final then was KO'd in the 2nd in the 3rd place match. He fought one more time winning in late December 1948 then his Boxrec not fighting for over two years before showing up in 1951 loosing two fights.

The article written interviewing Honore, in November 2015 in the included biography website mentions Fernand as a tall boxer, 1.87m (approx 6' 1-1/2") He starting fighting as an amateur in 1941 compiling the account says 15 wins, one match and 3 defeats.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Honore_Fernand_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Martin_Giovanni_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.8 KB, 48 views)
Old 06-08-2019, 03:14 PM   #1900
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Last bout in the 1st round of this 1947 European Heavyweight Tournament. Enjoyed this. Sorry took a little while. Work on these as best can time permitting. Hope you enjoyed......

Pierre Van Deuren 14 11 0 W TKO 3rd Michel Maurer 22 18 1

Michael Maurer - HW - Luxembourg
Career Record: W22(KO 13) / L18(KO 8) / D1

Original rating by LeeSkye

The Wiki website places Maurer's DOB as 8 July 1904. He participatd in the 1924 Summer Olympics as a light heavyweight. He was eliminated in the 2nd round by John Courtis of Great Britain.

Maurer fought regularly from 1928 through 1932. After a 10 round decision over Jack Humbeeck in December 1929, he left Europe in January 1930 for the U.S. He fought 10 times in the 1930 in the US with a 6-4-0 record the last fight being in late November 1930 when he suffered an injury to his jaw agains Frank Montagna, in the 6th round. After that he went back to Europe not fighting for a whole year.

In November 1931 he returned to the ring but was KO'd by Walter Neusel. In 1932 he first won a 10 round decision over Arthur Meurant but then lost a 10 round decision to Gustave Limousin and in December, in Manchester England he went up against Canadian heavyweight great, Larry Gains. This was Maurer's one marquee match in his career. He was no match for Gains getting knocked out in the 4th round.

It was then over another year till January 1934 before he fought a couple times in Jan and March 1934 loosing both fights. He climbed back into the ring in August 1936 for a 10 round points win over a Jean Swevers. Then we see an almost 11 year hiatus for Maurer when he comes back out of retirement apparently first in March first knocking out A Jacquemin in 1 round and then he retires in the 7th round in a battle with Georges Martin. Finaly in September 1947 he participates in the 1947 European heavyweight tournament only to be stoppped in the 3rd round Pierre Van Deuren.

Pierre van Deuren - HW - Belgium
Career Record: W15(KO 10) / L13(KO 11) / D0

van Deuren is another fighter I first did back in May 2004 posted in the HW Boxer Rated.
Here he is updated. Rocco

TITLES:
Belgium Heavyweight Title

First listed fight in BoxRec March 1941 was a 4th round loss to Karel Sys in a fight billed for teh Belgium Heavyweight title?! After loosing a 10 round decision to Gustave Roth in Oct 1943 in a semi final Belgium heavyweight competition, Van Deuren fought infrequently over the nexxt couple years beating first All Gerard but then getting stopped by Karel Sys, Stephane Olek and Pol Goffaux. After a couple win then finally in lat 1945 it set him up to fight Piet Wilde in March 1946 for the Belgium Heavyweight Tilte. Van Deuren was victorious in a 12 round decision. Lost the title to Wilde though in a rematch in November the same year with Wilde knocking out Pierre in the 10th.

Pierre after a win in March 1947 against Jan Declercq then participated in the 1947 European heavyweight tournament. He beat Michel Maurer in the first round but was KO'd in the 2nd in round 2 by Stephane Olek. One more KO loss in November 1947 to Carl Nielsen finished his career.

In the other rounds of the tournament....
Round 2
Enrico Bertola lost by TKO 1st round to Jo Weidin
Stephane Olek KO 2nd round over Pierre Van Deuren
Piet Wilde KO 3rd round over Giulio De Paolis
Giovanni Martin lost 6 round decision to Robert Eugene

Semi - Final Round...
Jo Weidin defeated Stephane Olek in a 10 round decision
Piet Wilde Lost 7th round KO to Robert Eugene

3rd Place Finish Bout...
Stephane Olek knocked out Piet Wilde in 8th round.

Final Championship..
Joe Weidin won 12 round decision over Robert Eugen
Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 vanDeuren_Pierre_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Maurer_Michael_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (3.5 KB, 57 views)