Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 07-31-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
vtotter
Minors (Rookie Ball)

New Position Question

I have a stud minor league 1B who I am optimistic I can teach to play a mediocre 3B given his average infield ratings. I believe I could get him to a 4 out of 10 rating by the end of spring training. This would help me out as I have a logjam at 1B/DH and no viable 3B for next year when he would be called up.

My question is: will teaching a new position at AAA (and the struggles that come with it) affect his development as a hitter at all? He has a half season in the minors + spring training to learn, but if learning to play 3B (which he would only likely do for a year) is going to keep him from reaching his potential as a hitter, it probably won't be worth it for me to do it.

Thanks for your thoughts.
vtotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
AndrewG
Major Leagues

On two occasions I converted players form one position to another. Of course you do this only when you have a good batter and are willing to accept a little less than stellar defence!

In one case I got a decent fielder, in the other case he sucked fielding. Now in BOTH cases thier bat WASNT effected. Although in the case of the latter bad fileder, I traded him when it was clear he couldnt play to the converted position. ON his new team he hit well for the next few seasons.

Now I am not sure if this was just luck.. were only talking two players.. It might be a fluke...
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Pirate Fan
Minors (Double A)

In the online league in which I participate, quite a few players have been taught new postitions. I have not seen any evidence that it has hurt there development as hitters. It has always taken quite a while for the players to bcome adaquate fielders at the new position though. I'd definately recommend that you not wait until spring training to get started. My guess is that even after half a season at the new position in AAA and ST, his fielding at 3rd will be pretty brutal.

Also, teams haven't had real good luck teaching first basemen to play 3B and have had a lot more success converting them to the OF. I suppose if he has half-decent ratings for infield range, error and arm he'll do OK in the long run though.
Pirate Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

I had a 1B that I wanted to play 3B as a backup position since I had a few players that played ss and 2B, and needed a backup 3B. I had to scrap the plan because after playing in the minors to learn 3B his fielding average was a brutal .890, .920-.940 would be acceptable - but not .890
SandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
Dave1408
Minors (Double A)

Does he have high work ethic and intelligence? Because this will also affect how quickly and how well he learns the new position.
Dave1408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
vtotter
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks you guys.

For reference, his infield defensive numbers are (out of 10):
Range: 5
Error: 10
Arm: 5
DP: 3
He is a 9 defensively at 1st.

He has a 9 work ethic and a 9 intelligence.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtotter View Post
Thanks you guys.

Not a good enough arm to be a thirdbaseman.....
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
vtotter
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
Not good enough to learn the position? Or not good enough to be a quality 3rd baseman? I realize he certainly wouldn't be ideal, but like I implied before, I'm in a position where I'm willing to trade a good bit of defense for his bat for 1 year (or at least give it a try). I see in my league there are several players with Arms as low as 4 that have 3B ratings as high as 10. I'm not saying that this player could reach a 10 rating or even close, given his other ratings, just thinking it wouldn't be a stretch that he could reach a 4 and not kick around 100 balls year out there. Below are some filtered ratings from my league that suggest that (or better) is certainly possible. He should potentially be better than the 1st player on the 2nd list, right? Anyway, thanks to everyone for their responses on my original question.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:

I'm not suggesting that he CAN'T play third or learn the position, I just don't like putting players where their skill set doesn't match up....
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:19 PM   #10
vtotter
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
I'm not suggesting that he CAN'T play third or learn the position, I just don't like putting players where their skill set doesn't match up....
Thanks Questdog. I normally wouldn't either, but if i can't swing the right trade by my deadline I consider this a special circumstance where it's worth a shot if he's not a total butcher.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:08 PM   #11
satchel
Hall Of Famer

It will potentially affect his hitting. With his high intelligence and work ethic, his hitting ratings might not end up being diminished, but when you teach a young player a new position, there's a risk that it will hurt his hitting skills.
FL New Orleans Black Sox ’56 ’57 ’58 ’59
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:14 PM   #12
Pirate Fan
Minors (Double A)

Let us know how he does if you make the change.

If I was running a bookie joint I'd put the over/under for errors at around 40 if he gets 150+ starts at third next season and his range factor at .5 less than the average for your league at the position. I'd expect him to be an adequate but below average fielder at 3B the year after.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:45 PM   #13
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

Personally, I try to teach my young players as many positions as I can jam into their heads. I would definitely put this guy in at third base. He won't be terrible.
Nutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:14 PM   #14
lencombs
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtotter View Post
Thanks you guys.

i agree with questdog, this guy is best suited to play 1b. you said you have a logjam at 1b/dh trade one of them for the best 3b you can get and make room for this guy, or trade this guy for a 3b prospect.

but in the meantime let him learn 3b, that way if he does stay with you he could cover 3b on a short term basis in an injury situation, plus you could change his primary position to 3b when you shop him and might get different bites than you do with him shopped as a 1b, depending on other teams needs.

lencombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #15
oman19
All Star Starter

On Average how long does it take for a player to learn a new positions and does it go by Innings played or Games played? Thanks for the help guys.
oman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #16
Pirate Fan
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman19 View Post
On Average how long does it take for a player to learn a new positions and does it go by Innings played or Games played? Thanks for the help guys.
My experience has been that it takes two seasons to teach an infielder or C with fair ratings in OF error and OF range to play a corner OF postition reasonably well. They usually reduce their errors significantly after the first season, but when I have tried to do this their range remains bad until they've had two seasons out there.

I think it takes a lot less time to teach players 1B adquately. I have never been successful in teaching a 1B or OF to play 3B.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #17
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It goes by innings played. The time requirement is determined by a mix of variables. For example, the younger the player, the more quickly he'll learn a position. If a player plays at a new position for a full season, and he meets all the requirements, he almost always learns it.
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:00 AM   #18
oman19
All Star Starter

Thanks for the help guys. I just bought this game 2 weeks ago and I'm amazed at the help you find in the forums...I really appreciate it seeing as how in depth this game is and how anal I am about a realistic experience.
oman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #19
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Actually, unless it was changed very recently, I'm fairly sure that it goes by games played, unfortunately.
Nutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #20
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Just curious. Being an Astros fan I have seen the team turn minor leagues from fielders to pitchers and pitchers to fielders. A couple of examples Brandon Backe went from SS to MR to SP with mixed results because his bat was weak and Brian Bogusevic went from a SP to an OF. The Cards also did that with Ankiel very successfully. Can a pitcher learn a fielding position or a fielder pitch if you play them as the new position?
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote