Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:44 PM   #61
hillm2ca
Minors (Triple A)

The rarest thing that I have seen in OOTP was with my 1981 Detroit Tigers franchise when they were no-hit in 14 innings against the Texas Rangers. Obviously, it was a combined no-hitter but Rangers' starter Charlie Hough and Tigers' starter Jack Morris each pitched twelve innings, primarily because they had really good pitch counts as they headed into extra innings.
The game ended 1-0 on a wild pitch. Go figure.
hillm2ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:09 AM   #62
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillm2ca View Post
The rarest thing that I have seen in OOTP was with my 1981 Detroit Tigers franchise when they were no-hit in 14 innings against the Texas Rangers. Obviously, it was a combined no-hitter but Rangers' starter Charlie Hough and Tigers' starter Jack Morris each pitched twelve innings, primarily because they had really good pitch counts as they headed into extra innings.
The game ended 1-0 on a wild pitch. Go figure.
It's a pity really that OOTP doesn't track combined no-hitters.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #63
Scottj62
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by strakapoud View Post
In my fictional world, I've played out every game of my team for 15 seasons (well, actually I just sorta rebooted the league due to corrupted files but that's a story for another day, I don't regret that) over last two calendar years.

I've never seen a four-HR game or a .400 AVG.

I've seen stolen home once... against me.

One perfect game (very satisfying). One triple play (in the first month of the first season... go and figure). Three no-hitters, one of them clinching division series. Several inside-the-parks.

Several other very memorable moments (while not exactly unicorns in the sense of original question):
- my legendary SP, not exactly known for his contact, never mind power, hitting a grand slam.
- a 22-inning game, also in my first season, if I remember correctly.
- three bench-clearing brawls in a single game. I was directly responsible for only one of them. Lots of suspensions flying.
- last night, a walk-off strikeout swinging reaching first... on a wild pitch. Didn't know it was even possible (I have of course seen lots of reaching first on passed balls).
Yes, on a dropped third strike, the batter can advance to first base, unless he is tagged or forced at first......
I just had this happen in a game today....the 6th game of the 65 world series no less, in the bottom of the 16th inning.....it kept the White Sox alive vs the Braves. Braves ended up winning by 1 run in Game 7.
Scottj62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 04:39 PM   #64
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
If it is a strikeout and reaching on a wild pitch, it means the batter swung at a very bad pitch....smart fellows have been know to do this on purpose to reach base.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:06 PM   #65
Dukie98
All Star Reserve

For a season level achievement-- my very first season had a four-way tie for the NL West.

For an individual game-- somehow, Yasiel Puig managed to hit a single but was called out on an appeal for missing first base. I can't even visualize how that would happen. But if there's one player who would do that in the 8th inning of a World Series game, Puig seems pretty appropriate...
Attached Images
Dukie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:37 PM   #66
webrian
Minors (Triple A)

Jeff freaking Torborg coming off the bench in the 9th inning and hitting a 3-run homer to help the 1965 Dodgers beat the 1961 New York Yankees.

In the same series (which the Dodgers won 4 games to 1) Joe Gilliam started a triple play on a hard-hit ball to third base, destroying a 1961 Yanks rally.

Last edited by webrian; 11-16-2016 at 11:39 PM.
webrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:12 AM   #67
Vezna31
All Star Starter

Seen Many Things!

I have been a user since OOTP 6 in 2003. I have played out 65 seasons in 1 fictional league, and a total of probably close to 150 seasons altogether. I have thrown no-hitters, have been no-hit, threw a perfect game, seen many triple plays, seen a number of inside-the-park HR's, but I would have to say that the rarest thing I have ever seen was when my team started off a game hitting 6 HRs in a row. That was awesome!

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post2484215
Old 11-17-2016, 02:25 AM   #68
Vezna31
All Star Starter

Also, in my historical league Edd Roush had a 66 game hitting streak in 1924 for the White Sox while managed by the AI.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:54 AM   #69
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

All Star Game Madness!

What a brutal night at the Midsummer Classic in an older random debut league I tried.
Attached Images
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:00 AM   #70
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

I think this might be pretty high on the list for rare events. I've never seen it before, anyway.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ebut-game.html
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #71
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukie98 View Post
For a season level achievement-- my very first season had a four-way tie for the NL West.

For an individual game-- somehow, Yasiel Puig managed to hit a single but was called out on an appeal for missing first base. I can't even visualize how that would happen. But if there's one player who would do that in the 8th inning of a World Series game, Puig seems pretty appropriate...
Somehow running past the base without touching it?

And as you say, Puig seems somehow appropriate.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:30 PM   #72
Dukie98
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Somehow running past the base without touching it?

And as you say, Puig seems somehow appropriate.
If it was a double or triple, and he missed first, that's easy enough to envision. But it was listed as a single. You'd think he would have gone back and touched first after the ball was thrown back to the pitcher prior to the appeal play.
Dukie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:45 PM   #73
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

There can be no appeal play at first on a single. It is impossible.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:20 PM   #74
boggs26
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
There can be no appeal play at first on a single. It is impossible.
Why? What if the batter overruns the bag without touching it on a play where the fielder doesn't even make a throw but then goes straight onto taking a lead without ever touching the bag? Seems like there could be an appeal play there as the runner standing in the path between 1st and 2nd has never touched the base.

Although as I think about it, that appeal would look no different than a pick off since if the runner stepped back to the bag on the throw over they would complete the single.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
boggs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:24 PM   #75
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggs26 View Post
Why? What if the batter overruns the bag without touching it on a play where the fielder doesn't even make a throw but then goes straight onto taking a lead without ever touching the bag? Seems like there could be an appeal play there as the runner standing in the path between 1st and 2nd has never touched the base.

Although as I think about it, that appeal would look no different than a pick off since if the runner stepped back to the bag on the throw over they would complete the single.

If the runner never touches first and the fielders have not put him out, the umpires would not let a new batter come to the plate as the ball is still live and the previous play has not concluded. You cannot appeal a missed bag until the base runner has taken possession of the next base.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:41 AM   #76
boggs26
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
If the runner never touches first and the fielders have not put him out, the umpires would not let a new batter come to the plate as the ball is still live and the previous play has not concluded. You cannot appeal a missed bag until the base runner has taken possession of the next base.
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Edit: could there be an appeal of the runner who never actually touched first advanced to second on an error? It would still show in the box score as a single.

Last edited by boggs26; 11-21-2016 at 05:42 AM.
boggs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:19 AM   #77
zappa1
All Star Starter

I had 2 playing this year.

1. Max Scherzer K's 20 four days after he did it in real life. Kinda spooky.

2. My 1st ever pickoff at 2nd base. I have never seen this before. And I go back quite a few versions. Still haven't seen one at thirdbase.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:41 PM   #78
cavebutter
All Star Starter

I have had one perfect game, one no-hitter, and a handful of inside the park home runs.

I've never had a steal of home; a pickoff anywhere other than first; or a triple play. I've also never had a brawl in a game that I manage. I think it's because I exude a calming influence...

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:29 PM   #79
smiller
Major Leagues

Here's one I've never seen before. In my 1933 historical game, Pepper Martin led off a game with a triple then was called out by the hidden ball trick.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:21 PM   #80
The_Offspring187
Major Leagues

I've been playing since Season Ticket Baseball that I got from EB Games back in 2001 or 2002. In all my years (a lot of simming but a lot of played/watched games too) I've seen one no-hitter which was either earlier this year or last year in real life, I've seen one triple play and that was just a few weeks ago. I just had a team win 115 games in a season in my new fictional league (I'm simming the past right now so I'm not managing anybody). On an old version I saw a team 24 game winning streak.

Sent from my N810 using Tapatalk
The_Offspring187 is offline   Reply With Quote