Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:55 AM   #1
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Exclamation OOTP 17 Update #10 HOTFIX, Version 17.11.73 Available!

Important: This update is only for OOTP 17 versions which were purchased directly from us or resellers who use our version.
It is NOT compatible with the Steam or Mac OSX AppStore version! The Steam update is available via the Steam client and the Mac AppStore version is pending review at Apple, which will take some more days.

Hey folks!

Unfortunately, update #10 introduced a critical bug which causes the AI to release recently acquired players. Today's update, version 17.11.73 fixes this issue.

We strongly advise to install this update!

Update Info for our webstore customers: To apply the update, simply download the setup file and install it over your current installation. There is no need to uninstall or unlicense your current copy! However, you should quit the game before installing it, of course. updates always contain all the changes from previous updates. Saved games are compatible between different versions.

Download link for PC:
Main server: PC Installer

Download link for Mac:
Main Server: Mac OSX Installer

Download link for Linux:
Main Server: Linux Installer

Thank you very much for your support!

Markus & the OOTP Team
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:59 AM   #2
philthepat

Thanks Markus! Appreciate all the hard work in getting these issues fixed quickly
philthepat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:26 AM   #3
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Yes, and Markus, don't take what you saw in the other thread to heart. You have created and continue to improve a great product which, due to its complexity, often needs tweaks. Given the overall quality of the product, I have patience with the multiple patches.

There is certainly no need to "rewrite the engine" for the sake of some minor issues that are now fixed. People who say that have no clue as to what that would entail and how long it would take.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 09-29-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #4
Andy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Yes, and Markus, don't take what you saw in the other thread to heart. You have created and continue to improve a great product which, due to its complexity, often needs tweaks. Given the overall quality of the product, I have patience with the multiple patches.

There is certainly no need to "rewrite the engine" for the sake of some minor issues that are now fixed. People who say that have no clue as to what that would entail and how long it would take.
I agree with most of what you said, except I don't think this last issue was minor even though it may have been a simple fix.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:43 AM   #5
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I absolutely agree. Don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

However, there is a problem with the process that has resulted in multiple "hotfix" patches during this development cycle. The customer base has expressed concern and dissatisfaction over the product quality. It would be wise for OOTPD to examine their development process, find the root cause of this quality problem, and correct it before next year's cycle.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #6
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post

However, there is a problem with the process that has resulted in multiple "hotfix" patches during this development cycle. The customer base has expressed concern and dissatisfaction over the product quality. It would be wise for OOTPD to examine their development process, find the root cause of this quality problem, and correct it before next year's cycle.
Yeah, we certainly hope to make changes to our patching/testing process to narrow these gaps, and not have issues like we have seen crop up.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:24 AM   #7
bss007
Bat Boy

I think for next year, if possible, that updates shouldn't be required on Steam. The hotfix's wouldn't be so bad if we weren't required to download the patches until we knew they were functional.
bss007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:24 AM   #8
statfreak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Yeah, we certainly hope to make changes to our patching/testing process to narrow these gaps, and not have issues like we have seen crop up.
Is this an automatic reply that posts every month or so? Been hearing this same line for the past 15 years so doubt it will actually ever happen.

Not that it matters to me as I keep giving my money to Markus year after year, but would rather see some actual progress than lip service.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:26 AM   #9
mjmelen
Bat Boy

Thanks, and a suggestion

Many thanks for continuing to support this wonderful game! I play it every day with few exceptions.

A suggestion: when the team's pitchers are accessed, default to showing the pitching stats. When the team's batters are accessed, default to showing the batting stats. It should be a simple fix, but is a bit frustrating that it usually defaults to the wrong stats. Not a major problem, but...
mjmelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:28 AM   #10
tward13
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmelen View Post
Many thanks for continuing to support this wonderful game! I play it every day with few exceptions.

A suggestion: when the team's pitchers are accessed, default to showing the pitching stats. When the team's batters are accessed, default to showing the batting stats. It should be a simple fix, but is a bit frustrating that it usually defaults to the wrong stats. Not a major problem, but...
Ha, I've been complaining about that for several versions. But to me it seems to work ok now. Only randomly do I find myself with the wrong selection of stats.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:34 AM   #11
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Quote:

I think all the patches this year are a testament to incredibly complex OOTP has become. Plus, keep in mind they have a shoestring budget and a skeleton crew. AND they've managed to keep the price stable for a very long time. (SOM computer Baseball costs close to $50-60, add in a few season disks and you're looking at $70 for a game that isn't nearly as robust as OOTP)

It's amazing what they're doing.

If it were a larger software company, I'd probably be a little frustrated. But for these guys, considering what they do and how they go about doing it, I will always cut them some slack and keep supporting the product, because the product is inherently excellent.

I wouldn't do that with anyone else.

Last edited by drksd4848; 09-29-2016 at 11:35 AM.
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:58 AM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward13 View Post
Ha, I've been complaining about that for several versions. But to me it seems to work ok now. Only randomly do I find myself with the wrong selection of stats.
it carries over the formatting from other pages you visit - not sure which ones off the top of my head. so, they need to make a couple pages exclusive on that particular facet of the presentation.

figured it would be easy like a css for html, but xml kinda sucks at that stuff, lol. still, i'm sure it's quite simple.

or, just use css with xml... never used it, i don't know hte pitfalls... it's supposedly a bad idea. since we're just talking about a ui display, maybe not a big deal.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #13
statfreak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
it carries over the formatting from other pages you visit - not sure which ones off the top of my head. so, they need to make a couple pages exclusive on that particular facet of the presentation.

figured it would be easy like a css for html, but xml kinda sucks at that stuff, lol. still, i'm sure it's quite simple.

or, just use css with xml... never used it, i don't know hte pitfalls... it's supposedly a bad idea. since we're just talking about a ui display, maybe not a big deal.
The problem with that is I don't want to see the default stats, I want the game to use my custom views. I suppose they could make a setting that asks which view should be the default on each screen.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:22 PM   #14
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Good response to my post. Putting the two posts together is in my opinion the most constructive commentary we can offer OOTPD, as Matt's reply indicates.

- Bru

Old 09-29-2016, 01:39 PM   #15
MKG1734
Minors (Triple A)

Regardless of what was said by the 'loyalists' in this thread thus far. I'm reposting a version of this so that more people can see it.

Just look at the previous thread. And the one for the 'update' before it. And the one before that.

Markus. Matt.

You are in the process of hurting the game's future. Sure, not for some people who will buy it, even if it is broken. Those people don't matter in a business sense, though, when it comes to growing your base.

The game's engine needs a LOT of work. There can be no argument to this. The roster logic / the in-game AI strategy logic / trade logic / free agent logic ... it ALL needs substantial work.

Look at the comments in the threads who aren't going to pre-order. That was me this year -- after purchasing the game for several consecutive years -- I didnt even buy it after noticing all the buggy updates. People can claim all they want that last year's version worked 'perfectly.' They are using rose-colored glasses. Last's years game had some 'Hotfixes' as well - but - it also still had allllll of the on-going roster logic / in-game AI logic / etc. When sales start to stagnate, or even fall, it will be even harder to catch back up.

The point being, from a business perspective:
What some members above say - who will defend the game ad nauseum - NEW buyers, who aren't already loyal like so many have been, will not come back to a game that doesn't work well.

Please, work on these issues. They are important in the long run because you need the retention rate of new customers to keep funding the development of the game.

I really want to play the game, again. As do so many people.

Think of the new people, as well. They won't come back like the loyalists if they buy the game for the first time and its a train wreck like this years has been.

A commuter above put it well and aids my point at the hindrance of his own: OOTP has a small crew with limited resources. Don't squander them. There is only so much time. Devote it to ensuring the game's engine is sound before adding bells and whistles to it.

A simpler game that works is better than a fancy game that doesn't work.

For the record: This is not to 'flame' the game. It is constructive criticism.

Last edited by MKG1734; 09-29-2016 at 01:45 PM.
MKG1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #16
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Thanks Markus.

Going to wait a bit before installing though. I'm actually still on a version from 2 patches ago. I always wait now because issues seem to be popping up quite regularly with this version.

Those of you who installed it, can you please give us the "okay" to go ahead and do the same. Thanks!
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:07 PM   #17
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKG1734 View Post
Regardless of what was said by the 'loyalists' in this thread thus far. I'm reposting a version of this so that more people can see it.

Just look at the previous thread. And the one for the 'update' before it. And the one before that.

Markus. Matt.

You are in the process of hurting the game's future. Sure, not for some people who will buy it, even if it is broken. Those people don't matter in a business sense, though, when it comes to growing your base.

The game's engine needs a LOT of work. There can be no argument to this. The roster logic / the in-game AI strategy logic / trade logic / free agent logic ... it ALL needs substantial work.

Look at the comments in the threads who aren't going to pre-order. That was me this year -- after purchasing the game for several consecutive years -- I didnt even buy it after noticing all the buggy updates. People can claim all they want that last year's version worked 'perfectly.' They are using rose-colored glasses. Last's years game had some 'Hotfixes' as well - but - it also still had allllll of the on-going roster logic / in-game AI logic / etc. When sales start to stagnate, or even fall, it will be even harder to catch back up.

The point being, from a business perspective:
What some members above say - who will defend the game ad nauseum - NEW buyers, who aren't already loyal like so many have been, will not come back to a game that doesn't work well.

Please, work on these issues. They are important in the long run because you need the retention rate of new customers to keep funding the development of the game.

I really want to play the game, again. As do so many people.

Think of the new people, as well. They won't come back like the loyalists if they buy the game for the first time and its a train wreck like this years has been.

A commuter above put it well and aids my point at the hindrance of his own: OOTP has a small crew with limited resources. Don't squander them. There is only so much time. Devote it to ensuring the game's engine is sound before adding bells and whistles to it.

A simpler game that works is better than a fancy game that doesn't work.

For the record: This is not to 'flame' the game. It is constructive criticism.
Let's just focus on the bolded sentence. Exactly what issues at this particular time need to be fixed? Please be explicit.

- Bru

Old 09-29-2016, 03:07 PM   #18
Gudy2Shoes
Minors (Single A)

I installed this patch, and the FaceGen files are failing to display on various screens in the game (this is happening in multiple leagues, solo games, online, etc.)
Gudy2Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:13 PM   #19
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Let's just focus on the bolded sentence. Exactly what issues at this particular time need to be fixed? Please be explicit.
Historical Minors.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:26 PM   #20
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Yes, historical minors can use some improvements, but there are more pertinent issues than an optional historical feature only 5% of players use.

We all have our own pet peeves. Markus and co. can't fix all of them, and we should be fine with what was fixed.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote