Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:22 PM   #21
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

You guys rock! Thanks!
OBSL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:38 PM   #22
Hoiles
All Star Reserve

Just took a quick spin with the update, it looks pretty good. In particular:
- AI no longer appears to put mop-up guys in the closer role
- AI teams now release veterans (vets appear to now refuse demotion)
- in historical w/ minors imports, teenage players aren't automatically put on 40-man rosters

The only thing is, I suggested some fixes yesterday to the historical minors that were looked out by the roster crew (e.g. Johan Santana duplicates), are they going to be released soon? Thanks!
Hoiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #23
dwin
Bat Boy

This Update is already up on the Apple App store - a lot faster this time!
dwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:44 PM   #24
GoBucsGo
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmooth View Post
Has this patch addressed Free Agency signings? The only problem I am having - is seeing players like Mike Trout and Bryce Harper for example - have high demands initially entering FA, then not signing with anyone until basically the start of spring training --- then signing one year contracts. This is unrealistic for a player to sign and enter free agency every year. This needs to be looked at.
Haven't played the game in weeks because of this issue. It seems like they don't think it's a big deal. Ah well, guess I'll wait for ootp 18 and see if it's remedied.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
GoBucsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #25
Game On
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Schedule Issue

Your updates and this version is outstanding!
Formed two new teams through expansion. Your program
makes it easy and have done this several times since purchasing
ootp17. Developing my team (this time) was easier through trades
with this newest update.

BUT, when checking our schedule, (Hawaii-of course) it doesn't
exist. Neither does Mexico City. Since we're in the second day
of the new season, I can no longer edit. If seems that my efforts
are down the drain with this expansion and will have to delete this
season and start all over.

Other than this small insignificant issue, everything's working great.
Lol, but ouch and %$#*!
I know, next time SAVE your work. Any possible solution would be
GREATLY appreciated!
Great game, can't wait for BTS!
Game On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:42 PM   #26
Assos
All Star Starter

Always back up
Assos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:03 PM   #27
TwinsGuy34
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I always start every "gripe" post by saying I love the game and you guys do fantastic work. I say that because I mean it and don't want to sound like I'm whining.

That said.

The FA issue that a couple others have brought up and addressed by Markus is indeed a continuing issue. I'm not sure how the OOTP team isn't seeing it, but it's been evident in both my fictional league, modern ML format and standard ML league.

The "big" FA position players ask/demand a lot of money, which hardly any team can pay, and they'll end up signing a 1 year deal for 7-8 million in mid March. BTW, it's not just position players, this covers all players.

I'll take advantage of this when offering qualifying offers. For example, I'll offer a 15M qualifying offer to my pretty good closer being almost positive he'll turn it down and test Free Agency hoping for a big and lengthy contract. I'll in turn get a supplemental pick out of the deal................. It all works out for me because I'm not paying a closer what he asks, usually a 5-7 year deal at 11-13M a season. I'm not doing that. I have the exact same kind of scenarios play out w/ positional players, when a 34 year old veteran will want a 7-8 year deal at 18M a year. Usually, I'm not doing that for whatever reason and I'll do the qualifying offer.

Well, I'll get the email the next March during ST saying I get a supplemental pick for my former closer (or position player) signing w/ another team. I'll then look at what he got from that other team and it'll be a one year deal for 3.5M (or 4.5M or similar). Or 6.5-8.5M for the position player.

It happens w/ pitchers and all positions. Between my 2 leagues, I go through this exact scenario w/ at least 1 player, I'd say, every other season, sometimes more/less frequently.

This is just to show that it's going on. And keep in mind, this is w/ only MY teams. There are better than 12-15 FA players every year who are good to great players asking for a lot of money, which they never get, only to sign the next spring on a one year deal for a 1/4 of what they were asking for when Free Agency started the last November. It affects all teams, and in turn, the league.

Last edited by TwinsGuy34; 04-29-2016 at 04:45 PM.
TwinsGuy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:26 PM   #28
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

same thing happened to Ian Desmond this year ..... weird stuff this free agency and the money they are asking. no wonder i stay stuck in the dead-ball era and the decade following it.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:31 PM   #29
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkenn View Post
same thing happened to Ian Desmond this year ..... weird stuff this free agency and the money they are asking. no wonder i stay stuck in the dead-ball era and the decade following it.
I'd start in 1871 if the game properly supported it. I don't think I've ever finished a post WWII season.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:39 PM   #30
TwinsGuy34
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkenn View Post
Sure, it can happen. Of course.

But to at least a dozen guys? Every year?
Old 04-29-2016, 04:46 PM   #31
GoBucsGo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsGuy34 View Post
Sure, it can happen. Of course.

But to at least a dozen guys? Every year?
Exactly, 4 years and 4 different teams for Mike trout after he became a free agent.

This has happened in EVERY game I've started. Modern day, historical, fictional, everything.

It's kind of a slap in the face for the devs to say it isn't an issue when a lot of us are SCREAMING that it is.

I've NEVER stopped playing an ootp game this early after release. But until this issue is fixed I can't bare play this game and have it be ruined when I hit the offseason

Old 04-29-2016, 05:27 PM   #32
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucsGo View Post
Exactly, 4 years and 4 different teams for Mike trout after he became a free agent.

This has happened in EVERY game I've started. Modern day, historical, fictional, everything.

It's kind of a slap in the face for the devs to say it isn't an issue when a lot of us are SCREAMING that it is.

I've NEVER stopped playing an ootp game this early after release. But until this issue is fixed I can't bare play this game and have it be ruined when I hit the offseason

We've never said it isn't an issue. All we've said is in the times that we have tested it, we have certainly not seen it as a huge issue. We have also repeatedly said that we will get around to investigating it. We are not ignoring the concerns, however we do not have unlimited resources.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:29 PM   #33
GoBucsGo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
We've never said it isn't an issue. All we've said is in the times that we have tested it, we have certainly not seen it as a huge issue. We have also repeatedly said that we will get around to investigating it. We are not ignoring the concerns, however we do not have unlimited resources.
If that wasn't said, then I apologize for saying you guys said it. I swear I read Markus say it wasn't an issue.

And I hope you guys aren't taking this as an attack on the game. I'm a faithful buyer of the ootp series, and I will buy 18 on preorder day with no hesistation.

17 is amazing, this one issue is just killing it for me and many others. If you guys recognize it as a problem, I can breathe a sigh of relief. You guys are always quick to fix things once you find the problem. Hope I didn't come off as an A-hole in my previous posts

Old 04-29-2016, 06:43 PM   #34
endgame
Hall Of Famer

I have mixed feelings about the issue, if we can call it that. It's primarily driven by financial resources. Just because the league is tight, doesn't mean a FA won't ask for more than any team is able to provide. That's the nature of economics and/or greed. "Get me what I can." So it may be a case of the league not generating enough cash or overall revenues to accommodate these kinds of requests. On the other hand, if they did have the resources, you'd see within a matter of a couple of years or more the salaries escalating to a point where the diminishing returns put the league right back in a similar position. So it's an issue of affordability on both the player's part and the team's.

On the player's part, particularly in fictional environments, I can understand, or maybe better is rationalize?, the idea of setting for less for a one year. Look, I wanted 20 million over 4 years, but I'll take 3-1/2 for one with the idea that an extension may be more affordable as the system works and I can get a long term deal that way for bigger bucks.

It's a two-way street and at least one direction can use adjustment. My money's on the player end. Understand the league's capital investment ceilings or learn them by the kinds of offers sent your way. If the average offers top out at well below your asking price for a long term deal, then 'learn' long term deals are going to be less available. Ask for less, or better yet, ask for a backloaded configuration. The league may not be fluid now, but your future years might be more dynamic, unless you'll be 34 by then. In that case, league's right. Hit the road or take a lower one year agreement and we'll talk later.

As goes numbers, no data to support, but IMHO 1-6 yeah. 6-12, financial woes and somebody needs to adjust. The solution that seems to be advocated here, although very inadvertently, is that these guys should be getting higher salaries and put on these teams. How? Throw more money into the league's finances? I think the answer is allowing the player- minus Mr. Greed -a broader view of the league's real picture and his place in it. Maybe be more willing to agree to 3 years instead of 9. The one years look more like arbitration buy-outs with extensions we use to avoid them. If the player's treating it like that, then, well, let him wait for his payday. Like I say, mixed feelings. Even 15 guys in a league with 75 top players is not overly-concerning to me as they're still playing. They'll extend or they'll become FA next year and face the same dilemma. The top guy situation that is of most concern to me is the one sitting in AAA making 3.5 mil a year, but that's a whole other situation. FWIW

Last edited by endgame; 04-30-2016 at 12:52 AM.
endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:15 PM   #35
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Did Gee Gordon 80 Games make it into Rosters? Also Historical Draft Pools up to date so like 1998 Draft Pool would be the same as the one in real life from that year maybe?
Old 04-29-2016, 10:33 PM   #36
TwinsGuy34
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Nope, does not happen in our tests.

OK, back on topic
Not to start anything here but this was posted yesterday. (re: the FA issue)

I think the good folks at OOTP can understand why some of us are being sort of "alarmists" about the issue. We see the issue, we know it's there, but we read this instead. So yeah, it's basically been said it's a non-issue, or a minor one which can be fixed w/ a few adjustments on our part.

I know you guys will look at it further. That's great.

Last edited by TwinsGuy34; 04-29-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:51 PM   #37
jd200600
Minors (Double A)

I might be posting this in the wrong spot, but the download keeps freezing at 248/825 MB. I have tried a few times, and even restarted with no luck. Any ideas?
jd200600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:16 AM   #38
GoBucsGo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsGuy34 View Post
Not to start anything here but this was posted yesterday. (re: the FA issue)

I think the good folks at OOTP can understand why some of us are being sort of "alarmists" about the issue. We see the issue, we know it's there, but we read this instead. So yeah, it's basically been said it's a non-issue, or a minor one which can be fixed w/ a few adjustments on our part.

I know you guys will look at it further. That's great.
Alright so I'm not crazy. I knew I read him say that. That's where my initial disappoint came from. Like what we're saying and seeing just wasn't true and we were making it up. Quite a shock for the issue to just be swept under the rug like that by the big dog in charge.

Last edited by GoBucsGo; 04-30-2016 at 05:17 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:12 AM   #39
craftdr
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Alright so I'm not crazy. I knew I read him say that. That's where my initial disappoint came from. Like what we're saying and seeing just wasn't true and we were making it up. Quite a shock for the issue to just be swept under the rug like that by the big dog in charge.

If you read the entire post instead of just the excerpt, you will see that they are not sweeping it under the rug. Options to try to fix the issue were given and if those did not work you are asked to send them league files so they can look at it. If you want it to be fixed, maybe that would be the way to go. The post is below, also it's only one page back if you want to read it.

Nope, does not happen in our tests. When I looked at this I tested various fictional league configurations and did not run across this, except for the quickstart, which was fixed by increasing revenue a bit.

If you have it happen in your league configuration, I suggest increasing the national / local TV contracts and assigning new fictional financials to teams. If this still does not work, PM me & upload leagues files. It will take a bit until I will respond though, as I am going on an extended break now.

OK, back on topic
craftdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #40
One Dog
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:

I know everyone does their own thing, but couldn't you just go into Commish mode and extend his contract for whatever team he decides to sign with? Just get out in front of it.
One Dog is offline   Reply With Quote